[REL] F1 2013 Single Player v1.61 (DX 11 compatible, visors, rain update)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Frenky, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Frenky

Frenky Registered

Thank you Lgel and GCCRacer for your replies. Thanks Lgel for that post. I haven't seen it, but I'm aware of the settings.

@GCCRacer: as of 2013, if I'm not mistaken, engine mapping is basically what happens to the engine torque and speed when applying an amount of force on the gas pedal. Fuel supplied, air/fuel ratio and the amount of engine braking (remember the blown diffusors this way) are programmed into the power unit. Again if I'm not mistaken, only the driver can decide (is allowed?) when he changes gears. And so only he controls the revs. So to answer your question: I think it is a combination of the two.
    In the mod I'm certain that short-shiftings allows the engine to stay cooler and thus to lenghten the life time. I'm uncertain about the effect of fuel saving as I came up with various sources, for example http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/7151-Let-s-talk-about-new-engine-model-(engine-ini) and http://forum.virtualracinggroup.net/rfactor-f70/engine-rfactor-t4887.html and http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1638792, that describe that both the fuel saving (due to boost settings in this case), as well as the engine map settings are at this moment not implemented in rFactor 2.

To both:
    I've been thinking about changing the following lines in the engine data file:

EngineBoostRange=(0, 1, 3) // min setting, multiplier, amount of steps, so in this case the options are 0, 1, 2
    EngineBoostSetting=0 // default garage setting
    BoostEffects=(-300,-0.01,-0.02) // 300 RPM decrease per setting, fuel decrease (1%) per setting, engine wear rate (-2%) per setting
    BoostTorque=-0.0150 // 1.5% less torque per setting (applies to all RPMs)
    BoostPower=-0.0150 // 1.5% less horsepower per setting

This means that the default setting is max power and torque, whereas option 1 and 2 lowers the amount of torque, power, fuel usage and engine wear. With option 2 you can under rev your engine with 2x300 = 600 revs
    For me, there are a couple of questions with this:
    1. Is this realistic? Was this allowed in real F1 back in 2013?
    2. Are the changes (numbers) realistic? This example is just my educated guess and I could be plain wrong.
    3. Does the numbers have an effect in the game and is it helpfull at all? Some sources hinting about unimplemented stuff.

So in the end I'm uncertain about investing time to implementing and testing this. I would prefer to see an F1 2015 mod which I could edit or a clear way of implementing a KERS button in rFactor 2.

2. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

If you look at the steering wheel:
    http://cdn-9.motorsport.com/static/img/mgl/1400000/1430000/1432000/1432000/1432069/s1_1.jpg

You see it has options for Mix and Revs.

I believe this gives the driver on the fly adjustments for engine output.

I might suggest:

EngineBoostRange=(0, 1, 3) // min setting, multiplier, amount of steps, so in this case the options are 0, 1, 2
    BoostEffects=(-500,-0.02,-0.03) // 300 RPM decrease per setting, fuel decrease (1%) per setting, engine wear rate (-2%) per setting
    BoostTorque=-0.0250 // 1.5% less torque per setting (applies to all RPMs)
    BoostPower=-0.0250 // 1.5% less horsepower per setting

Basically the first step down would be "conserve, safe cruise" and the second step is "rain".

Like I said, my main idea is to have a setting that restricts me from accidentally overdriving the car. I'm fairly sure in a real race drivers manage their pace also by engine settings, not just by moving brake markers and shifting short. 2.5% decrease is barely a second per lap, so two decreases in steps... and 1000 rev off the top aren't a lot.

In fact a dedicated "rain" setting would likely reduce power by 10%.

Oh, and for me... 2014 and 2015 cars are ugly and sound ugly. I'd rather have a perfect 2013 mod.

3. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I am perfectly happy with this version as is (I am a weird guy no doubt), and I know the time it takes to test even minute changes, thanks again Frenky.

4. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I'm very happy too, but driver-adjustable engine maps are a reality of Formula 1 (and most other top-level motorsports these days). If we have a chance to get this mod closer to reality, then Frenky might decide if it's worth it.

With the settings suggested here, I can of course also edit my own car myself - I don't want anyone to spend time and effort on something only I would use.

5. Frenky

Frenky Registered

Thanks both of you. Thanks GCCRacer for the picture and explanation. So the drivers can change rev limit I guess in the cockpit.
    I will implement your suggestions GCCRacer, as these "boost-settings" only slow down the car and increase lap times. An update v1.20 will come soon!

Have fun racing!

6. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Thanks for all this, very interesting discussion also.

7. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Thanks Frenky, great to hear.

And yes, I would implement as you said - default one (also used by AI) as the fastest, with the option to "detune" the engine if it suits the tactics.

BTW, a bit more real life background - which I know from motorbike racing:

In reality different engine maps will change the torque and HP curve along the revs. An F1 car going to "rain" map will likely have less torque at lower revs, but maybe not so much less at high revs (straights).

RF2 implementation always makes it linear, which isn't as detailed as what's done today. In fact engine map can be used as some kind of traction control (right parameters of vehicle speed, throttle position, RPM) which is what teams have been doing since TC was banned in 1994.

8. Frenky

Frenky Registered

Thanks, I learned something today!

I already test your settings. It works as intended, allthough I'm unsure about the fuel consumption. Another thing I had to get used to was that I have to press the "decrease boost button" to get the maximum power and torque. That feels a bit strange in the beginning. I will do some further tests and may upload v1.20 without the tracks already in a couple of hours. If however I find some weird things, than the new version will not be uploaded until thursday late.
    The version with the tracks will also be updated and uploaded, but due to the massive changes in ten tracks, this will definitely not within a week.

