Extended server logging (catch failed initiation events)?

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by MileSeven, Jul 9, 2021.

1. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Further to my query as to why a server I’m helping to admin only lets me successfully load a raceevent that includes the current official S397 Le Mans track (all other tracks attempted so far fail to load and the dedi server monitor crashes to desktop - note that these non-LM tracks/packages have been successfully used by other admins in the past etc.)…

…is there any meaningful logging of raceevent initialisation etc. that could help us identify the root-cause? Nothing useful shows up in the Windows event log - just that there has been an application error with the dedi server…

FWIW, I currently have admin rights in Windows on the server in question and can happily create rfmods in MAS without any obvious file-permission issues…

2. lagg

lagg Registered

If you are using SteamCMD, there is a logs folder in the server path.
    I don't know what is in the logs, and if this could be useful, but just in case...

3. Goanna

Goanna Registered

If you’re using a shortcut to start the server(I’m assuming it’s a steamCMD server) right click and in the target box at the end add a space followed by
    Code:
    +trace=2 +traceFlush
    That will create a trace file that you’ll find in the server’s userdata\log folder. Attach it here and folks can have a look to see if the problem can be identified.

4. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Thanks - I believe/suspect it is a SteamCMD shortcut but I didn’t set it up.

I’ll take a look and see if that works/helps.

Goanna likes this.
  5. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

OK - finally grabbed a log...

This is for a failed attempt to load a raceevent of BMW2002s at Cadwell. Note that the dedi server defaults to an entry in the database list for LMP Norma cars at Le Mans - which is why you see the initial references in the log to these items. The first section is identical even if I quit out the server before even selecting a raceevent from the initial dropdown.

What I find particularly perplexing is the following line at the end just before the crash:
    >146.42s vidman.cpp 2187: CUBE error loading scene file C:\Games\rfactor2-dedicated\Installed\Locations\LeMans_2018\2.51\LEMANS2020.SCN: Error initializing scene file C:\Games\rfactor2-dedicated\Installed\Locations\LeMans_2018\2.51\LEMANS2020.SCN

I can (kinda) understand the startup section referring to Le Mans as I guess it pre-loads some data based on the last recorded event (or the 'database' entry it defaults to in the initial drop down. I can't see why it would still be interested in the Le Mans track (the only one I can successfully launch, don't forget) after picking up on the BMW2002 and Cadwell...

?

Attached Files:

6. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

SOLVED

The trace file did help me zone in on the issue (key JSON files had file permissions set too conservatively - read only effectively for certain users) x so thanks for that help