Few items/bugs that I have noticed... (6)

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by boxer, Feb 6, 2014.

1. boxer

boxer Registered

6 items/bugs that I have noticed...
    1. While playing multiplayer, I have see cars skin automatically change while going around the track... initially I thought I was seeing things but I clearly saw it yesterday... car went from full red to blue... (or something like that)... is this normal?
    2. Username during multiplayer... sometimes It’s Boxer as in the forum name and sometimes it’s my account user name!!! I can’t figure out why this happens
    3. Why doe’s my single player car/track/settings get overwritten when I got multiplayer... that is frustrating... I have to reset/style of UI, Check all cars & tracks, and change from deck of cards to tree view every time I change between the two!!
    4. The UI selection seems to get slower and slower... with the previous build the UI response times where very slow... with the new build everything seemed to be back to normal... The more I use it appears to be getting slower and slower.
    5. What is the proper install folder(s) for rFactor2? I would like to know so I can have my spotter back. are the paths hard coded?
    6. MP-This has happened to me a few times...I select a server/race to join but then when I finish joining the server, either there is no one there or the number of people is a lower then on the initial screen... the other affect is that I can’t join the race... (I have a feeling there isn’t a race to join).

Boxer

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

#1 I've raced online quite a bit and have never seen that happen.
    #2 Depends on the server settings I believe. When I race @ race2play it uses my real name, when on other servers it uses my nickname.

3. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

2. What I know in the server/multiplayer.ini is a value for that.

5. Not sure about the spotter but I noticed that I can hear the spotter loud and clear with the WSGT2 Megane Trophy. I assume it has something to do with how the car sounds are done. There are many other mods where I can hear the spotter not at all to almost not. .

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

First I have to assume you don't have UAC or less than admin rights, because one/either of those will stop your data files going where you select during the install.

With that out of the way, point both install folders (the main/core folder, and the data folder) to the same place during installation. If you install to C:\Games\rFactor2, for example, make sure when it asks you where to install the data you give it the same location. Splitting the main and data folders will generally stop the spotter working.

So no, there aren't any hardcoded folders you need to use. Just have everything in one place. I have rF2 installed to my second partition without issues.

The matchmaker list doesn't get updated instantly when the number of players on a server changes. It might be something like 3 minute intervals, so what it says about the number of players or game state might be incorrect when you join. Especially if it takes a little while to select a car and load everything.

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

2. Check your .PLR file and see if there is 1 name or the 2 names used (there's 2 options)
    Some servers force a real name, others don't, I thinks that's what happening to you.

Also you can (or even should) have the same name in the rfactor.name file:

Go to (windows) user\appdata\roaming\.rfactor\rfactor\rFactor.name
    First right click/properties and un-check read-only and apply.
    Open the .name file, change your nick to the exact name and save.
    right click the file again, thick read-only and apply.
    mission complete.
    (this enables you to use the same name for both nick and user name)

It could take 2 server join-attempts for rf2 to 'get it', no idea why but I've had this happen before.

3. this annoys the hell out of me as well. rf2 is using the last-used vmod. so any server you joined (or failed to join but still got the vmod) will force that vmod in single player.
    I don't think there is a way around this atm.

4. yup, a common problem I think, the more you have, the longer things load, even a simple menu change can take quite a while.

6. boxer

boxer Registered

Thanks for the feed back guys...

Lazza I accepted the default install folders... so the core is in program files and the data is in the "my documents".... if they need to be in the same folder then there is a path issue either in code or some ini/setup file. But I'll give the that a try... (as soon we get a new build :).

I'll try to figure out if item #1 is a user skin loading delay...(i'll keep an eye on it)

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, that's the confusing thing. They don't 'need' to be in the same folder at all, but the spotter and sometimes things like marbles seem to work better/only when you install everything to one folder. I see the rF2 webpage says it's best to install everything in the default locations, and I'm sure that could help with debugging if ISI do it that way and everyone else did the same, but when installing to one place works better it's hard to follow their (possibly outdated) instructions ;)