Excellent Forum/Bulletin Board Software...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NoClue48, Jan 12, 2012.

1. NoClue48

NoClue48 Registered

This isn't directly related to the rFactor2 software, but more toward the forum engine running beneath the board here. Several other race sim boards (as well as other world topics) would do well to upgrade to whatever version you're running here.

I should preface my remarks by saying that I don't hang out in a lot of forums, so my experience may be somewhat limited.:)

Anyway, things I've noticed that don't seem to be present in a lot of other boards are:

1. When one backs out of an article, that thread shows as normal text indicating it's been read. Helps me remember where I've been and also helps me to see if something's been modified.
    2. Just browsing through the pages and looking at articles and threads, it is immediately apparent when an ISI staffer has weighed in on a thread by the yellow box indicator. Also, mousing over the yellow box will show how many staff posts have been submitted; a nice touch!

Kudos are also in order for the work being done by the various staffers and programmers who appear to be hanging out here fielding all the questions and comments. It shows a definite commitment from ISI to their user community that isn't readily found with other developers. Thank you!

Thank you also for making the beta available to so many in the community. I, for one, appreciate the opportunity to participate and to watch the system mature. I've been around computers and software for a long time and have never seen this approach. It's exciting to be a part of and reinforces the adage that none of us is as smart as all of us.

Oh, and btw, nice race sim too!

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Thanks for the feedback on this, appreciated.

The guys are trying to take in most points, even if they don't have time to reply. :)

3. ArsenicJello

ArsenicJello Registered

vBulletin is the most advanced forum software out there right now. Very flexible solution for professionals. It is rather expensive but I would say it is worth it.

I do like that nifty yellow box that indicates a staff post, can't say I've seen that one before anywhere.

:cool:

4. NoClue48

NoClue48 Registered

I'd never seen any sort of indicator that someone "special" had posted into a thread myself. Not being a "forum rat", I wasn't sure if it was unique or just what.

Regardless, it is a cool feature; that and the fact that clicking on it takes you to the first post so designated--yet another cool feature that allows one to sift through to the good stuff.:)

Thanks for pointing out the software name... bears investigation!

5. Crankee Stroka

Crankee Stroka Registered

It is brilliant software yes. It has been used by the Trainz railroad sim crew for ages now too.
    It seems to be used by small but world beating gaming companies.
    Generally if you see VBulletin forums, you can pretty much bet you are on a winner.
    Just my 2bobs worth.