DX11 Plugin/HUD

Discussion in 'User Interface and HUD Modding' started by Pales, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Pales

Pales Registered

Out of interest, do we have any nicely "presented" huds that provide a list of car positions and when a particular car is pitting, etc? All of the good ones appear to be on DX9...

I basically want something like the old forumla 1 style (2017) with the color indicators too...

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Dx9 rF2 supported plugins drawing things on the screen through the plugin API, plus dx 'injection' is a much more common and known process in dx9. So a number of a plugins are able to draw anything they want on screen using either method.

dx11 doesn't yet support plugin drawing, and as far as I know no rF2 plugins are using dx injection for dx11 to draw things. So the HUDs you see are either redesigns of the existing in-game HUD elements (which don't have the sort of information you're looking for) or larger third-party programs which draw over the top of the rF2 window. I don't know if any of those will suffice, but I believe they aren't free either.

dungbeetle likes this.
  3. lagg

lagg Registered

4. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Do you think it is safe to assume this line in struct ScreenInfoV01

void *mDevice; // Cast type to LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9

will be replaced with the dx11 ID3D11Device in due course?

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@hardtohandle No, that's what they would have done if they wanted to continue to support drawing plugins in dx11. They are moving to a new UI system, and then a new HUD system with it, which will be done differently (HTML based I think I heard, that was quite a while ago, not familiar with those technologies myself). I think the device stuff was problematic and hard to trace issues with, so they're going to have a whole system on top of the game which addons/plugins will utilise.

6. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Yes thanks Lazza that's one of the things I had been wondering about also, because I seen in that talk of Marcels he is talking about embedding a browser into the game, and I assumed that was for the off track stuff, garage etc, but then I started wondering if that is actually meant as a replacement for the on track screen. Which it now seems it is.

Seems to me all the off track stuff is being replaced by java stuff, and the on track part will have an embedded web browser. That's how I am reading this.

On top of the reasons you gave, it might be that better anti-cheat defences are another.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  7. AMillward

AMillward Registered

HTML is a pain. I coded an email signature and that took me all week.

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  8. Seven Nation Army

Seven Nation Army Registered

HTML is really pretty easy, and very portable. I think Studio 397 could have the best interface with the new UI. Fingers crossed!

9. Pales

Pales Registered

Just to bump this further, I noticed that the official RF2 stream now uses a HUD? .

10. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

11. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

you must donate for simhub to have proper fps etc
    just saying