DX11 - Input Lag & Triple Screen performance

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by ChazmR, May 7, 2017.

1. ChazmR

ChazmR Registered

Im pretty sure the reason I am getting huge input lag is due to the fact that the game is not running in Fullscreen even though Its set to fullscreen. There is a clear visual delay between me turning my wheel irl to when it happens in-game. I've tried running on Fullscreen, windowed and borderless but nothing changes.

I know previously on DX9 if you ran anything other than Fullscreen you would get HUGE input lag as well and I'm guessing since fullscreen isnt working this is why its happening again. I have tried this in triple screen and single and the affect is the same. The game is completely unplayable for me on DX11 until this is fixed.

Performance wise, PP has a huge affect on triple screens in comparison to single screen (without multiview). With PP on medium even changing graphics setting I can barely get the fps to go above 105fps.
    I completely cleaned CBash and Shaders etc, new json etc. PP off gives similar performance to DX9. Just something I thought I'd mention alongside my Input Lag problem.

Specs:
    i5 6600k
    GTX 1070
    8GB RAM

2. Louis

Louis Registered

It works fullscreen if you set the same resolution to the desktop

3. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Well I don't get input lag with full screen triples,so I guess the problem is on your end,otherwise I should have the lag too,no??

4. ChazmR

ChazmR Registered

I am on the same resolution as desktop. Fullscreen mode launches but you can tell its not fullscreen when you alt + tab. Hence why Vsync doesnt work right now as well due to fullscreen not working. The input lag in non fullscreen doesn't happen for everyone but has been an issue for years @patchedupdemon

Louis likes this.
  5. patchedupdemon

Why are you bothered about Vsync if your bothered about lag

6. Louis

Louis Registered

why not?

7. stonec

stonec Registered

It's not fullscreen as it used to be, for example the Windows 10 notifications pops above the game, which wouldn't be possible if it truly was running in fullscreen mode. The current fullscreen is basically a borderless windowed mode.
    Different people have different sensitivity to input lag. I notice it on most rF2 rigs that use a TV and have v-sync on or don't use fullscreen, some other people think it's fine. Even if you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not there.

Ho3n3r and Louis like this.
  8. thedrumm

thedrumm Registered

Vsync is not working. On my triples, I'm always getting tearing and little "jumps" in the image. I solved that problems activating Vsync, but now is impossible. Not working in rF2 or forcing it in Nvidia Inspector.
    Maybe is a problem with the fullscreen option or maybe not, but the problem keeps.

9. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

I also experience this lag. I checked back-to-back with dx9 multiple times, and there is definitely noticeable input lag with dx11 on my system: Nvidia GTX 970, triples, v-sync off, frames capped at 60 and multiview on.

10. Ferrari64

Ferrari64 Registered

11. ChazmR

ChazmR Registered

Its been confirmed by @Marcel Offermans (i think) in the discord last evening that fullscreen is not actually fullscreen at the moment and they are looking to fix it but don't have an exact date when it will be. As I said previously though, DX11 is unplayable until this is fixed for me so DX9 it is until then :(

12. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

Good to hear, because it's unplayable for me as well. And it makes me realise just how important input lag is.

13. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

Update: after the fullscreen fix there is less input-lag, but still notably more than with dx9. I've done a lot of back-to-back testing lately with different car/track combos and the result was always the same: very subtle yet notable more input lag.

I shot 2 videos to capture the difference in input lag. Both with the car standing in the pits and having both the virtual and real wheel spokes in view as reference points, and me turning the wheel slowly and rapidly to have the virtual one trailing behind the real one. Unfortunately, the difference is so subtle that it doesn't show well on tape. Yet I feel that even on tape it's visible. The effect is more pronounced when actually driving, making the experience slightly like slow-motion. Again, the effect is subtle, but there. In the process of back-to-back testing, I've also invited several people to give their opinion on what they perceived, and all agreed that with dx11, the virtual wheel was trailing behind the real wheel more than with dx9, even the ones with absolutely no clue about computers and what they were looking at.

One more (important?) thing: in the process, I've experimented with the maximum pre-rendered frames, both in dx9 and dx11, yielding a surprising result: in dx9, there was no difference between 'let the application decide', 4 and 1. Remarkably, there was no screen-tearing whatsoever with setting 1, which provided a super smooth at almost fully lag-free experience. With dx11 however, 'let the app decide', 4, 3 and 2 showed no difference. Setting 1 however, caused for terrible screen-tearing and a very stuttery experience(stuttery in addition to showing tears). I'm not savvy enough on subject to know what this might imply, other than that the native setting of dx11 is different from dx9?

One last thing: I'm not an expert with video editing software and hence the 2 single files, sorry:)

My system:
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz, Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
    RAM: 12,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard: MEDION H77H2-EM
    Graphics: NV Surround (5760x1080@60Hz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (MSI), multiview enabled, frames capped at 60

DX9 vid: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vswammcrsmcbhkq/DX9.mp4?dl=0

DX11 vid: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bm4j30mxqqw9cct/DX11.mp4?dl=0

14. patchedupdemon

I thought pre rendered frames options were for sli or crossfire set ups