Favorite type of racing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kknorpp001, Aug 17, 2012.

?

What is your favorite type of racing?

1. GT

62 vote(s)
    58.5%
  2. Touring. Cars

52 vote(s)
    49.1%
  3. Rally / off road

27 vote(s)
    25.5%
  4. Karting and/or everything else b/c all racing is fun

13 vote(s)
    12.3%
  5. F1 but I don't think others are stupid

34 vote(s)
    32.1%
  6. F1 and other types of racing is stupid and a waste of time

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

What is your favorite type of racing?

2. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

GT1, 2 and 3 and Porsche Cup.

Edit: Oh, and Historic GT cars as in rF1 HistorX mod. Best mod ever created imho. Same for Enduracers mod.

3. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Where are unmodified or only slightly modified street cars? ;)

Some do also like banger racing and drag racing too.

Hillclimbing is missing too, also guys doing oval racing might wish some classes too.

I could pick only one rally and offroad, but those are really not any more same as F1 is to touring cars. I personally prefer lower class racing as there our hardware limitations are not so obvious, also they provide better racing in general. There is a lot more racing than those top classes, which are only tip of iceberg and I find not much interest to those at all.

4. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Agreed 100% regarding HistorX mod!!!!

5. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Cool video and agreed regarding your comments regarding my poor attempt at list racing types. Unfortunately, in my haste I did not pick enough choices for the poll and was kinda being silly b/c strong bias of some F1 racers but also sincerely wanting to confirm that there is interest in other types of racing so it is good to hear from others than those that believe F1 is the center of the universe.

6. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Formula 1 is, to me at least, the most boring type of racing. It's only big because of the money involved. I'd much rather watch REAL race cars on TV than these overpowered aircraft which don't even fly. Well, sometimes they do.

Edit: I have to add another racing series I'd love to have in rF2. ALMS and the European counterpart. Great and awesome cars in there.

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I forgot drifting and truck racing at least and intentionally left out tractor pulling as well as lawnmover racing together with monster trucks, there are so many racing genres out there that we certainly can't get them all to poll :p

I believe that they do actually race with school buses at some places?

For some more uncommon racing, how about skidoo racing, that might be close to possible to emulate by placing two wheels near each other at rear and front tires to look like skis, it might take quite bit of tinkering to get that one right.

But it might be already bit too much for racing crowd, maybe not making sense at all to most, some might even get angry from such abuse of rF2 engine, but I'll say we need Madcowie here to create some more crazy stuff ;)

8. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

"Overpowered aircraft that don't even fly" ROFL Awesome! I was beginning to think something was wrong with me b/c I just can't get into it at all.

9. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

One things for sure if it moves someone's going to race it! Also +1 regarding Madcowie. Such great rf1 stuff from him. Is he still at it?

10. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

How about swamp and mud bogging?

rFactor needs serious swamp physics :cool:

11. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

And because oval racing was not mentioned, here is semi trucks doing it:

I personally love almost everything that comes out from USA racing wise.

I haven't heard him doing any modding lately, I hope he comes back with rF2. He is my favorite modder for sure.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012
  12. ROON

ROON Registered

I enjoy racing anything, though open wheelers are my favourite.

13. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

Now this is awesome racing! would love to see mods like that coming up on rf2.
    i personally really don't have any interest in F1. i haven't even tried the formula ISI cars :p

14. Schueppe

Schueppe Registered

I pretty much like all types of racing, but cars from the 60*s 70's 80's the most. Some of the early 90's are lovely too, but I mostly drive open wheelers, not sure why though.

15. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Then you will have good times in future as there are currently at least two mods focusing that era cars under works, also MB190 I saw, which is 80's car.

Best cars with some character was indeed made at those years, or that is how it is in my head, something to do with growing up those times, I guess :D

They do 24 hour racing in those, two classes, one has budget limit and requirement to sell car after race, to keep costs down. Tires were Continental Sport Contact 2, but I don't know if they have changed that during few last years. Cheapest way to get racing on asphalt around here as costs are divided by several team members.

My only racing experience really, haven't done more than one session though, but it did give some perspective and how it is different to lap alone on track compared to real race situation. Still too expensive for me to do.

But this is what I plan to bring rF2 (or rF3 if I don't find someone to make graphical part for it):

Engines are standard, only freeflow air intake allowed, exhaust is standard but rules allow using back box from 340 diesel, tires were Toyo semi slicks and front camber is allowed to change to -3.5 degrees to reduce tire wear, also springs and shocks are allowed to be changed, but type must be same, interior mostly removed + rollcage, no glassfibre parts etc. ~53/47 weight distribution, around 115hp 2l engine, gearbox at rear axle which is similar to what is in 928 Porsche, but not quite so complex, these give Miata/Mx5 run for their money when they race together. Again something only few knows that it exists, but fun factor is huge.

There are a lot of great racing series out there, which just don't get much tv time, so people don't know about them, also they might not be so much cool or bling factor as is with F1, but when doing virtual racing, they can offer so much better close racing that it is shame such are not made more.

Lower class tintop racing is one poll option that would be interesting to see how it ranks among people. I think that is why LFS still has so much people racing it as it offers so good close racing with lower class cars, 5 laps swapping places almost each corner, driving within 10cm each other and finishing within 1 second, I doubt that will happen with F1.

16. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

You gave two options for F1, but no option for other open wheel racing, no option for ovals and dirt ovals....

You pretty much excluded every NASCAR / Indycar fan from your poll.

17. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

ACO-rules racing isn't on there, "GT" option doesn't really cover that.

18. FONismo

FONismo Registered

GT and Proto for me, even better 90's GT and Proto

19. CraigT

CraigT Registered

Vintage F1 (yes...I still race GPL)
    Endurance series car types

20. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

+1!

useless poll ever! :p