**Fanatec Community Testing** - VOTE FOR YOUR REPRESENTATIVE!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by ZeosPantera, Apr 9, 2012.

?

Who should represent ISI as Community Tester for the new Fanatec Wheel?

Poll closed Apr 16, 2012.
  1. ADUBZ

21 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. Alex Ball

23 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Fergy

18 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. Fohat

27 vote(s)
    22.5%
  5. John Crichton

33 vote(s)
    27.5%
  6. Marc Collins

22 vote(s)
    18.3%
  7. SeaHawksFan1

20 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. smbrm

24 vote(s)
    20.0%
  9. Simon Hodge

20 vote(s)
    16.7%
  10. VLA

21 vote(s)
    17.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Now that all ten candidates have been selected it is up to all the members of the ISI forums to vote on who they think would be the best person to represent ISI and receive the wheel to make their community review. Below are links to each candidates Resume and/or if they rather keep their info private a link to their profile where you can see their forum posts. Click their names to see their forum stats.

**I have allowed multiple votes, This is not a requirement but will allow you to upvote your top picks should a single candidate not be your clear choice**

Poll Closes in 7 days.

If you are one of the ten feel free to elaborate in this thread why you should get the vote. If you are a voter, feel free to post what you hope to get out of the final review. What setups the winner should try and what mods you think would work best.

Thank you to all the applicants and huge thank you to ISI and all the other community members voting on this poll. Good luck to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012
  2. zild1221

zild1221 Registered

Please post the "private" resumes. How are we supposed to know who we are voting for if we can't see them?

3. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

The users are being contacted and they will post their resume's and anything else they wish to add here in this thread. I will update the first post to indicate when this happens.

4. sg333

sg333 Registered

On some other forums, votes are being cast by people who mysteriously joined the same day. Dont know if you can tell or not, but they should be excluded if possible.

5. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

It will be dealt with. I am hoping to have a few hundred votes which would limit the validity of cheating anyway.

6. smbrm

smbrm Registered

· Favorite Games (and platforms)

I have been a PC sim racer since 1990. I started sim racing with Pole Position and a keyboard, graduating through various sims: World Circuit, Indycar Racing, the Grand Prix Franchise, Grand Prix Legends, F1 Challenge & F12002, GTR2 and rFactor. I currently league race in the VLMS/ERL LMP2. Prior to that I league raced with the old MNRL in various classes including LMP2, GroupC, Indycar & F5000.

· Driving style: Road GT, Road F1, Oval, Rally, Drift, Other

Endurance Sports car racing, Open wheel Indycar, F1, F5000

· Your age: 59

· Country (Location):Canada

· Current gear (Sim, PC and Console):
    Starting with a Virtual Pilot, followed by a Guillemot Ferrari force feedback wheel, I now race with a G25 Wheel and G25 pedals with an AP Electrix Load Cell Mod and Bodner cable mounted in a self designed/built racing rig.

http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=2493

· Links to reviews you made in the past or other texts that show volunteer's expertise:

My background in racing is on the engineering side. As a mechanical engineer specializing in engine lubrication, I have worked with F2000, Rothmans Porsche Challenge, Champcar and F1, including the opportunity to design performance enhancing engine lubricants for the 1988 & 1989 Formula One World Championship Winning Team. At present I participate in technical team management with an amateur F2000 team. I find sim racing a useful tool to understanding and developing race car engineering expertise.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/100/img4864small.jpg/

I have a keen eye for detail, being a builder of highly detailed scale model racing cars.

http://members.shaw.ca/millersbrm/speeddetails.html

As an author, I write, illustrate and publish Model Detailing Profiles to assist scale model builders with accurate detailing of their projects. Additionally, I have also authored product brochures & supporting technical literature, presentations, magazine articles, technical articles, papers(SAE & Institute of Mechanical Engineers).

· A short introduction and statement why you would be the best person for the job along with anything else you believe will woo your fellow community members(and me) into selecting you for the task :

I have always had an interest in the sport of sim motor racing, its technical challenges, and its linkages to motorsport. I would like to offer my unique combination of experiences, and engineering perspective to the Fanatec Clubsport wheel review!

