Fanatec CSR wheel question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Johnny Speed, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

@Lazza responded to a post about FFB mutiplier back in May of 2021:

"rF2 then added this to the controller.JSON files:
    Code:
    "Steering torque capability":2.5,
    "Steering torque capability#":"The maximum torque capability of the wheel (in Nm, obviously)",
    This is how you tell the game what your wheel is capable of."

I have a Fanatec CSR Forza Edition wheel: xbox 360, ps3, PC compatable. It's old, but it works well.
    I looked on the intraweb via google and all to find the torque specs of my wheel with no luck. Does anyone know what
    value to put into that .json file that matches my old but trusty wheel? Will it even make a difference?
    Is that .json file still relevant? Does anyone know what the torque specs are for this wheel?
    I just want to get the best out of this sim, with the equipment I have. Thanks!

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

From a quick google I think the CSR wheels top out at around 3Nm.

That means that setting this parameter to the correct value will have NO effect whatsoever in basically any car you drive in rF2.

And just so you don't think I'm picking on you (or your wheel), that's basically also true for the Fanatec CSW v2 (which does over 7Nm). Very few cars will have a 'peak' torque that low. (and I mean, if you asked me to list which cars in rF2 do, I don't think I could come up with any - even a 900kg tintop with no aero and slow steering will produce more than that)

This parameter is for very strong wheels, the very top end of belt driven and DD. If you don't have a monster wheel, it's best to just let the game do its best to use your wheel's full range, and it will do that with this parameter on its default settings or anything under about 8 or 9Nm.

If you wanted to 'feel' some difference between different cars, like you're jumping from a light car with no aero into a modern formula car, you could set this parameter to 15, 20, even 25Nm - but you will have very weak FFB when driving the weaker cars. I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Johnny Speed likes this.
  3. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

Thats cool, I have no problem with how the wheel feels to me now. I was just thinking 'maybe' I could get more out of it. Now I can set that to rest and enjoy what I have without worry. Thank you for answering my question.