f1 driver Max Verstappen joins (sim) team Red Line

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Snyperal

Snyperal Registered

he has massive balls of steel for todays overtake. well done.

2. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yeah, it was brave move! Very entertaining and scary as hell at the same time. Could have ended up like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj-6ajA0790

Also believe Pirelli should double check their tires. It was just pure luck Rosberg and Vettel avoided big crashes during the weekend which could have been very serious or even fatal. Something needs to be done.

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I dunno, Pirelli is required to deliver tires that won't last, Rosberg's incident seemed to be a cut in the tire, Vettel's tire was pure wear.
    And going 50% on one tire....(or two different tires as Bottas tried lol)

Vettel was upset, and he should be, but take his comment with a grain of salt, he was still hyper on adrenaline and his team seemed to try to get rid of the disadvantage vs Mercedes by going beyond the limit. This is what you can get doing that.

If 'something needs to be done' we will be going back to the boring no-tire changes of the past. at least this is entertaining! their call, their loss. we win :)

I for one am much more concerned about the monsoon of penalties going through the grid, it's ridiculous.

4. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yep, but tire should lose it's grip instead of exploding into million pieces without any warning.

5. Led566

Led566 Registered

Vettel was still doing 55.5-56.0 so he was well behind the wear limits.
    It definitely was something else...

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Fair points guys. Although I have no idea just how fast these modern tires would be going from 'useable' to 'beyond usable'

Meanwhile Pirelli is striking back saying they wanted a mandatory limit for the tires in 2013(?) (50% distance for hard, 30% for softs) but that got rejected.

7. JeDa

JeDa Registered

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

nice one JeDa. :)

Pretty bad visual input lag there in what looks like pcars?

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1

Crap that is bad at times check the La Source. :eek:

.....besides tyres look like no feeling.

P.S. I think the screen positioning and FOV are hideous ?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015
  10. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yeah, horrendous lag. :) Don't know what game it is. FOV pretty bad too.

In this Alonso/McLaren video you can't see virtual steering wheel but input lag doesn't seem to be low as car seems to react late (compare steering wheel input/car reaction into T1 for example):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmzSdtfIu-E

Don't know if those professional F1 sims have more important things than driver experience though.

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

hmm, doesn't look like there is any noticeable input lag in that video to me.

12. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

yeah, maybe I imagine F1 car should react more quickly to steering input than it actually does in reality. Anyway would be very nice to know what kind of total input lag those professional sims have.

13. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I think TechAde is you man for that question though he may or may not be able to divulge. :p

14. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Well, I remember Hamilton trying to ask about brakes from his engineer via radio. Engineer replied he's not allowed to answer that. Then Hamilton asked how's the weather like and engineer replied weather looks good! TechAde, what's the air temperature outside? :p

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

lol

"1ms....err, i mean 1atm." ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2015
  16. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

17. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yep, but that's just one part of the puzzle (I believe by refresh rate you meant physics engine sample rate). Graphics/display technology can have big influence too and I'm only interested in the total input lag generated by the whole system.

Very much agree this. But then again F1 is traveling perhaps 280 km/h into Silverstone T1, has huge amount of downforce, very stiff body and tires are no bubble gum either. Could imagine it should react pretty fast. Not very good quality but IMO it looks like real thing reacts noticeable faster compared to sim video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A81Qsb3I464

Of course it should react faster because there's no input lag in reality. :) I'm just wondering is the difference too big in that particular McLaren F1 sim compared to reality hence perhaps making driving experience less enjoyable.

18. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Another video, check at 0:49 quick turn into Copse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBMq1_rjCt4

It looks like car reacts instantly as in Alonso video there's noticeable delay. Just saying. For sure many things can affect. Perhaps Alonso had full tank and worn tires compared to Hamilton pole lap. Video decoder/encoder could create odd things. Etc etc.

Still hard to believe total lag would be only 1 ms. Would be magnificent of course! :)

19. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

yeah, would have been better if i said "15ms....err, i mean 15psi". Much more realistic.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2015
  20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It's a sim, not real-life, it's not perfect and has it's standout issues like every relatively primitive sim we have today.