7. John Crichton

John Crichton Registered

hello everyone
    never posted before on this forum as ive never found something relevant to bring to the community so far but i was very active on the rscnet forum (Stephss was my nickname).i think this review would be a nice start in this community
    anyway i wish good luck to all the contestants
    thank you

here is my resume:
    · Favorite Games (and platforms):
    - Rfactor ,Rfactor2 ,GTR² ,Race07 ,Pcars on PC
    - GT5 ,F1 2011,F1 CS 2006 on PS3

· Driving style: Road GT, Road F1, Oval, Rally, Drift, Other
    - i race with everything which comes with 4 wheels ^^ but for now i mostly race with prototypes ,GT's and touring cars

· Your age:
    - I'm 33 (born in 1978)

· Country (Location):
    - I live in south east France

· Current gear (Sim, PC and Console) :
    - pc:
    Model: Home Built
    CPU: Intel core2extreme qx9650 @4.0 ghz
    Motherboard: MSI P45DIAMOND
    Memory: 8GB DDR3
    Video: ATI 6990 4GB GDDR5 , FUll HD LG projector ,100" screen
    Audio: CREATIVE XFI Fatality
    Internet Connection: Orange 20mb
    Controller: LOGITECH G25

- my G25 set is on a rSeat evo .i own the g25 since 2006 and it begins to shows his years of intensive usage :)
    - i own a PS3 and a Xbox360 (i know that the CSW won't work with it )

· A short introduction and statement why you would be the best person for the job along with anything else you believe will woo your fellow community members(and me) into selecting you for the task
    - i have a long history of (beta)testing especially mods on ISI 's softwares beginning with f12000 ^^ ,i was part of the RSR team (ETCC03 and f1c mod for F1c and NAGT mod for rfactor),i was also part of the NFR team(tracks and ETCC03 mod conversion for rfactor) and i worked on the physics for the mini uk 2006 also on rfactor.
    - I'm part of the rSeat.fr racing team ( http://www.facebook.com/TeamrSeat ,) we are doing alot of endurance races.lately we've raced at racedepartment in the RDLMS in p1 with strong results and now we are racing in gt1 (Saleen S7r) at http://endurance-inside.fr/ ,in which we ve just won the 12h of Sebring in our category.
    with big endurance races to come with sometimes up to 5 hours stints , i would like to review the CSW "in action" ,i mean i would be nice ,i think ,to have a different kind of review ,what is better to test a wheel than hard racing with it ?
    - Finally i'm simracing since 1998 (gpl ^^) i ve tested alot of hardware during those years so i have the experience needed to give this wheel a fair review

thank you

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Should not show poll results till you vote either , never understood that .....

9. VLA

VLA Registered

Smbrm, That's a very impressive resume. I would like to employ you as a friend based on that.

You have my vote...hands down. Well what can I say:

I'm a Qualified Electrical Mechanic.... Industrial, Commercial and Domestic.
    I furthered my studies in the financial Industry, acquired
    Authority as an "Australian Certified Investment Planner" (A.C.I.P) retired from that
    Continued self employment as a Business Entrepreneur, investments and the creations of businesses in fields ranging from Financial to Retail .....Retired from that
    Over those years, I've done Public speaking, in various states, written thousands of documents, at levels as high as Government status, designed hundreds of financial structures for private and business personal and it goes on and on...boring I know.

What this means to you is...Not much goes past me without a question attached, and you can't do what I do unless you have a keen eye for detail, and an exploring nature at the same time.

Now..at 52...I'm at low key status but still in business.

Family and friends....nic name me "the Scientists"....my son told me to put that in Lol. Perhaps, cause I look into everything, problem solver I suppose.

I still believe, I am a good candidate, simply because I probably sit amongst the higher percentage of the sim racing community
    as someone that wants a product that is Plug and play....and gets very upset if I need to start using my spanners and screw drivers into it after a short period of ownership.

