Editing a car mod (rename the car)

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by DrivingFast, Mar 1, 2018.

1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Hello.

I am currently modifying some of the cars mods/unencrypted cars, ISI and third mods for personal use exclusively.

My problem for some mods is that I do not know how to "rename" the car (I don't speak about the .rcpm or the .mas) :

This forces me to uninstall the mod because otherwise, the new mod crashes the new one.

Or if not, if I just want to edit 1 car on a mod including several cars, but I want to keep the original mod while "creating(editing) a new mod on the base of just one of these cars " it is a problem.

It's basically about increasing the torque and power, gear ratios, possibly brakes, not much more.

I point it out again, it's just for my personal use, to make it more interesting to drive or more fun some cars.

Concrete example: skipbarber torque and power + 50% and final gear ratio 40%, in regional version and threaded : so much better than the original skipbarber .... ....

2. dylbie

dylbie Registered

You'll need to pull the data out of the installed files using the MAS utility tool. Then change the data that you want. Then use the MAS utility tool again to package up a new .rfcmp file and name it what you want.

You can't just rename a car. It won't work.

3. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Sorry @dylbie.

I think I did not speak well.

You know the cars in the interface (UI) :

There is a "car tree structure" / "car arborescence" / "car hierarchy" (I do not know what is the word in English).

Problem :

When I modify the mod (very minor changes), whatever the name I give in the MAS utility, the name of the mod / cars remains the same in the car tree : this has the effect of overwriting the origin mod (mod on which I based myself to make the modifications).

But most of the time, I want to keep the original mod + the editing mod.

Thanks guys !

4. Louis

Louis Registered

@Navigator game me once a fll explanation about editing mas files. I didnt learn at the time this happen because i had to get away from games in the period and did not find in my private box. If i find in my pc and its not a problem to share, i can give you the file (if i find it)

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

No problem to share where ever you want.

Louis likes this.
  7. Louis

Louis Registered

Thanks, easier to download again since i usually never found what im looking for im my pc lol
    Cheers!

8. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

If I am not wrong what OP asks for is the name of the hdv file. The rfcmp can have several vehicles in it.

However, I am not sure if further references to this names are being used in other files. From the hdv the rest of the files are recalled and can be shared by more than one vehicle. The exception is Gen files which are specific to each hdv and must have specific names if I am not wrong.

However, this information is already explained in the available documentation if I am not wrong.

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Just use; I really dont feel like chit chatting. Now I’m okay, next time you make fun of me again; so I dont bother anymore.

Just wanted to help out a guy that probably never writes a word here again, just like the last few guys I helped out with this file.

Hmm, I wonder why I’m so negative.

10. Louis

Louis Registered

what? are you mad with me?

edit: btw @Navigator . it was in my download folder
    sav.png

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I dont know; its hard to understand. But he speaks of “the name of the mod/car and that is in the veh for sure; no naming of any kind in the hdv, just pointing towards files to be used.

12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

He is referring to the tree of cars as they appear in the car selection screen. Unless you change hdv, renaming a rfcmp won't change the name of the car in the car selection tree and will override original version on which the modified vehicle is based.

I think it is quite clear which is his problem

13. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Hi guys.

Actually, @SPASKIS has understood my message probably poorly written in English (sorry).

14. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Lol; I even don't had a drink, but I'm not clear thinking. I don't understand, sorry, its me.

15. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thats what I mean; guy has been here, downloaded the file; no reply, no nothing.
    Why do we even bother?

16. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

He last posted less than 12 hours ago. We don't know if he has downloaded the file yet. Aren't you confusing with the guy who quoted you as helpful in one occasion?
    Or that or I am missing something...

17. Navigator

Navigator Registered

No, I saw ts online, look at his profile page too

18. Louis

Louis Registered

Because the guy could be shy, english could not be he first language, could be just a kid wanting to learn, it may interest other person starting to learn....
    Thats why i suggested in discord chanel thread about all support be done in the forum

SPASKIS likes this.
  19. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Don't believe me, but you both are here long enough to know how it goes; a guy comes in, pops a question, responds one time and is out without saying anything to the guys helping him. At least; I thought you could relate to that.
    Shy? Not good English? He can pop a question, right?
    Plus; this is the 4th or even 5th time this happens; I give my file, hand over some tips and nothing.
    Now I don't want a pad on the back, but some line like "okay, that works for me" would be the decent thing to do, not just for me that is.

That, and getting static from guys I know longer and should know what I'm talking about, lets me say: "why bother? Trying to be nice and helpful for a game I don't even play anymore (because ptool won't work and Steam doesn't let me play the game or download mods)"
    And.....money gone! Thanks mister Steam ;)

So, thats it; no use in staying here I noticed.

20. Louis

Louis Registered

Not the best attitude, i agree, but still: someone could start from here without need to open new thread