SOLVED dx11 start/pit glows

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by iDTDoug, May 30, 2017.

1. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

ok, so we will have to revert to max 2012 then. Thanks for taking the time to advise.

2. Radar

Radar Registered

I started having problems running to the versions Drath, so I wouldn't bother. Stick with 2016. I've now uninstalled 2012 and will just wait till tools come out (whenever that will be).

3. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

worse case use gjed and then do a final pass with shaders at a later point in simed

4. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

getting back on topic, I'm getting close to the pit light glows I wanted. The glows are great but the source i need to clear now so more testing.. this is Hi Lum Sun, Zero > Src Clr, Diffuse/emmissive all white

Attached Files:

• pit1.jpg
      pit1.jpg
      File size:
      112.7 KB
      Views:
  5. Radar

Radar Registered

@iDTDoug I've just completed my testing for you.. These are the settings I found were best and the results are below.

upload_2017-6-4_17-22-3.png

This is my Green (005c00) with alpha being White (ffffff)
    upload_2017-6-4_17-22-32.png

This is my Red (5d0000) with alpha being White (ffffff).
    upload_2017-6-4_17-24-17.png

Couple things I did.. Reduced the size of the _GLOW layer to match the lights (minus the bezel). Below is the model in 3Ds Max. I did indent the lights but this made no difference, I ended up moving the _GLOW layer beyond the flat anyway to avoid texture flickering and as you can see in the sequence image the glow is not overpowering given the darker Green and Red that's now used (oh and emissive being the same colour as the green and red textures used).
    upload_2017-6-4_17-39-20.png

The squared edges appears in the _GLOW as you can see in the sequences image which personally I don't like, so I would go one step further and curve the edges to appear the same as the below lights used. That should make them look sweet in the end..
    upload_2017-6-4_17-26-31.png

LOD: 750.
    StartLight_GLOW.gmt
    Shader: High Luminance Sun
    Src Blend: Src Colour
    Dest Blend: Zero
    Ambient RGB: 255,255,255
    Diffuse RGB: 255,255,255
    Specular RGB: 0,0,0
    Emissive RGB: 005c00 (Green) 5d0000 (Red)

As mentioned in my 1st post, I never used textured Event maps, I used only the textures above (in this post) as the textured maps for the _GLOW.gmt. Also, given it's just a flat colour, you could safely reduce the size of those event textures down to 32 x 32 or 16 x 16 reducing some (although small anyway) load times.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    iDTDoug and Emery like this.
  6. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

From what i understand the start and pitin/out lights don't use extra glow meshes. Thats for track side lights. The original light mesh is used and the light material is set with the new settings.

Emery likes this.
  7. Radar

Radar Registered

My understanding was that all lights now used the glow meshes so that it removes the 'fake' lights used in the past.

So, I decided to test what you said and you are right, I changed the name of the GMT and I can confirm that just using the High Luminance Sun shader is enough to give the glow for the lights. So the model is still the same, you just don't need the _GLOW in the file name.

I'll do some testing through the week with a textured material to replace the plain colour and see how it looks.. Personally I'm not a fan of the 'fake' texture style materials as a glow for the lights but that's just me and maybe with this shader it will look fine..

iDTDoug, Emery and Nibiru like this.
  8. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

[​IMG] confirmed. works without the glow and doesnt even have to be emissive.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Radar likes this.
  9. Radar

Radar Registered

That looks pretty good @iDTDoug .

Did you end up using the alpha layer as a textured map ? (that's what I was looking to try out, plain map in Alpha without the fake glow around it)..

Glad you got it sorted in the end :)

10. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

The grlta.dds and grlta01.dds have no alpha, dxt1. The grlt01.dds has an alpha that is only the LED shape, DXT3. I also got rid of the pink chroma border.

Radar likes this.
  11. Radar

Radar Registered

Sweet.

For an FYI to myself I'll try the alpha layer with a textured map (rather than just the shape) just to see what effects I get. It may display in your case the individual LED lights a bit more. As I said, it's more an FYI to myself so I can use the same approach for all lights.

The pink border I got rid of early on :)

Thank you @iDTDoug for posting this, it's opened my eyes more especially given the approach I had was based on single lights, clearly with multiple lights this changed so I will now replicated this to my other models. I'm loving the glow effect.

12. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

and of course, it all depends on your post-effects settings. I used medium.

13. wizzfactor2

wizzfactor2 Registered

I hope the recipe in the cooking is upgrade gjed :)

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@wizzfactor2 gjed was removed in Apr 2018. The post you're referring to, in which Tuttle said he didn't have news about gjed, was from Jun 2017. I think you covered your frustration in the gjed crashing thread.

15. vitor costa

vitor costa Registered

Talking about startlights and startglow (old RF1 style), I converted a track from RF1 to RF2. The track has 4 starting lights. In 3DSimed I can see all working but in the devmode only works one of them (the startlight), the startlight1, startlight2, etc, doesn`t work. Is it possible to have multiple startlights? Any suggestion?

16. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Make them 1 object.

vitor costa likes this.
  17. vitor costa

vitor costa Registered

Thks a lot for your help. I`ve searched everywhere from a answer and the solution it`s so simple. Really good sugestion and it works perfectly.

Nibiru likes this.