Stay tuned!

Changelog v1.20:
    * Updated 10 tracks for the rfmod (tracks) version of my mod
    * Implement 3 "boost-settings": default setting gives max power, torque, but also worst fuel consumption and engine wear. The other two settings both decrease the max revs by 500, the engine torque and power by 2.5%, the fuel consumption by 2% and the engine wear by 3% per setting
    * Slightly adjusted optimum life time RPM and very slightly increased fuel consumption because of the "boost-settings" implementation

EDIT: I will upload v1.20 tonight. I only tested a couple of laps with RB at Silverstone. Worked as intended. If you find something strange, please come back to me.
    EDIT2: v1.20 uploaded. Be sure to download the version WITHOUT the tracks as the Track version will be updated later!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
  9. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Hi Frenky,

Just to be clear: The default setting is the same as we used to have? Then that will be perfect.

Awesome speed with which you are going about this. Much appreciated!

I really would like to know all real life details, but I'm pretty sure they run different maps in Q and Race. It's one of the few things they can change under parc ferme rules to make a car more aggressive for single lap fast time, and more stable for 50 laps full race.

10. Frenky

Frenky Registered

Yes, default setting is the same as what it always was. But remember that the fuel consumption is adjusted slightly (from 3.15e-05 to 3.25e-05). So driving 100% races all the time in the default setting may be critical both to fuel consumption and engine heating (life time).
    BTW: Today, I read somewhere that it is no longer allowed to change engine mapping from Q to R. Wether it was a regulation change from halfway 2013, beginning 2014 or 2015 I'm unsure.

11. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

12. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Hi, some testing... a bit weird.

I started with the previous version of the mod again (no boost) and added my own settings, a bit more extreme.

Code:
    BoostEffects=(0,-0.05,-0.02) // 0 RPM change per setting, fuel decrease (5%) per setting, engine wear rate (-2%) per setting
    BoostTorque=-0.05 // 5% less torque per setting (applies to all RPMs)
    BoostPower=-0.05 // 5% less horsepower per setting
    Basically the idea was to simulate mixture, so I made fuel flow decrease, RPM not, and reduced power at a more notable rate.

I then had the AI in my player car run four laps, two each on new tires for setting 1 and setting 3. And the laptimes where the same. Player car normally uses player setup unless I'm mistaken.

Either this setting does not affect the AI, or it doesn't effect anything. I'd need to try manually but not much time to race right now...

For sure the Rev Limit works. Just not sure about the last two lines.

13. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Okay, I confirm: The first three lines do work (boost effects) but BoostTorque or BoostPower don't.

Even a negative 40% per step can't be noticed.

14. Frenky

Frenky Registered

Thanks for testing it. Yeah, I already was afraid that some things don't work. It is a rF2 problem. For your question about assigning a player setup to the AI. It is possible. But I think only the gearing and wing settings are copied then. No fuel settings and no advanced (suspension) settings. The AI use a simplified suspension system.

Have fun racing!

15. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

The edit you made works in that it changes the Rev limit, and likely also the fuel consumption. So it works halfways :)

For AI setup: I tested "Fixed Setup" in Player file yesterday (both entries), used Medium Tires, and saw the AI still running on hard tire. I'm honestly not sure this actually works at all right now.

But yes, I have a lot of fun :) it's an awesome SP mod you made of it, even better now with AI limiter at 0.

16. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Hello Frenky, I tested the option of playing with power in upgrade files in RF2 it works fine.

You have a single .hdv for the whole mod and a customized upgrade file by team called from each .veh.

Cheers.

17. Frenky

Frenky Registered

Thank you guys for testing.

I myself made good progress with the mod version with the tracks. It is impossible for me to test every change. In this version 12 tracks are replaced and it seems to work well. So I decided to upload this version. It will be online in some 6 hours on Mega.
    I now use ISI and RaceRfactor tracks. Of course, edited to conform the 2013 F1 regulations (and that was a lot of work...). For example Silverstone. I use the ISI track, but this track has only 1 DRS zone. So I had to manually add the second one. Also on a lot of tracks, the DRS opens only if you pass the activation point for a 4th time (DTM rules?). In F1, you have to pass it 3 times.
    Stay tuned!

18. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

BTW Frenky, have you already edited the rFm to modify DRS rules for Quali and Practice? DRS was only allowed on DRS zones, with default ISI rFM you can use it over all the track in Q and P.

I can send you the format.

Silverstone and Malaysia should already be edited by RaceFactor for 2013 standards...

19. Frenky

Frenky Registered

I just tested on Melbourne, Sepang, Silverstone, Monza, Suzuka and Interlagos in both P and Q. Works like a charm :D. I only once had that problem on Suzuka going from v1.18 to v1.19. It turned out that there where no DRS zones defined in the GDB track file.
    But what do you mean with "editing the rFm" file? As fas as I know, DRS rules are defined in track files (*.gdb). In the rFm file you can set the "Parc-ferme" rules. Meaning that you cannot change your setup during Q and R. But that was already changed a long time ago, maybe even with v1.15.

20. Frenky

Frenky Registered

Version 1.20 online!

The mod version with the tracks is updated to v1.20! I definitely recommend to try this out. 12 Tracks are replaced with ISI and RaceRfactor tracks. Of course, I edited the tracks to allow the f1 2013 rules (DRS zones, when DRS opens, number of race laps, maximum race time, starting times for sessions and so on).
    Please report back if you find something strange!

Have fun racing!