EVE F1 on Spa will be a mess with full grids

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ciprox, Jan 13, 2012.

1. ciprox

ciprox Registered

hi all,

im basically satisfied with the progress from fr1 to rf2 and im convinced that isi will improve the issues already discussed here at forum. there is a nice force feedback and a immersive experience during racing which is a nice basement for ongoing developments.
    yesterday i "tried to drive" the eve f1 in spa using the standard setup containing fuel for 4 laps and besides the fact that i have to re-learn and / or adapt my driving style to the "new simulation" i had much trouble to hold the car on my desired line especially on the long straights at appr. 300 kph. it was a hard work and a immersive impression. my logitech g25 gave a lot feedback about the rough tarmac of the old track (nice done so far isi). furthermore, the track transferred into a small, thin line which i need necessarily for minor and sometimes hard corrections at this speed. in my opinion the car is very nervous under braking and i thought by myself when there is a full grid its nearly impossible to overtake each other without contacting another car. but maybe its only a matter of training.
    then, in my opinion the behaviour of the car when one / two wheel(s) come into the gravel seems to me a bit too much drastically unforgiving (but i do not have any experience how it feels in real life race cars). i had no chance to bring back the car onto the tarmac because i run into somewhat by hitting a fence or something else the car made several loops and artistic movements.

is this only my own impression which i can optimize via ffb settings or vehicle setups etc.? or does anybody else recognize / feel the same?

2. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

This car is a monster, and if you make one mistake, it will kill you.

That's the way it was in the 60's, and that's the way it should be in the sim.

:)

3. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

You really do just need to get used to what the cars can do - learn to appreciate their limits. There's a learning curve, especially to such early, light, low-downforce cars. You'll find that if you respect braking zones and are patient on the throttle and smooth with the steering you'll tame the beast and be able to get more confidence, control and speed from there on in. It's one of those cases where you go slower to get faster.

A handful of people will always claim that you should be able to recover car from X or Y slide but the simple fact is once a car has more momentum than grip you're not getting it back easily - there's a big difference between power-sliding and losing the front/rear.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  4. seancleric

seancleric Registered

5. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Yeah I second all these thoughts......you also have to get used to the fact that the 60's F1's make modern day F1 cars look indestructible, one tap of the barriers and the car is no longer driveable......awesome.

6. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

Also, I might point out, many driver's in the 60's moved the brake bias WAY forward so they could control the car under braking and if anything were to lock up first, it'd be the front wheels (thus they could see if they were applying too much brake). Shifting the bias forward really helps settle the car when braking...

7. thuGG

thuGG Registered

EVE F1 (with a rear wing) is easy compared to Spark F1 (without wing) :)

BTW driving these cars on Spa and Monaco is AWESOME! Best thing in simracing that ever happened to me :cool:

8. tweaq

tweaq Registered

The cars are really unforgiving and i dont see why its not how they are meant to be. They have a lot of horsepower, weigh nothing, have crap bias-ply tyres, effectively no downforce, and dated suspension.

You can drop 2 wheels off on the exit of the turn tho, even at high speed. You just need to trail the throttle (so the car doesnt accelerate or drop speed) and use minimal steering inputs. Its hard to recover from if it spins up. 90% of the time its no drama. The other 10% you end up over a fence or into a house.

The cars reward smooth driving with no harsh inputs and A LOT of throttle control. Lower your corner speed right down and drive to what you would think is 80% for a while, make sure you have all your braking markers so you dont out-brake yourself too. If not try jumping in the F2 or F3 cars for a bit, it makes driving the f1 car a lot easier.

They are REALLY rewarding to drive and a lot of fun once you wrap your head around the different driving technique they require...

9. RBRacing

RBRacing Registered

Definately one of the reasons why I love these 60s cars. Nothing else quite like it once you start nailing a few corners and the track begins to rubber in along with the tyre temps. Even though I've ended up in fields multiple times, I'm always back for more. Still have to do a completely clean lap around Spa though :rolleyes:

10. D!2T

D!2T Registered

+1 & +1 for not making it around Spa yet either.

11. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

Thank god I'm not the only one!! :p

12. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Lets just say the cows duck when they see me coming........:rolleyes:

13. sg333

sg333 Registered

I can finally lap Spa without killing myself in the F1. Monaco is another story. I seem to have to crawl around even the fast-ish corners, car just understeers really badly. There's no downforce settings to play with so im scratching my head on getting the car to turn better, bar going 9 mph.

14. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I'm much stronger at Monaco as I know the track whereas classic Spa I don't know a thing about it coming into this game, for Monaco my advice would be don't give it too much steering lock, slightly less and the cars front end bites much more also my technique for driving modern Monaco still applies, turn in like your aiming for the barriers (or walls in the classic version!) really attack the apex, lol.

15. RBRacing

RBRacing Registered

Hav'nt played Monaco much, but made it clean round there a couple of times tonight, so happy about that :) Spa kills me every time though lol. I think online this would make it more of a challenge at the same time, as people will be forced to take it really easy, especially in the early stages. Once the collision bugs are sorted, it'll be awesome. Its hard to believe drivers actually did race in such dangerous conditions, with the crowd standing right beside them O_O

16. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

And the ducks chicken out...

But it's chickens that are real cow'ards :)

Well, I for one developed a smooth driving style in various rF1 mods. Maybe that's why switching to rF2's historic F1 cars was not that hard for me. On the other hand, I'm still very far from driving these cars on the limit.

17. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Hah hah.....the ducks get sucked into my engine half the time, lol

18. Traveller

Traveller Member

Bah. I had a horse whinny at me after I crashed one time. I assume it was a whinny, and not laughter.

19. kludger

kludger Registered

rF2 F1 cars at Spa is amazing especially when you add changing weather!

Easily one of my favorite recent sim experiences.

Online crashes on pub servers from people who think they win the race in turn1 after the start happen no matter what track or car, even on iRacing I see a lot of first turn heros/zeros, unless you qualify on pole and can get through before the pileup, there's not much you can do but take it easy on the start and leave room to avoid cars and haybales.

One good reason for racing with a regular set of friends or league where you can expect consistent better behavior.

I love Spa and the F1 cars as is though! Best historic racing experience in a sim so far.

20. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

To make it work long term the entire "driving community" is going to have to try to raise its game. Right now there are still too many slow moving cars using the middle of the road without regard for other traffic...and FAR too many people hitting fence posts (Spa)...so the road is generally littered with objects.

I imagine it will get worse, too, before it gets better (although individual groups can weed out those who are careless with passwords). While I've not been a huge fan of passwords before now, I think here they may make better sense...if only to help reduce the amount of optimistic moves tried on drivers who are unfamiliar with one anothers skills (and limits).

This weekend should be really wild, as it'll be the first chance many people will have had to drive the beta...and drink at the same time!* As if it hasn't been struggle enough already earlier this week.

[* I call "dibs" on the towing concessions at Spa this weekend]

Eventually people will realize this is a very different thing compared to other sims...and particularly to modern cars on wide tracks (where people try to pass any old place...and often can because the cars are so much more forgiving). In these, there may be only one or two legitimate passing zones at a given track (for cars of the same class)...and even then the car being passed has to cooperate to make it safe for both.

Not seeing enough of that quite yet, but I imagine "we" will get there after some time. Maybe not everyone though.... :-/

CS