DX11. GEN error on DX9 working mod.

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by D.Painter, May 4, 2017.

1. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Had posted this in Discussion. Perhaps the wrong people are seeing it there so I'll re-post it here.
    Hi all.
    I'm getting a odd error with one off my mods.
    All others I've looked at work fine.
    The mod in question works fine with DX9 so this one is a bit confusing. It's a GEN error. I'm getting a unknown_token_CPITMAXEXISTS (MESHFILE=FG_CPIT_MAX.GMT) error listed in the log ini. The corresponding GMT is there and naming is correct. Like I say, it works fine in DX9. This issue has only appeared after loading DX11.

Any ideas on how this can be fixed? Could it be a shader issue? Off cause the mods, all mods are still running DX9 shaders and cube maps.
    I updated to DX11 so I could go through and update the mods.

The game crashes when I try to load the car into either track or spinner so the issue is the same in both GEN and spinner GEN.

I spent a few hours looking at this the other day but can't understand why this has happened. There's no custom shaders used in the mod.

2. Doogal

Doogal Registered

Sounds more like a problem with your upgrades.ini?

3. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I agree it looks like it. I think as far as I know it's the only mod I have tested that uses upgrades the way this one dose. Most in rF2 are going towards using Gen String to change parts (rims, tyres, and the like) these days. The few I know of and have tested are working fine with DX11.

But it was all working fine in DX9 and now I have installed DX11 it doesn't. Why would this make any difference to the way the game reads the file structure?
    Dose this mean I'll have to delete all the upgrades ini and convert the mod to using Gen String instead? That'll be a lot of work!! Then I'll have all the textures updating to do still.
    I think I might just pray that Studio 397 knows what's going on with the upgrades in DX11 and gets around to fixing it before the major release or preferably before so I can get on with he textures.

4. CrossPly

CrossPly Registered

You might need to be more specific about how you think this mod is using upgrades differently.

My mod for example uses upgrades quite extensively and is working fine in DX11.

5. Doogal

Doogal Registered

Could be something as simple as typo tbh - the entry in your upgrades does it start with: CPITMAXEXISTS or Gen=CPITMAXEXISTS?, or post it up even.

6. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Token is always an upgrade. Do you have a trackconfigbase file, and it's forcing something that doesn't exist?

7. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Sorry I do understand why you thought "differently". It's my fault by the way I worded it. Not differently, just far more then I've seen in newer mods.

Most mods are using Gen String to set rims, tyres, front and/or rear bumpers and so on. But this mod is still using the upgrades ini to do this. Normally you can change these parts in the list in the tuning window. rF2 doesn't read the ini the same as rFactor did. rF2 is more literal.

Coutie, There's not Trackconfig file.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  8. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Had a look at this. The odd thing was the "Gen=CPITMAXEXISTS" didn't exist in the upgrades at all. It had LOW, MED and HIGH but not MAX. So maybe this could be the issue. What is confusing is the mod shouldn't have worked in DX9 but it did!.
    I've added the MAX line to all the upgrades ini now.

9. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Well!. I added the MAX line to the upgrades ini and test the mod. Now I'm getting 8 unknown tokens. All cockpit.

So maybe I went the wrong way with it. Maybe I need to remove the <CPITMAXEXISTS> from the GEN ini? This is a bit off a learning curve for me.

10. Doogal

Doogal Registered

Would you be able to post your gen and upgrades.ini up?. Would make things easier :)

If you have lines in your GEN file that have <***EXISTS> in them then you should have a line in your upgrade.ini such as either GEN=<***EXISTS>=""
    or GEN=<***EXISTS>="//"

It's basically a switch for displaying the object or not, the first one above will read any lines in your GEN that start <***EXISTS>.
    The second will add // to all lines in your GEN that that start <***EXISTS> so the game ignores them and doesn't display the object.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  11. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

pm sent