Effect of trackside objects on the car....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Christopher Snow, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

60's @ Old Spa: Someone uproots a fencepost and leaves it lying in the road...and you hit it. Should it take a toll? Sure!

But should it have the same effect it would if you hit it as a planted, trackside object? No. And why not? Because it's already a freed object (no longer bound to anything...and an object of relatively low mass too).

Same (but to a much lesser extent because they are much heavier) goes for haybales, and pretty much everything else: If it's PLANTED into (or is tied into) the ground in some way, it should have a severe effect on your car. But if it's already been uprooted, and is lying loose in the road...probably not so much (and far less if of a lesser mass too).

So...of even those two? The haybale is much the heavier than the fence post, and should have the much greater effect.

[Maybe it does already--I've been stopped dead in my tracks (wrong!) by a couple of haybales from 150mph...while fenceposts in the road have "only" spun me off]

The relative effects might be ok..but their overall values need a downgrade, IMO.

At Spa I've already been spun off three times or more by uprooted fenceposts. If they schred my tires? That's understood, sure.

But if they don't? Then I really should be able to survive running over them and punting them off, I do think.

Point being: Trackside objects should have at least TWO (and maybe a dozen more) "impact factors", depending on whether they are already uprooted or not (the one possible exception being displaced or uprooted guardrails themselves which might be torn up...but which would never be torn OUT completely, IMO).

GPL had it's "spongey/springy walls and objects, and I think rFactor2 should have them (more of them than I have seen thusfar) as well.

But it's just my opinion too.

CS

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012