DX11 and Helmet Glows with Night Lights

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by rigodon, Mar 15, 2018.

1. rigodon

rigodon Registered

Hi, I'm having the famous "DX11 Glow Problem" with the FISI 2012 Helmet material:

casco.png

Maybe I'm missing something, but I already checked the artist guidelines page before asking. For objects using the T1 shader, I could fix it by aplying a maximum output level of 200 to textures. But the FISI 2012 helmet is using the Bump Cube Specular Map T1. I tried reducing the output level of the helmet texture, with no luck. I tried editing the helmet material, and set Specular color to c8c8c8. Also edited the Fresnel Specular and Fresnel Reflection properties, with no luck.

Can someone please tell me what I'm missing?

2. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Registered

3. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Whiteis better with a output level of 185

Ernie likes this.
  4. rigodon

rigodon Registered

Thanks for the answer. I already did (applying saturation -10 and output level 190 to helmet texture), but nothing changed. I think it's important to say it only happens with night lights, so I was also thinking about editing the track lights.

5. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Applying to the whole texture may not have the desired effect, because the white portion itself may still be well over 200 and hence the shine...what I do is select all the white stuff, and new layer via cut and on that new layer select white only (you will have some transparent stuff) and then using levels/saturation manipulate that till you are around a mean of around 185 as Nibiru said. Save as psd for further editing later, then flatten layers and save as your helmet dds. There probably better ways to do this, but that's how I'm doing it atm.

6. rigodon

rigodon Registered

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. According to my testing, white colors with max output in the range 190-200 are ok for sunlight, but not for nightlights. I had to reduce output levels to 160 to remove the glow.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

It depends on the night (omni) light as well, omni light has certain intensity specified in track SCN and it might be that the track maker has put unrealistically strong values there.

8. McNolo

McNolo Registered

The night lights, even with low intensities, cause an undesired effect on the skins, it looks very bright and saturated. In my improved version of Bahrain, which I will publish tomorrow, I include documentation about this.

Basically, it is necessary to create skins with lower levels and saturation to make it look good, especially if the track uses high lighting (F1 style), like Bahrain have.

Juergen-BY likes this.
  9. rigodon

rigodon Registered

The track SCN has intensity 10 for Omni Lights. It's OK from the driving visibility point of view, it looks similar to TV, as McNolo says. So, the only solution at this time is to create night-specific versions of helmets and liveries. Thanks everybody for the inputs;)

McNolo likes this.