Failure to launch RFactor 2 in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Racer535, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

Well, this is just plain weird!

2. Racer535

Racer535 Registered

Agreed! Before I approached this forum, I spent a couple weeks combing through this and other forums looking for and trying various fixes to no avail. A lot of what has been suggested here I had already tried in one way or another. Perhaps there is some random item within my Windows installation that has been corrupted or lost that is causing the problem. I have no intention of doing a slick and reinstall of my operating system just to see if it allows me to access one program when everything else I'm running is operating flawlessly. I very much appreciate all the suggestions that have been posted here. Thank you all. I think maybe this is just one of those inexplicable issues that doesn't have a simple solution. I can run RFactor2 in 32 bit just fine, so I'll let myself be satisfied with that...its better than nothing.

3. cDan

cDan Registered

ça influe sur le fonctionnement de rFactor2 ?

4. Racer535

Racer535 Registered

I'm presuming your asking if switching the antialiasing to 5 made a difference...it did not.

5. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

You could try resetting windows, you don't have to reinstall everything....

Ignore method 3...
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ub...dows-10-without-losing-programs-4348.amp.html

Before that, you could (if you haven't already) a dism check and repair?

Have a quick Google before running the commands below to get a grasp of what the do... So you do t blame me if something goes wrong... ;)

sfc /scan now

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

6. Racer535

Racer535 Registered

That's an excellent suggestion, however, one false move and I'd risk messing up what I already have. Its not worth the risk the only reason I wanted this sim was as an improvement over the original RFactor. Graphically it is an improvement, but the need for Steam verification of every component means I can't easily modify a car in the sim to roughly match power-wise and gearing-wise to the car I drive in LeMons; something that was reasonably easy to do in the original. Since I was only going to use the sim for practice, this development renders the sim expendable as I still have the original with a car setup already. That alone are enough to keep me from going to extraordinary lengths to get it to run in 64 bit. I can just have fun trying out different cars and tracks in 32 bit and not use it as a practice tool.

7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I am not a modder but unless proven wrong the only thing stopping you tweaking a car's files is if they are encrypted, like S397 new DLC licensed content. Oh, and a working rF2. :(
    Steam is only a platform to host the game and content.
    If you Subscribe (download) to a mod from the Workshop you can copy the rfcmp file, once downloaded, then go and unsubscribe the mod. Then you put the rfcmp file in the Packages folder and it is just like any other non Workshop mod. Steam has no control of it, that also means it won't get updated but that wouldn't bother you I would imagine.

8. Racer535

Racer535 Registered

Interesting idea, I'll give that a try later today. Thanks for the input.

9. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Mmm thanks for the suggestion to put anti-aliasing to "Level 5" as it resolved my problem. I didn't launch rF2 for months and it was returning to the launcher each time I was clicking on "Race". This one is a pretty old bug I forgotten. I had this problem years ago.

10. muz_j

muz_j Registered

...so, out of curiosity is rF 2 working for you now or not ?
    If no, have you examined Windows event logs to see if there is a problem of some sort being logged?
    As a minimum, you should be checking both the System and Application event logs.

You need to work through things in a logical process of elimination - starting with the basics.

eg:
    1) Windows system information report - create it, export it and attach it to this thread.
    2) checking of all device drivers - particularly GPU, motherboard and sound card and controllers for potential issues - i.e. checking version numbers, document them, researching potential issues and if there's any doubt at all, you need to cleanly uninstall them, reboot the system, re-install them and test them to confirm things are working correctly.
    3) please confirm that rFactor 2 has never worked at all on your current system ? - as that is how this thread reads.
    4) you might need to go through each and every application and potentially system updates applied to your installation of windows to look for potential conflicts or issues. lists of both can be dumped either using screenshots or powershell. if you do not know how to do this, then I can detail it.
    5) do you have any issues at all highlighted in windows device manager ? (remember to show hidden devices)
    6) have you overclocked any of your hardware ? if so, have you attempted to run rF 2 at stock clock speeds ?
    7) has your computer been recently stress tested ?
    If not, then I strongly suggest you do that - if it was me, i'd run at least one pass of memtest86 and something like prime95, although I haven't had to do either for a couple of years, but given your scenario, I would do it overnight to rule out potential hardware degradation - your CPU, motherboard, GPU, memory and power supply can all degrade in ways that can result in unpredictable behavior. do not assume any of them are working at 100%, just because other software doesn't result in that same issues.
    https://www.raymond.cc/blog/test-system-stability-by-putting-heavy-load-on-system-resources/

...those items are a good start. If you want further help, then provide the items listed above.

11. liam tollard-williams

liam tollard-williams Registered

Unfortunately been battling with the exact same issues, bought rfactor 2 a few months back played it once and then all of a sudden stops working on launch and after doing everything in this forum I still can’t get it to run any ideas ?

12. lagg

lagg Registered

13. liam tollard-williams

liam tollard-williams Registered

hey mate sorry I never replied got frustrated with trying after a while and jumped back on asset corsa for a while. I am back to trying to get it up and running and at one stage after a full reinstallation it ran again last night without any extra steam workshop content. haven't tried it since but will have another go when I get home later and see if it still works. I have a feeling it was certain workshop content that may not of been fully uninstalled from the first time that may of been the cause but I won't be too sure until I re try it tonight. cheers for all the help and advice.

lagg likes this.