Engine wear

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by olandese volante, Nov 28, 2013.

1. olandese volante

olandese volante Registered

Code:
    LifetimeEngineRPM=(21300, 100.00)// (base engine speed for lifetime, range where lifetime is halved)
    LifetimeOilTemp=(1050.0, 0.10)     // (base oil temp for lifetime, range where lifetime is halved)
    LifetimeAvg=7200                 // average lifetime in seconds
    LifetimeVar=0                    // lifetime random variance
    Hi again, I have another problem.
    Whatever values in the engine.ini wear section, I don't have a regular wear in game.

Today I set LifetimeAvg=30 seconds on purpose trying to evaluate the in game wear faster (30 seconds instead of 7200 lol). When I enter into the cockpit and the engine starts, I could stay much longer then 30 seconds without breaking the engine. Note that idle rpm = 4000 and oil temp is lower then 100°. Why does it fail after 2 mins (for example) and not 30 seconds?
    Moreover, changing the oil and rpm parameters above, I can't get a gradual and predictable engine wear. The engine sometime blows up at 92% displayed with G.I.D. plugin, sometime at 90%, sometime at 39% and so on...Is it possible to set the failure percentage at 0%?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The lifetimeavg, though given in seconds, isn't a base wear rate. I know it seems more logical to think it's the maximum (average) lifetime and everything else shortens it, but that's not how it works out.

Some of your figures there seem very strange, but here's the basic idea:

If you're constantly at the base LifetimeEngineRPM, AND at the base LifetimeOilTemp, the engine will last LifeTimeAvg seconds. So looking at those figures above, if your engine was sitting constantly on 21300 RPM and 1050 (!) °C oil temp, it would blow up after 30 seconds.

The key is the second figure in both lines. 100.00 for RPM means that for each 100 RPM above the base figure (21300) you will halve the lifetime. So again assuming your oil temp is constantly sitting on the base LifetimeOilTemp figure, 21300 RPM would give you 30 seconds, 21400 would give you 15 seconds, 21500 would give you 7.5 seconds, etc.

Thing is 21200 will give you (I think) 60 seconds, 21100 will give you 120, ... and so on. At least last time I did some testing I found the relationship worked the same below the base figures as above - and that might have been rF1, but I have a feeling it hasn't changed to this point.

And same again for the oil temp. So having the 'range where lifetime is halved' at 0.10 will greatly increase/decrease the current wear rate whenever you're a few degrees above or below the base (again, I'd expect a base more like 105.0 rather than 1050 :))

If you want more consistency you'd want to increase the range values so the wear rates aren't changed as much by being a 'normal' amount above or below the base, but the only way to know what you're getting is to do quite a bit of testing. I usually find the LifetimeAvg figure doesn't end up matching what I'm actually aiming for as the average life time, so it's best to sort of ignore the fact it's supposed to be a number of seconds.

In the past I found the best way to test was to set time acceleration and mechanical failures to timescaled. That way you can have the engine blow up after, say, 10 laps of normal driving, and because of the time acceleration it's equivalent to 50 or 100 laps or whatever your acceleration determines. You can't make the time too short (time scale too high) because then your engine will be running cold for too long in time scaled terms.

But driving normally means just that - if people will run at redline down the straights, you need to do that in your testing. Downshifting needs to be as aggressive as expected without overrevving (unless you want people to be able to do it and get away with it - that's also a consideration when you're setting the base and half values above).

Bottom line is it's not straightforward :)

3. olandese volante

Ok that seems more reasonable. I thought that being under those values, "where lifetime is halved", would mean normal wear and not reduced wear. That's why I changed the Oiltemp to 1000, because I don't want the engine wear to be influenced by the oil temp. I just want a normal engine wear throughout the race, you would only need to pay attention to overreving (that's why I want the rpm to be the only key factor).

I'll adopt your testing process, but I still can't understand this: is it possible to have the engine blowing up at 0%? I am still experiencing randomly different percentages... Drivers should have a fixed threshold! And it better be at 0% (you have 99 "positions" during the race to evaluate your engine life and driving style accordingly).

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It all depends on how the plugin is calculating it. The game itself doesn't provide any indication. Trying to get your values to 'match' so that your engine always blows up at 0% could be difficult.

As for removing the effect of oil temp, it would be much better to just make the 'range' value very big. So (105.0, 5000.0) or something like that (you could even go higher than that really). That way you're effectively so 'close' to target that the engine wear due to oil temp will work out at about 1.0 and have no real effect. The (1050.0, 0.1) values you started with means that you're halving the 'wear due to oil temp' part of the calculation around 9450 times, which will (I think, from memory) at least halve your overall wear rate.

The plugin may be doing the calculation wrong, may be taking guesses because it can't find what the actual values are, or it may be thrown out by 'only' getting telemetry at 100Hz instead of the game's internal 400Hz. That last one shouldn't throw it out too much though. I'd be more inclined to think it's unable to pick up the actual figures that contribute to engine wear, or it's doing the calculation wrong.

5. olandese volante

UPDATE

There's a Motec telemetry plugin that records engine wear. It's really easy to calculate how the engine will last with a particular engine.ini and a particular driving style.
    Anyone interested, let me know

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well I hope it does a better job than my rF1 plugin, because I got the calculation wrong ;)

7. olandese volante

it does a perfect job..

8. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet Registered

Hi, I have a simular question so I wont open a new thread:

IF: LifetimeEngineRPM=(7300.0, 20) and LifetimeAvg=93600 (seconds, 1560min)
    Then can I assume that the wear rate goes like this:
    rpm x
    7300 1
    7320 2
    7340 4
    7360 8
    7380 16
    7400 32
    7420 64
    7440 128
    7460 256
    7480 512
    7500 1024
    So when at 7300rpm the lifetime is 93600, at 7400rpm 93600/32 and at 7500rpm engine lasts 1,5 minutes? Or is the wear rate more linear?

9. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

Not exactly, we tried to explain here:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...stem-equations?p=390690&viewfull=1#post390690

Risto Kappet likes this.
  10. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

RE: 1000°C Oil temps.
    The flashpoint of oil is 215-252°C; If your temps are that high, your car is on fire.

11. Davvid

Davvid Registered

Does anyone have that tool ? Is it working?