Released DX11 and VR Open Beta, Is Here!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 1, 2017.

1. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I did a completely fresh install of the beta rather than switching from a regular install so maybe that makes a difference but it's running really great. Specs in my profile. I'm running medium post effects, all other settings the same as before. Getting about the same FPS. Certainly not seeing a significant drop. Seeing a few stutters in replay though. All in all I have to say great job!

2. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

anyone with an AMD card got it working perfectly? what driver version?

3. Seculi

Seculi Registered

It was mentioned that the new content uses Ambient Occlusion.

What version of Ambient Occlusion is used. Since there are common kinds, nVidia kinds and AMD kinds of AO. (i`m assuming a routine that suits nVidia ???)

And where is the setting in the menu`s to turn AO off completely ? (or other question, when does the new menustructure become available ?)

btw also AMD GPU here Rad-7950 with the same performance plummiting, however on some modtracks like the tracks from the F1 1988 mod there seems to be no performance issue.
    Nola and old 1966 SPA give me the biggest problems with only 15-20 FPS, MOD F1 1988 Silverstone i get 60-70 FPS like usual. (so it looks to me to be a shader/shading-problem.)

4. qusimano

qusimano Registered

AMD R9 380 4GB
    down to 7 fps @ matsusaka with formula renault

5. jeffers

jeffers Registered

Have this same issue, saying my 6GB 980ti video card has only 1024MB of memory. In-game also says I'm running Win8, rather than Win10. Game keeps crashing.

6. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

My guess here is that everything released under S397 before today was showing, since you had to manually subscribe to it in the first place and it is just an update (so that should be NOLA, GT500, and USF2000 and maybe one or two more I might have forgotten). Since the other content was released under an ISI account (and auto-subscribed) I assume without checking, that they deleted it from the ISI account, and posted the updated version under the S397 account (which doesn't auto-subscripe, so you have to subscribe manually ;) ) If this is true than it isn't ideal, but probably to be expected when rF2 was handed over... I believe I did read some time ago that with the new UI (that isn't there yet) they would make it more accessible/easier.

TJones likes this.
  7. FS7

FS7 Registered

Since plugins don't work with this beta is there any plans to improve the hud? Maybe include something more complete kind of like AMS hud?
    Also it would be nice to have more info on exact settings for each AA level.

Daniele Vidimari likes this.
  8. Louis

Louis Registered

Just a reminder to people with crashing issues: delete cbash and shader content, here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Log

jeffers, Ernie and Jake Loewenstein like this.
  9. makis

makis Registered

hi, my game crashes i get this error:
    unable to init VR runtime: installation path could not be located(110) VR error

10. jdaddle

jdaddle Registered

installed no problems, disabled all plugins but steam. Runs terrible, went from over 60fps, my max res for my monitor with settings maxed, to 17-20, with no post process effects turned on. If turn them to low or med drops to below 10. Unplayable, Was hoping for better than this. Not happy at all. thats with new stockcars at new indy.

11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Using a GTX 1070 /I5 6600k max settings 5x AA / ultra PP @4k, i am getting around 45fps in puts at Nola and going up to 60fps with v-sync but it isnt really smooth. If i turn PP off i am back to a pretty solid v-sync but early days as I've only tried one car (GT500) and Nola.

12. jymp

jymp Registered

Yep, runs terrible and looks terrible, back to DX 9 for me

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

OK, so basically a disaster from what am I reading.

First, why on earth wasn't a second beta install process (a la AMS) utilized so we don't have to touch our original rF2 installations and plug-ins (that knowing rF2 took far too many hours of fiddling and frustration to get working properly)???

Second...I am not even going to bother. I'll revert to DX9 before I even launch DX11. I won't be surprised if my DX9 install is now screwed-up as well. If so, I am done with rF2 until this gets sorted. There are too many other good titles out there to use. This is an extreme disappointment that we have late no new updated UI, no significant new content and the one item that was supposed to be ready and presumably tested is rife with problems. And if it's all installation and upgrade issues, and not the actual coding, then welcome back to the first three years of consistently botched rF2 updates from ISI.

