Fencing anti-alias problem.

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by toebee, Feb 25, 2012.

1. toebee

toebee Registered

Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be causing this and how to fix it? I have tried different settings on my video card, in game, texture, and on the material itself. Nothing seems to make it better. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

1. enable mipmapping
    2. if you have mipmapping, then you probably have too much negative lod bias

And then there's the question if you're using alpha blending or alpha test (chroma transparency)

With blending that would be enough.

3. ethone

ethone Registered

4. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Mipmapping.

5. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

See if you get any better results switching on 'Antialiasing Transparency' in your NVidia drivers? Only a guess I need to warn you.
    By the way, it kills FPS, so expect to turn it straight off.

6. toebee

toebee Registered

I wasnt using any mipmapping before with a bias of 0. When I turn on mipmapping the image gets blurry. I added some negative bias to make it sharper but then I run into the same problem. Any suggestions on mipmapping settings? I see a whole bunch.

7. toebee

toebee Registered

8. toebee

toebee Registered

I already had it set to multisampling. Setting it to super or off didn't have any noticeable effect.

9. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

It is the case.
    A solution (doesn't remove it completely, but reduces a lot) is to use mipmapping and adjust lod bias to a value that gives good compromise between bluriness and moire effect.

That is of course if you're using blending, as mentioned before. If yo use alpha test (chroma) for transparency then there is also a matter of alpha channel value in mipmaps that needs to be dealt with.

Other stuff that helps is anisotropic filtering but this is something every user sets individually anyway (nice feature in game engine would be to allow modders to set anisotropy bias for individual textures aswell).

10. toebee

toebee Registered

I think im using alpha test (chroma). That is I have the source blend to one and dest to zero and the chroma checked in the material rollout. I will give the other way a try but I believe it had no effect the last time I tried.

11. toebee

toebee Registered

Changing the way the transparency is shown doesn't seem to have any effect on the moire effect.

12. ethone

ethone Registered

In a way having the moire effect is "realistic". You can observe it in real life too if you have the right (or wrong) kind of structure.

13. toebee

toebee Registered

That maybe but it seems to be exaggerated. I went through a ton of mipmap settings. Some make the appearance fuzzy some sharp. Then I would adjust the bias to make it look decent but I would always end up with the same moire effect.

14. mianiak

mianiak Registered

You could try make your wire texture um,, how to put it,, make the wire parts it's own mesh and material and instead of having the whole wire on the texture, have a section of it and tile it. You will end up with 2 faces together, 1 with the wire tiled, the other with the poles and safety cables.

Keep the texture the same size, but redo the texture as if you had just enlarged a section (but don't just enlarge it cause it will look bad, re-do it again). Then go remove the wire parts from the existing texture. Now you should have no blurry mipmaps, if you still do, then try manually making your mipmaps.

To duplicate the mesh, copy the fence object to a new object, then in poly submode, extrude it a few mm (bout 5) then switch to edge loop submode and select the edge loop, then ctrl + click poly submode (this will select the sides that were created from the extrude), then delete them, set your new material ID use uvw xform to set the tiling.
    Now just attach this new mesh to the existing fence mesh and your done.

[ED] Why you extrude it like that is just to move it evenly away from the other mesh, so they aren't on top of each other, and use local normal when extruding.

15. Bink

Bink Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
  16. toebee

toebee Registered

I just tried this with a section. Increasing the size of the chain link texture didn't really help for me. I have a 512x512 texture with one link now. Even with my own mipmaps. It does help having the chainlink on another material because I can fuz out most of the anti-alias without making the post fuzzy. Im still playing with it but so far no clear (pun intended) solution.

17. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

18. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Required:
    Direct3D 10

19. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

This sample was written in DX10, that's why it requires DX10, but the trick itself only requires DirectX 8 vertex shaders, so you could do it on GeForce 3 Ti. And it's not the only way of doing it.

Either way, it's too early to dig into this kind of details. ISI needs to focus on more important things.