Easier porting of cars/track between the game proper and DevMode

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by ethone, May 2, 2012.

1. ethone

ethone Registered

I wish there was an easier porting mechanism to get cars/tracks from the proper game into DevMode. Unpacking and "rebuilding" the folder structure and references in .scn/.gen/.veh files seems terribly unnecessary to me, given that the content is already installed in working order.

For me that procedure is only for "passive" content anyway. I can't properly test and develop a track with just the rTrainer, so I need other cars. I have the FR3.5 in semi-working condition (crashes occasionally and wet tires aren't working), same for the GT-R (no sounds, as that .mas is encrypted. Way to go!). I'm in no need to actually mod any of those cars so I'd be quite happy if DevMode were just able to read them in their rfcmp/installed state and let me drive them across my in-development track.
    Likewise, car modellers can't develop their physics in particular by just running Joesville. And likewise, they hardly need to change any aspect of the track, just a working track like found in the game proper.

Releasing two versions of each car/track again seems terribly unnecessary to me.
    So: Either let us port tracks to DevMode more easily or let it directly read and use content installed in the game proper.

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

I think the easiest way, would be to just enable mas file support in DevMode. I'm also tired with all the hassle we have with moving content to DevMode.

3. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Why DevMode just cannot read tracks and cars that have been installed to single play mode? Is this just too much to ask? Why we have to install (with a lot of trouble) same stuff twice at two different locations. Oh come on...

In normal development environment, "devmode" is built inside the actual game which is normally activated through button or different runtime. This system is just - sorry - fk'd up.

4. websta

websta Registered

a bit ship in a bottle.

5. tjc

tjc Registered

+1 for an easier way to get cars and tracks into dev mode. I don`t do any modding or the like (yet) but would like to try different things in dev mode and do some "experimenting" but it is a bit of a nightmare trying to put other cars etc into dev mode as it is now...

A change to this that makes it a good deal easier would be very much appreciated. :)

6. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

Ok, first off, of course both modmode.exe and the viewer support loading from mas files. But we really don't want you to work content directly from the Installed area, because any changes you might make, even if unintentional, will break the component. So I have an "Unpackage" option in the packager, but I haven't implemented it yet. It's pretty easy to move an installed component into the mod area to work on it. Just copy all the mas files over. For example, just copy all the mas files from Installed\Locations\ISI_LimeRockPark_2012\1.0 to ModDev\Locations\LRP or whatever subdir you want. Extract the .scn file from whichever mas file it is in. Open the .scn file and uncomment any references to mas files, and any include paths - if you've made a track before, you would be familiar with the process of adding paths and mas references to the .scn file. Then you should be able to view in either modmode or the viewer. I've done this myself with Croft and a few other 3rd party tracks - just did it again to verify that this procedure works in both the viewer and modmode, took under 5 minutes to move an installed cmp to modmode.

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

With cars, I think this is easiest procedure:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showwiki.php?title=rF2+how+to+get+ISI+car+to+dev+mode

For night testing, with my car you will easily spot if some objects does not have correct flags set etc. Also very easy to get into modmode as you just need to extract into moddev folder and everything should be placed correctly so you can go and test tracks easily.
    http://jtbo.pp.fi/tiedostot/rfactor/Volvo300_0.21_rf2_dev.zip

If car is slow, here are better motors for it.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/6917-Volvo300-%28WIP%29?p=123152&viewfull=1#post123152

With tracks, I just drag them from installed to moddev locations and that seems to be enough, need to extract cam file to get cameras to work I think, but haven't needed to do anything else, as long as I have my vehicle's location filters as a *

8. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

It's a nightmare.

I'd like to create different lines for each car in AIW file but the workload to bring any car except the Trainer into DevMode discourages me.

9. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Why don't you use the excellent tool from Noel Hibbard, Extract. I bring a track or car to DevMod in two clicks (sometimes I have to edit in spinner and gen path to mas files if they have a different path already).

I pack a new version in less than 30s with the same tool by clicking on the mft.

No I am not part of Noel's commercial venture, his tool is free and available in the modding tools in this forum.

Thanks once more Noel.

Cheers.

10. Emery

Emery Registered

How about using the AIW from replay feature? Bring a replay file from regular mode into DevMode to make the AIW?

11. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

hmm...

DevMode can read masses directly nowdays. If I recall it correctly, workflow went like this:

- open explorer and go to x:\xxxx\Documents\rFactor2\Installed\Vehicles - folder
    - check out foldername of your car, which you want to DevMode
    - create identical folder in x:\xxxx\Documents\rFactor2\ModDev\Vehicles
    - surf back to rFactor2\Installed\Vehicles - folder and under there to version number folder
    - copy all masses to \ModDev\Vehicles\YourDevModeCar - folder
    - launch DevMode and you should see the car listed, which you just "installed"

I think this should work recently updated cars. I'm not sure if very old car components work this way though...

CORRECTION! You need to extract car's GEN file and look at the folder name there. Its not always same with \Installed\Vehicles\InstalledCar - folder.

I just copied FISI2012 to DevMode (using workflow above, except folder name) and it works just fine.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you're at all familiar with the file structure of cars/tracks it's probably a 20 min job the first time, 5 mins each time after that. Often faster. That's manually.

Also, generally you only need to extract one or two MAS files, the rest can stay as they are if you aren't changing anything.

13. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Thanks for the suggestions above guys, I'll try to port some cars to DevMode right now.

14. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

First try... FAIL! lol ;)

[​IMG]

15. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Same here - it`s the Corvette right?

16. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I used to port cars without problems in the past but with the corvette and other newer cars I get the same problem as the picture above.

When you load the track you need to skip some error messages of unfound textures that are actually in the same folder. I guess that the team folder must be present.

Enviado desde mi SM-G130HN mediante Tapatalk

17. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

It should be a Megane. Apparently the game engine uses the same low-poly temp car when some files are "missing".

18. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Guys, please have a look into VEH files.

The graphics address is pointed at the first few lines of this file.

[​IMG]

Regardless, you can unpack all MAS files in the root directory, which will certainly be pointed in all dependent files. And yes, drop the teams files in the root as well.

Not the most optimized way to do the things but works.