Edit Track Grip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jakobdylan, Jul 7, 2013.

1. jakobdylan

jakobdylan Registered

Hello
    I would like edit the track grip of some tracks to play off line like I usually to do with Rf1.Just for example I would like edit the track grip Of Silverstone but after I edited the tdf file the value of track grip doesn't work .Ai Cars get always the same times .is there the possibility to change it?

2. Hazi

Hazi Registered

+1 and again a few possibilities for loose files to override settings so we can adjust grip, aiw, tdf, cam files....

3. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

4. pleclair

pleclair Registered

This would do you no good really, cause obviously, you wouldn't be learning the game properly.

If you ever think of going online, or playing with stock grip, you will have to learn all over again.

This is the reason I'm not using the T5 series, cause the grip is highly unrealistic. You can see these cars ranking just below the fr3.5 and f2 on rf2rank, sometimes faster.

If you doubt the grip level of rf2, just watch the speed at which you are really going thru a corner... and you'll see that the number you'll see is right for the type of corner you took. Example, last bend of lime rock, in the clio, you can take it in 5th gear, nearly 6th, not sure exactly of the km/h, but I would think it's around 160km/h or so, a bit faster I think... would have to check...

That sure seems a lot like a real clio would take this same bend on lime rock...

Actually, there is a video of Skip Barber on youtube, unfortunately, SD, but still... check it out, it's skip barber, going faster

(here)

And you'll see that the skip barber in rF2 is really well done and just about the same as in the video.

So grip level is fine...

The thing is... to play and achieve good lap times, you need a proper FOV... anything higher than 30-35 on a single screen setup is too much...

But at 30-35, the speed effect is reduced, because you lack the peripheral vision.. but what you see is much closer to what you would see in a real car.

Check out this video:

This is what you would see in a real car...

This is exactly what I get on a single screen at FOV30.

Check out the skip barber video, and train on the skip barber for a while.. say a week or so...

Then everything else will seems much easier :)

EDIT: I found that training in the rain improves your non-wet driving a lot too... try it out as well! It will increase your foot precision, which is what you need.. Often times, if you skid out thru a corner that you know the speed is right, then something else is wrong... throttle input, didn't weight transfer properly, didn't turn-in at the right time... you see this a lot easier with the skip barber... train at lime rock... the first corners are really good to see that... you can take them a lot faster than you would think at first when trying the car on track... if you keep just a little throttle thru the corners, you can go much faster. Precision is the key, and that comes with practice... :)

EDIT 2: For comparison, here is a video on me in a clio in cockpit, at fov30:

Just about the same :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
  5. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

No way am I using FOV 30. I also, gasp, use head motion plugin. All this purist talk makes me laugh, especially since almost no one even uses a clutch online in historic cars. And then there's that thing about NOT BEING IN A REAL CAR. LOL.

6. pleclair

pleclair Registered

It's not a question of being a purist or not...

After getting used to the lower sense of speed of FOV30, it is actually much easier, since what you see, is what you see usually in your car... so playing becomes a lot more like driving... the distances are about the same etc...

I've tweaked my player file to enhance the lookahead feature, and set it quite a bit further, and also rotate the head a few degrees, like you would when rotating your head to see on the side. It helps dealing with the sharp corners with the lower FOV, it works actually really good.

It's also a lot easier to follow car close behind, and brake in time to not hit them in the back.

Btw, I use the clutch no problem with the historics/skip, or any cars, beside the modern open wheelers.

I have never raced a real race car, but have raced a lot of my personal cars, did a bit of karting, drifting, rally driving in atv trails... just never had the money to do anything more professional and official... so I enjoy rFactor 2 nowadays, and I'm more calm with my car (too many tickets :p)

EDIT: Do a test next time on the highway... put your hands on the side of your head, to block your side view, like a race horse, and watch the sense of speed now in front of you... :) Much lower, about the same you get at fov30 in rF2 at the same speed :)

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

There are a number of us who like the lower FOV due to immersion factors. We understand that we aren't in a real car and we know that there are people who don't share our feelings on have near real vFOV, but that's ok, that is why everyone has a brain, :) You will find though that most people with triple monitors such as myself prefer to have something that appears to be as realistic as possible. I can see where single screen users might have issues though. Some of us even using head tracking hardware in order to be able to look at mirrors while we are racing and not have to hit a button to see what is beside us :)

8. jakobdylan

jakobdylan Registered

Please back on topic I want just Know if there is the possibility to edit tdf file (track Grip) Aiw etc etc etc

9. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

If the creators of the track can set the grip level, then there is a way to edit it to make it what you want. I would read the sections on modding to see what information is there, or ask in any one of the track creation thread there.

10. jakobdylan

jakobdylan Registered

thank you