14. Danneskjold184

Danneskjold184 Registered

Same boat here. I'll play with it more tomorrow, but with a league race on Wednesday I'm pulling the plug unless someone can find the magic potion.

15. blagger

blagger Registered

Contrary to many others I am happy with the performance.
    I am using Oculus Rift (pixel override 1.3) on my medium spec PC (i5 2500k, GTX 980, 16 GB, Win10), post processing off, car, track and texture details on high, shadows on medium.
    I tested a few cars and tracks with 19 AI: NOLA, Silverstone, Limerock Park, Matsusaka run very smooth at constant 45 fps (ASW enabled), only Bathurst has lower fps at the start. Nissan GT 500, USF2000, FR3.5 run great, Honda NSX on the other hand at Bathurst is unplayable.

The only (very!) important thing that is missing for me is the ability to disable world movement (lock to horizon). The shaking of the camera at Bathurst for example is very bad.
    I tried setting head physics to 0, but it is still not good.

Other than that, I am very impressed. Very good job Studio-397.

16. jeffers

jeffers Registered

Thanks, deleted these, along with turning off the plugins and the game is no longer crashing. FPS was g-synching to 144 beforehand, now fps hovers around 100, though replays plummet to 35 fps. But must say I'm so far impressed with the initial results.

Louis likes this.
  17. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

Not all vr users have asw and many are not happy to be in reprojection anyway. Sounds like awful performance to me. I'll report back on my vive experience with a 1080ti, if I have troubles then it's pretty clear there's something not right

james_sadler likes this.
  18. jymp

jymp Registered

And for me at least Anti-Aliasing is terrible now, jaggies everywhere with DX11, and some now with DX 9

19. Nicolas Pailhes

Nicolas Pailhes Registered

Thank you Studio you did very good work :)
    I have an I7 6700k 16gb and gtx1080 I turn around 100fps everything with post effect in ultra on silverstone with 28 cars in tracks (105 visible)
    Do not forget to subscribe to the studio workshop to download the updates of the cars and circuits otherwise you will not have the right shaders. Sorry I'm French, I do not write very well English ... but I hope you understand.

Attached Files:

20. guga_cyr

guga_cyr Registered

My first impressions are pretty good.

It certainly looks better & while FPS is a little down from DX9 - the cause (for me) seems to be down to optimisation of the car/track or a combo of both rather than any setting fiddling.

So far I've tried Matsu-whatevs GP with a field of 40 GT3 World Series cars - FPS is 120+ everywhere but the main straight, but all the extra lighting effects are just beautiful.

Went to the AC port of Nords next (GT3 mod again, 40 car field) & while I didn't make it round the whole lap without crashing (the car) FPS was the most consistent out of any of the tracks tried so far - eg never went below 120+.

Bathurst wasn't any good, FPS drops everywhere round the lap unfortunately, but it DID look very nice!

Also tried HJK F1 2016 at RaceFactor Monza & Barber, FPS was stable except for the main straight at Monza. Same with '75 F1 mod.

Then I went back to the GT3 mod, but added in P2's, BMW's, Vantages & F430's from enduracers - FPS dropped considerably on all tracks I tried (I'm talking max 30, be it in cockpit view or TV view).....

Other things I noticed were Silvertone missing from the tracks list & the FPS whilst in the monitor view being pretty low (30ish) but when I make the display on monitor view full screen the FPS picks up significantly. When I minimize the display again, the FPS nose dives accordingly making navigating the menu quite sluggish - which definitely wasn't happening for me yesterday.

So with the combo of GT3 mod/AC-port of Nords (go figure!) working smoothest of all, that's where I'm going back to do some more running now, with x60 time progression so I can enjoy all the DX11 goodness on offer while I wait for other cars/tracks to be optimised!

TL;DR: I'll be keeping the beta installed & look forward to optimisation updates