DX11 New Rain Perfomance

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Suzukinol, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Suzukinol

Suzukinol Registered

Hello, I tried the new build. It is working fine in dry but when it starts raining, the FPS start to be crazy and they go from 60 stable fps with enabled VSync to 25-30 fps. Rain Drops settings are in medium and I am using your recommended settings. My graphic card is R9 280 which is ready for DX11 and also DX12.

So... yeah, the new rain has a big impact in perfomance and I think its because its not correctly optimized. The old DX11 Build with the old rain was having same FPS in dry and wet.

I also noticed that when you are in the UI (chat, setup, times, cams...), the fps are lower than when you are in track or you maximize the viewport, something that wasn't happening in DX9. I also noticed that sometimes cockpit cam has 60 FPS but if you go for swingman cam or TV Live External Cam it also reduces FPS. These things started to happen me in the first DX11 beta, so I decided to come back to DX9 and latest DX11 Build is running better but it is bad in these points.

See you and thank you for this christmas present.

SPASKIS and demerzel like this.
  2. Patrick Craenmehr

Patrick Craenmehr Registered

Strange... I am almost having no impact on performance with the new rain effects. I am using the 'mid end gpu' recommended settings with a GTX 1070 on 3440x1440 resolution. I tested on Silverstone wit the Mercedes AMG GT3 with 19 AI (all different GT3's from the GT3 pack). And these cars are still very demanding on the GPU. I get around 45-50 at the start of a race and after a few corners a stable 60FPS (almost the same as in dry conditions), even when the track get more wet (puddles and reflection) and spray from the cars ahead. I was positively suprised about the performance in these circumstances.

What settings are you using on what resolution? And which cars and tracks? Also, did you clear cache/shader files as suggested?

patchedupdemon likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Suzukinol I think you need to adjust your expectations a little. Now, what I'm going to say isn't at all one sided, so please don't disagree with one thing I say and disregard my entire post.

Your experience may not be typical. It could be hardware specific, it could be related to a setting (or settings) somewhere. ('may', 'could' - it's also possible everyone with similar hardware to yours will have the same wet performance impact)

Your comparison with the previous build is somewhat flawed if you always test with vsync on. If dry running were capable of 120 fps and wet only 65 fps, you'd notice no difference with vsync. So any time you're testing performance you should disable vsync so you know what the true numbers are. (I'm not saying you were getting 120 and 65; it's an example)

Regarding your card, it is getting quite old now. It may be dx11 (and dx12!) capable, but so were even older cards with less performance. In another thread you mentioned this being a 2012 game - well it was originally released in 2012, but this update is (late) 2017, so it and recent content is going to try and make use of current hardware. You can't expect your 2014 card to max out rF2 just because rF2 was originally released before it.

It will be interesting (for you, especially) to see what others with similar hardware experience, so you know if the problem is the game or something more specific to you. In the meantime giving more info as Patrick has asked for might help to work out how your performance correlates with the general experience.

It's good that you've started a thread on this, and dropped the I'M ANGRY AND TYPING IN ALL CAPS mode. This can only help. Finally, and importantly I think, there's no doubt rF2 graphical performance isn't great. Adding better looking rain effects is only going to make it worse, and expecting dx11 to magically outperform dx9 (or better rain effects to perform as well as the previous ones) isn't sensible, but on the whole no one should expect rF2 to match looks and performance of some/most other titles. It's just not strong in that area.

4. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

On the beta, my FPS were bad:

- By sun low in the sky (without shadows)
    - With my headlights lit and those of the AI
    - With mirrors even optimized
    - With AI even few (and yes, I did not use it 10 days ago)
    - And especially during the rain, especially with the cloud of water and the very wet road (reflections OFF).

I spent 4 hours to make 1000 and 1 settings (totally revised downward) with this build.

Just before going to bed I removed the contents of the cbash and shader and saw a better... I did not think about it sooner.

My last close graphical performance tuning of the new build has a resolution 2 times lower (2K) and the nvidia driver parameters set in standard quality (against high quality before), with exactly the same graphical settings (rain drop in LOW instead of ON).

1st conclusion after 4 hours of tests including almost identical settings at the game level : really not good, sorry.

5. stonec

stonec Registered

Main reason why old build had (almost) the same FPS in rain was that it had no rain effects (or well, rain effects from 2005). Each new effect comes with FPS drop. The drop is kind of big, but you can't compare with the old build that had no proper effects.
    This I noticed as well and it was a bug that was present months ago in DX11 beta. Then it was fixed, but now it came back in latest build. You can try to file a bug report in the bug section.

6. Suzukinol

Suzukinol Registered

"It is getting old..." Well... if you say its old because it was released in 2014 then yes, its getting little old but that doesn't have anything to do with his perfomance and power and this graphic card is able to run Project CARS 1 maxed out and Assetto Corsa Ultra with no problems.

About the cbash and shared folders... I already cleared them 1000 times, so it isn't anything related to that.

Its just the new rain, it is having a big impact in the perfomance of my game, going from 60 stable fps vsync in dry to 25-30 fps in wet... as soon as rain drops start to fall, so... sorry but thats not optimized and the rain its almost looking the same as before (I didn't see the difference, just the working windshield in closed cars and the rain drops in the car). As you said, modern hardware is ready to run the game at 120 - 180 fps so... if they go from 120 to 80 in the rain they won't notice it because the maximun the human eye can see is 60, but thats 40 fps lost (its an example).

I don't care about anything, this game in DX9 just works perfect maxed out in my computer and now with DX11 I am loosing fps with 100% exactly the same graphic settings and when it starts to rain its just a mess and... sorry but I bought this product working perfectly in my computer and now it isn't working as before because the developers launched an update that forces me to move to DX11 which is giving me less perfomance and it shouldn't because DX11 runs better in my graphic card than DX9.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    SPASKIS and demerzel like this.
  7. Suzukinol

Suzukinol Registered

Ok, I did a test. First of all, my % GPU and % CPU load are always lower than 60%, so... why is it having low fps?

I did the test in Malaysia, Honda Civic, 20 Cars, mid end graphic card recommended settings a little more higher (full instead of high in the quality of track and player, I was always running full in DX9). It was done with Disabled AA, disabled Agressive Threading, disabled Vsync and disabled post processing effects.

Dry FPS: 72 fps
    Rain FPS: 40 fps

WTF? -32 fps for some Rain Drops that are set in Medium? :mad:

8. Filip

Filip Registered

Similar here.
    Civic and Megane at Nola.
    From cca 60 fps on dry to 30 fps on heavy rain.
    GTX 960M
    Rain drops at medium.
    All other settings same or lower than recommended for low end gpu.
    PP off.

9. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Now that people said rain drops medium I checked mine and game changed it to medium here. Changed it back to low and got some more fps (this settings make no difference on visual) thanks :)

10. Patrick Craenmehr

Patrick Craenmehr Registered

@Filip @Suzukinol What is the load of your PCI-e (GPU) bus? You can monitor this with MSI Afterburner OSD. And also at what speed is that bus running? x16 v3.0?