ERS - Motor.Ini findings...

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by MileSeven, May 8, 2023.

1. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Yet more fiddling with the Motor.ini...

The goal is to implement a P2P battery/motor for our league car (low downforce) in such a way that a driver will have to work to regenerate battery power. 'Work' as in adapt their driving style if they want to regenerate faster...

Some of the tools in Motor.ini are not working as I hoped they might though...

The RegenerationDeactivateBrakeThreshold entry, for instance, appears to do nothing (but RegenerationActivateBrakeThreshold does). I had hoped, for example, to be able to set a higher braking threshold for deactivation than activation (so drivers would only be able to regen by early gentle braking - opening them up to the risk of being overtaken in braking zones...).

Does anyone know what RegenerationDeactivateBrakeThreshold is actually supposed to do?

My next line of investigation centred on the WheelDrive setting - I'd hoped to perhaps put the Motor on the front axle (while retaining rear wheel ICE drive), increasing the Regen Torque figures and then letting the driver balance regen using the regen map against overall braking and stability... This didn't work either. It appears that the Motor.Ini WheelDrive setting cannot override the HDV ICE wheel drive version - the torque split for the ICE seems to govern the torque for regen and I don't want any ICE torque going through the front wheels... Setting the Motor.Ini to Front or Four (with HDV ICE as Rear) does not share the regen to the front wheels.

I couldn't get BrakeByWire to work in regen at all but wasn't entirely surprised.

I'm not sure what other strategies might work. Possibly setting the RegenRPMLimits low in the rev range so that drivers have to hold on to higher gears for longer during braking? (Rev limit is around 9300RPM - so set the RegenRPMLimit to 2000-4000 RPM, say - taking the driver out of the power band if he wants to regen?)

Hmm....!

2. jmarq10

jmarq10 Registered

Sorry for bringing this thread up, but testing the FSR mod my first impression was that regeneration was based on time spent braking, an not having into account the force of the braking.

This leads to brake early and with less brake % for longer being better rather than a normal brake, regarding battery regeneration.

Is this fixable through the .hdv?