F3 Fanatics

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by Bryan Birtwell, Jun 16, 2012.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Thanks for response Bryan :)

btw I dont dislike non ISI content, on the contrary.
    But my personal view on servers generally is that they should stick with one track at the time, maximum 2, maybe change it after a few days?
    I know its more work for you admins, but what I observed is, if you practice and race in one track, when you change track, most of the people leave, setting up and get used to more than one track in an evening is too much imho.

Again, this is just my personal opinion.

2. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I'll have to check it out to better understand but yeah if it's a moving target then not sure how to prepare. However with ISR servers they have loyal folks that know and have practiced and tested on every track so maybe that works too who knows.

3. Emery

Emery Registered

Strangely, about half of those racers are Europeans in the wee hours...

4. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Hiya Nikos,

You're most entirely welcome!

As you probably know, I ran the server that way for just over 2 years (meaning one car/track per vMOD).

Lately a few of the "regulars" have requested multiple tracks.

The vMOD we're talking about "Lots-0-Tracks" had 14 tracks and was just plain stupid.

It has been deleted from the server and will never see the light of day again. : ) (Unless 'someone else' doesn't learn a lesson from my mistake loads it up.)

The F3 Fanatics! went down to like 3 or 4 drivers at night with that vMOD loaded.)

I will be running any 'third party' content as a stand alone from this point forward, the exception being, maybe, the Virtua_LM tracks. I will run those as a multi-tracked vMOD.

Hope this helps,

Bryan

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2014
  5. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I've found that 3 tracks works really well. Keeping it to 2 ISI tracks (I include Mid-O and Sebring in that category) plus 1 add-on track is usually perfect- everyone has the stock tracks and so the only real chance of a conflict is with the add-on track. This is how I have been doing it on my own server.

6. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

This is of course all to change once get-mod is more accessable :) Once people can download tracks from the server all the fuss about having the right files at the right time disappears. Then, then, then...

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Yes and no, downloading 10 say tracks 100mb say each, you have to d/l 1g. Then again you probably have some of them already...

8. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Only completely fresh installs will have to do that. And if it works well, people are going to sit and wait. And even if there is people encountering a 1 gb download, it is quickly downloaded if the server is capable of delivering fast enough upload.
    I see a proper, easy accessable get-mod feature as a game-changer for servering.

9. Bryan Birtwell

One Car and one track per vMOD is the best way to go. I might wait for one track to download... I would never wait for two.

The only reason the F3 Fanatics is running multiple tracks is because most newbies will have at least downloaded the IsI content. And, if they haven't,
    it's all available on one page of one website.

Those other vMODs with multiple tracks were a nightmayer for most if not all who tried to enter the server... It was a test... It failed... I'm sorry.

The get missing components works like a charm on my server, it's the mods that don't. But I digress...

The fact is that it takes quite a bit of time to download and install even two average sized tracks. (up to an hour at my house)

Anyways it's all good... some folks want a bunch of tracks and get bored quickly... others want me to run one track for several days at a time.

Personally speaking, if the server broke and was only able to run Nords75, I'd be a happy camper! Hmmm... I can make that happen... : )

Hope this helps someone!

Bryan

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2014
  10. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Does it still look very bright and harsh on 770? I like the old layout, but the visuals are rough.

11. Bryan Birtwell

Yes, the looks of that track leaves a lot to be desired, but it's such a blast to drive!

I was actually just being absurd to point out that one server can't please everyone.

I'm staying with one track per mod (for the most part) because, I spent two and a half hours trying to find and install two tracks and one car to enter some one else's server a couple nights ago... And that was with the help of those in that server (they were using my Team Speak). The time was in the downloads. I, and I'm assuming a large amount of rF2 players, don't have mega download speeds. I had all the same stuff downloaded and installed on my server in 6 minutes. My server has 1 gig of bandwidth... my home connection is a bit slower I guess... lol

Anyways, I know I got away from your question about Nords75. I'd like to see that track finished or re-done to improve the graphics.

Bryan

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I do not understand anyone talking about poor quality conversion these days.

Sort of how GPLers detractors looked at it, never realizing the beauty was in the "actual driving " .

.........................how sad for them.

Same as Jarama and Kyalami in rF2, they are easy in my top ten of best rF2 tracks.

Sure they look very ordinary but that is far from the point.

Simply put they "come to life" with the F3 chassis........ !

lopl

13. Bryan Birtwell

14. clockit

clockit Registered

Bryan, where can I get version 2.0 of Mid Ohio? I've had 2.01 installed for ages and can't find a link to version 2.0

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
  15. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

16. Bryan Birtwell

Thanks and sorry.... I'm on it now!

17. Tucker Fleming

Tucker Fleming Registered

TechSpark Rocks! Fun stuff, thanks guys!

18. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Funzy? :)

19. Tucker Fleming

Tucker Fleming Registered

Funzy Wunzy with Bacon on it!

20. Bryan Birtwell