We all know you get what you pay for, This product has boasted it's performance equivalent to high end products costing up to $3000 plus, and it has a very clever marketing strategy behind it all...and it's all good business and respected.

Consumers of this product are simple die hard and passionate sim Gamers and fun people to be around enjoying their hobby,

I have no Love for Fanatec products, I'm very high on the dislike, distrust side. If I did...I could overlook some important detail. Having said that for whatever it's worth...I never accept a review from lovers or supporters of a Company in this instance.

If you want someone to be convinced that this product will hold up to its popularity Then....you need to select those reviewers across the board from technical background to manipulate the product and those that simply plug and play and notice.

Thankyou for this opportunity....enough said. and Smbrm..you still got my vote..you're the man!

10. Seahawks1Fan

Seahawks1Fan Registered

Hey fellas,

My resume is posted above, but wanted to let you know I fully intend to do an extensive video review of the CSW. My expectation for the price of the CSW is that it should provide the most realistic experience available and will give truthful, honest feedback to the sim racing community. Sim Racing is my #1 hobby, so much that I started Gone Broke Racing last year. I also do video recaps of all of our V8 races example

I'm just your average, married with children kinda guy (no resemblance to Al Bundy by the way) that is looking for the ultimate sim racing experience so I can escape from reality once a week. :)

11. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Well thanks for your support and gratious comments, VLA. Your CV no doubt stands you in good stead in the pursuit of your passion for sim racing as well as other life pursuits!

Your hardware portfolio is very intriguing and I would be interested in learning more about your experiences with it. I'll send you a PM. It looks like an awesome project and the realism it brings to your sim racing is no doubt very compelling.

But,you are quite correct, there are a number of ways to tackle reviews such as this, but the one absolute requirement is to be able to see past the marketing and apply a rigorous approach to an ubiased performance review. Whatever the approach, it still needs to be balanced and appealing to the curiousity and needs of the full range of potential users.

I must admit that I have never even touched a Fanatec product so being able to take a clean sheet approach would be an interesting exercise.

Once again, thanks for your support, and good luck to you as well!

smbrm

12. ADUBZ

ADUBZ Registered

smbrm and VLA you guys certainly have a lot of experience, I'm just coming up the food chain and hope to learn and be involved in as much as you guys.

I'm an apprentice electronics & communications technician by trade (I've also got mechanical & engineering qualifications under my belt) and any type of motorsport I love, I used to race karts a few years ago but lacked the financials back then to keep going.

· Favorite Games: I have been a true sim racer since the GPL days (I was still in school LOL), it was the one which got my blood pumping for sim racing. My heart truly lies with rFactor, from a serious racing and modding perspective there is no other sim that can touch it. I also play a lot of other racing games just to sit down and have some fun; pCARS, F1 2011, RichardBurnsRally, GameStockCar, Super Mario Kart 64, NFS, Forza & Gran Turismo.

· Driving style: Any type of motorsport, I love it!.

· Your age: 19

· Country (Location): Queensland, Australia

· Current gear (Sim, PC and Console): I'm serious about my sim-racing and modding, I spared (nearly) no expense on my setup and had to have the top range pc (you can see my specs in my profile). I built my own cockpit (based off the racebase with my own touch) with triple 24" monitors attached, running the good-old Logitech G25 with custom RedBull F1 wheel (knitter buttons, sli pro & encoders; courtesy of simracnwheels) and had to go balls out and buy the Perfect Pedal (what a magnificent piece of hardware). I also have an Xbox360 Slim (with xcm converter for g25) & an original release day PS3, both of which I use regularly but PC takes more of my time.

I'll be honest I have never done a review on a product, but you know the saying "there's a first time for everything". I'm take my sim-racing very seriously and I know the difference that hardware can make to a lap time, It was great timing that this tesing offer came up as I was looking to get a new wheel to replace my nearly out-dated G25. I will be openly honest about any product I review, I haven't owned any Fanatec products as yet to it's a great clean slate. I plan to post the review on my home website www.mak-corp.net for all our visitors to see, I am working on the 2008 F1 mod so it would be great to develop the mod with the Fanatec wheel in mind.

