DX11 Beta - terrible framerates

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by kevib1, May 2, 2017.

1. kevib1

kevib1 Registered

I am getting undrivable framerates with even the lowest settings in the DX11 Beta. I am drive the USF2000 at Silverstone.
    Initial framerate in the low 50's which drops a few each lap to low 40's after 5 laps. This is in practice with the occasional car in view.
    In the garage I get 35 fps.
    All 4 cores of my CPU and the GPU are only at about 50% usage on track but the GPU bangs straight up to 100% in the menus.
    I am running the same setting with everything on medium that I run on DX9.
    I know I don't have the best pc out there. The CPU is usually the bottleneck, perhaps now it is the PCI E Gen 2 connection to the card ( GTX 770) that is the weakest link.

Maybe this will be ironed out before full release otherwise I hope there will still be the option to run in DX9 for those of us not blessed with a super computer?

2. Matt Beavis

Matt Beavis Registered

I Had same issue. Set shadows to low and set shadow blur off.

I Have now returned to normal fps.

ENsure clear cached folders in log file as well

bwana likes this.
  3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Too bad one of the main points of DX11 was to allow better shadows. Shadows (looks and performance) is my only real complaint about DX9 rF2 when all settings are maxed out.

Matt Beavis likes this.
  4. demerzel

demerzel Registered

What if you move your player.json file and let the dx11 build create a new one?

5. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

I tried the JSON file recreate and that did nothing to improve the FPS on an AMD RX480.

6. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Reflections for Env and Car from high to low can give substantial performance boosts, with neglible visual difference also.

7. Sachmo-Aus

Sachmo-Aus Registered

Hi Kevib1, I am running a GTX 750 and found similar issues with frame rates. Rather than manually disabling some of the plugins I had and resetting configs I uninstalled rFactor 2, and afterwards deleted the remaining folders/files, and reinstalled (I also unsubscribed to any HUD packages I had). I did this just to start with a fresh playing field and was surprised to see how much smoother the game was by default. Can't comment on what it was that fixed it - and suspect if I had have disabled the right plugins and reset certain configs in-game I would have gotten to the same result. But I guess I took the simple route by wiping and reinstalling and it did the job. I'm actually quite impressed with the smoothness of the game for this ol' GTX 750. Quite smooth with everything at maximum detail apart from the new post effects, which I have set at High.

8. LeStrat

LeStrat Registered

Wow! With a GTX770 I can only dream of that. Special effects to Medium, Antialiasing to 1, reflections to low, and shadows also not maxed out to be able to reach 60fps here.

9. Sachmo-Aus

Sachmo-Aus Registered

Yeah, just found it worked quite smoothly after deleting it off my computer and reinstalling. Attached some screenshots of settings and gameplay (showing fps, etc). A couple of things, I'm averaging only around 28fps but it appears pretty smooth - no complaints. I'm not a hardcore gamer generally speaking, but I know what low fps looks like. Perhaps the nature of the more linear driving motion of a car game means lower fps appear less stuttery (compared to the rapid movements of a first person shooter). Don't know. The second thing, just to clarify is that I have a GTX 750 Ti - not sure if or how much difference that makes over a GTX 770. I've attached screenshots of my settings, and the resulting FPS on track. Again, I jumped straight to a wipe and reinstall (game only, not Steam or O/S), so I can't comment on the specific plugin or config change that did the trick. But I'm finding it fairly smooth performance (not noticing stuttering) even at 28fps. Given your on-track GPU usage is only 50% (mine sits at 100%), and your menu's then ramp up to 100%, sounds like something is indeed a bit screwy...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  10. Stefan Kanitz

Stefan Kanitz Registered

I can just recommend you to do a new clean installation if you have time. I know it's a lot to download but from my experience it's the only way. I always got problems when just updating the game. A clean fresh installation always solved my issues in any direction.

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

No wonder you have bad fps if expect a 2 fps with those settings & I have a 1080ti watercooled !!!
    Change :

Anti alisiang to. X1. ( no supersample in your gpu settings )

Post effects to x1 at most

Turn everything down in rfactor2 options

12. bwana

bwana Registered

did the same re. shadows and removed special effects and am able to run both reflections at full with only an extra 2fps drop. all game settings on max. getting 45/60 on r9 290 3gb. Turning virtual mirrors off ,if you use them, also gains between 5/10fps for me.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  13. 4thworld

4thworld

hi mate,
    try the new patch for the beta and let me know!

In any case the ideal scenario that we want is the CPU to be low in % while the GPU should stay as close at 100% as possible.

14. kevib1

kevib1 Registered

Just tried the beta again Silverstone, USF2000, shadow blur set to none. Great framerates.. Could even start at the back of a 20 car grid.
    I couldn't see the current frame rate only min and avg so don't know what it was on the grid but the display wasn't choppy so good enough. The min rate (19) would be when I return to the pits and it shows a replay which was painfully slow and choppy.
    I have my fps capped at 65 in the config and the max and avg where both that so at least as good as in DX9.
    GPU was running at 70% on the grid. Generally, my old processor is the bottleneck and I rarely fully load the GPU. That is my reason for capping the FPS.
    Good job on the latest release. More testing when I have some time again.