DW12 @ Indy: Setups in the draft

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yoeri Gijsen, May 22, 2015.

1. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

Hello,

I've been pondering and clicking for a while trying to deal with understeer caused by driving close behind someone else with the DW12 at Indy (oval to be sure). The setup feels good in 'clean' air, meaning all four tires stick, even over the turn 3 bump, and is still fast (39.6 on a full tank of fuel). Since i'm no hero with setups I assume there are some things I missed, but I'm quite content with how the car behaves when running free of traffic.

In the draft it seems hard to make it work though. I do adjust my anti-roll bars, especially the rear one, to counter the understeer, but it never feels well quite enough.

What are your suggestions for dealing with this understeer, setup-wise ( I know lifting is one way), without losing the balance in 'clean' air?

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Good question, try playing with ride heights. I'd be surprised if you find a solution to be honest.

3. speedy84

speedy84 Registered

During a race I just increase the front wing by one click. That allows me driving close behind others while turning.
    And be careful, the car feels also a lot more sensitive ;) But after some practice it feels alot more comfortable.
    When there are better solutions I also would be happy to know them :)