Thanks for the opportunity to be chosen to test these fine products, and I thank in advance all the people who will put in their vote for me.

Cheers,
    ADUBZ (Ash)

13. zild1221

zild1221 Registered

The only problem with this is that some people are actually joining the forum just to vote. Say, I was running here, my friend isn't a member yet. I say "Hey so-and-so, can you sign up and vote for me", and they do so. It appears sketchy, but really isn't. I know I personally have a handful of friends I race with that aren't a member of ANY sim racing forums.

Also, my vote goes to Alex Ball. I've read some of your reviews as well as raced with you over on RD. The reviews were very comprehensive and included high quality pictures.

14. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Well if they aren't actually MEMBERS OF THE COMMUNITY and probably will never log in again they should have no say in who does what regardless of their friendship with "you" in real life.

Should getting your mother to sign up and vote count? Nope.

15. Fergy

Fergy Registered

First of all thank you for the nomination.

Just a little more information about me.
    Name:
    Bryan Ferguson. I run a public server in rfactor 2 at the moment call ARI, normally on the top of the list if your interested. Those who enter the room are always faced with challenges as the room settings are always difficult. The two main reasons are one: to keep crashers out, they simply don't have the patience for it and two: to find those who like to push there settings and driving skills to the limit. It works very well I have to say. The last week has been extreme weather settings with conditions constantly changing during qualy and the race. The feedback has been great so far.
    This leads the some of the main reasons I have a passion for this sport/hobby online racing. Talking about physics, settings, peripherals and so on, helping those who need help and getting help and opinions from other users is to me the make up of Sim Racing. I've made many friends of which some became real life friends spending race weekends at Spa and BBQ's and so on and even met my wife through F1RST3 many years ago which in turn hauled me 14,000 ks from Melbourne to Munich in 2007 (but that's another story:))
    In summary, to me it's important to know how it all works. Understanding the game it's self, how it relays it's message to the wheel and how you interpret the feel all fit together, that's going to be the skill required here and that's what I feel I have to offer.

Cheers,
    Bryan Ferguson/Fergy

16. Alex Ball

Alex Ball Registered

Hello again guys.

Many thanks for putting me into the poll, and for the votes I've received so far.

I'm sure you won't be disapointed with my reports and photos if I was to become the tester.

My resume can be found here should you wish to re-read it, but essentially, I am a tech-head, hardcore sim-racer, with proven real life on track experience, and I really love hardware more than I love software and racing.

I have done many karting events, as well as track days (mainly in my Lotus Elise) on many of the UK's best tracks, as well as the mighty Nurburgring, and also run a modified off-road LR Discovery which I take into the mud a lot so I have experience there too.

My wife always complains that I spend too much time building, modifying and tweaking my rig and not enough time playing - and that's certainly true!

Cheers,
    Alex.

17. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I go for the mature guy, COMMON SMBRM, SHOW 'EM HOW ITS DONE, (cause i cant)...
    regards, nikos

18. zild1221

zild1221 Registered

I disagree. Just because they are not an active member of a certain community, doesn't mean they aren't a member of the sim racing community as a whole. They own a wheel and pedals, own the software, and they race. The people I am talking about know "me" better than any person on any forum, no matter how many posts I have, reviews I have written, or attention I bring to myself.

19. sg333

sg333 Registered

This is the exact problem though. We dont want "your friends" voting for "you", we want impartial members of the community who can gauge someone on their previous history of reviews, technical ability etc.

20. Alex Ball

Alex Ball Registered

Why does active-ness matter for this? Surely the person who will review it most accurately and fairly should win? Whoever wins will report back, so it doesnt really matter how active they were before, or after that.

I've been in the sim racing community for longer than I care to remember, but I rarely post - I try and keep my replies to be honest, or useful responses.