Engine/Throttle issue

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by ChazmR, Mar 17, 2017.

1. ChazmR

ChazmR Registered

Building a mod for our league and have this weird engine issue? Was wondering if anyone knows what could be causing it?

The first 5-10% of throttle does nothing to the engine because its already idling at 2405rpm?

2. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Not a biggie, but its going to be a very long story to explain.
    Please show (or send) the engine.ini file and I can tell you whats wrong.

3. ChazmR

ChazmR Registered

Here is the engine file here, im guessing it may be to do with the engine brake map?

Attached Files:

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Ow wow man.......I don't know where to start!
    Some insane numbers there.
    Why the ancient engine file btw? Steps of 500 rpm, no real turbo, no volume fraction and so on; those new files are so nice and so much can be made smoother.

Anyway; I've never seen an engine making 340Nm of torque doing 0 rpm ;)
    So, that might be off.
    Idle throttle setting; we don't use that anymore and I can't remember if that was an "normal" value.
    I would start with the torque; normalise it, back torque dito and look at the idle throttle.

Sorry, I thought you had a newer file and I'm more familiar with that one.

5. ChazmR

ChazmR Registered

If you have an example of a newer file I'd be happy enough to move onto that, Although I'd probably need some help. I'm looking to make a 2017 spec engine basically, 12500rpm, 8 gears with 5 boost modes. Thats the aim. Any help would be appreciated

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Edit;

If you do want to step over to a newer file, I have a version I build in 2014 for the F1 mod.
    It's been a test version and far from perfect, but you get some ideas and maybe use some of it or all if you want, but it needs work.
    I can't get to my proper file for the moment.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2gdvc4rivhmgxxs/ENGINE_415b.INI?dl=0

7. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Just read your post.
    I uploaded it already. I can help you out, no problem.
    I need to drive your version though to testdrive; is that a problem? If not, send it over and we go through it.

8. ChazmR

ChazmR Registered

I've sent you a download link to the rfcmp mod in your private messages.
    As well as some extra info on what the current engine does as well as what I wish for the new one to do :)

9. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Getting the data correct matters more than new or old format. If you are just starting your mod, I'd recommend going with the older, more simple, format. It should get you 95% there. If you understand exactly where the old format engine is coming up short and understand what advantages the new format has to offer, then you should give the new format a look.

10. ChazmR

ChazmR Registered

Well the mod is basically finished, its just that issue in the video that we were having. Always wanted to go with the new engine physics but didn't understand it as well.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You have quite a lot of coast torque at low revs, so keeping the target idle RPM requires a fair amount of throttle to be artificially applied. Hence your own throttle doesn't change anything until you surpass that level.

If you really want to reduce it you could make the coast torque get much closer to 0 at 0 RPM (and closer to 0 at idle RPM than it is now, too). But the question is whether it's needed - if you're happy with how the cars drive apart from that, just don't worry about it.

You could redo both torque curves completely, and you could move to the new engine model and make the fuel consumption more realistic at higher RPM as well (real life fuel rate limit), but you can start spending a lot of time on it and maybe no one in your audience will notice the difference anyway.

12. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

There you can try to convert the rF1 style engine into the new model: http://meetme.bplaced.net/rF2_onlineTools/