Engine sound volume attenuated by other sound effects.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by JParra, Sep 13, 2022.

1. JParra

JParra Registered

First of all I would like to ask how you name in the world of racing the painted area of two alternating colors, usually rough or with steps, that is behind the white line in most curves. In Spanish they are called "piano" because of their similarity to the keys of a piano.

Kerbs or curbs? I would like to learn this.

As for my problem, it is that for some time I have noticed that in certain cars the sound of some effects such as "pianos" attenuate the sound of the vehicle's engine, creating a false and unpleasant sensation that at the same time can lead to errors .

I've tried the different new sound options, but nothing seems to affect this.

Is it a consequence of the new sound system?
    Can I do something to eliminate this effect or is it intrinsic to each vehicle?

Thanks for your help.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Curb is the American spelling and usage. There are, however, several types of curbs. Flat painted surfaces(usually found on Moto GP circuits) Raised curbing that can either be one piece of concrete, or have a sawtooth shaped top surface to discourage drivers rolling over them and cutting a corner. Finally there are Sausage Curbs, which when viewed from above resemble a Sausage Link. These are usually have the greatest rise off the racing surface to be potentially damaging to fragile cars like F1.

The new sound system is a work in progress and only a select few cars have received the complete sound enhancement. For most 3rd party mods or older rF2 cars, you can adjust the lower set of sliders under the LEGACY banner. Particularly, reduce the first slider just below the LEGACY header referred as Sound Effects Volume. Reduce this to a level of your choosing, I have mine set very low at 7% to reduce the loud sounds of the tires rolling over the curbs and also to allow the opponent engine sounds to come through.
    You will usually be able to tell the difference between cars like the S397 GTE carset which has the sound updates and the S397 GT3 carset which does not have the sound enhancements by how quiet the cockpit is with the new sound enhancements. It is very difficult to hear other cars except when they are actually passing by your vehicle.

Deleted member 58016 and JParra like this.
  3. JParra

JParra Registered

Great answer, very detailed. It is true that he had also noticed that the sound of the other vehicles was very low in some mods.

I will do what you tell me by lowering the slider of the "Legacy" sound effects, thank you very much.

And also thanks for the explanation of the "Curbs", the ones I was referring to are these:

[​IMG]

These others we call "salchichas" because of their obvious resemblance to a sausage.
    [​IMG]

So when is the term "kerbs" used?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

JParra and Deleted member 58016 like this.
  5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I would 'guess' that Kerb is more of a European term, and Curb is North American. Both mean the same in regards to racing as @Lazza pointed out.

JParra likes this.
  6. JParra

JParra Registered

Thanks for your help with the sounds, I have greatly improved the experience with @davehenrie's instructions, although I feel that we have to wait a little longer for all cars, new, old, official or not, to implement this new sound system well.

Also because of the explanation of Curb/Kerb I won't forget (@Lazza's article is very interesting and entertaining) and I think that in order not to give rise to errors, it is best to use Kerb when we talk about race tracks.