driving the skippy

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by metalhead7, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

the skippy is easy to drive, it has little things one has to learn about it and it is a tad twitchy on corners that's why it makes a really good training car for track tuition days

I can't see why anyone has a problem with it

I suspect it's more to do with hardware setup / lag issues etc if you don't feel connected to the sim car as it should give you a nice "feel" instantly even if you are spinning off at the corners initially

take it very slow at first and build up carefully just like you surely would in real life

2. Emil Zhelyazkov

Emil Zhelyazkov Registered

Best car. At the beginning I was spinning and spinning. After that watched Going faster, try to get smoothly and get better results.
    I drive only regional and only default setup. It's harder to drive it but more challenging. True drivers car.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2014
  3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

+ toe = toe-in = / \
    - toe = toe-out = \ /

99.99999% sure it's been like this on every car in rF1, rF2, and any sims based on ISI engines. I'm pretty sure it's like this on most, if not all, sims as well.

4. rer8

rer8 Registered

Setup for SB

View attachment 12307

Here is a setup I made this morning in answer to the question about driving the "Skippy." Remember to keep the car balanced. I am not really a fast driver but achieved a clean 117.800 at the ISI Silverstone International circuit with this setup. The car is easy to drive with this setup. I am sure that there are those that can cut a second or more off of my time, and I admit that there are some tweaks that may improve the lap times. Hope you will enjoy this setup.

A few nights ago I ran a low 59 at Lime Rock with this same setup... I like this car.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Probably one of the things we need to look at, is that we supply racer setups. The kart, for example, is a racer setup. Casual karts aren't setup like that. Skippy has very few setup changes possible, I spun one in 2006 my first time in it. It's hard for me to say whether we're too difficult there, it was raining my second day in it on the full track.

6. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I agree with that statement. Now go and apply that statement to the skip barber and then do the same with the Kart. They are different. Positive values equate to toe out and understeer with the Kart. Vice versa with every other vehicle. This could be as I stated the difference on whether the steering rack joins the hub in front of the strut or behind it. It would be nice if all vehicles had the term (in) or (out) after the figure when you set toe. The same as it is in the Megane for instance.

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If positive values give you understeer then that indicates toe-in, not toe-out, which would indeed be correct and in-line with pretty much every other car I've ever driven/played, and matches my description. Why do you think it's reversed on the kart? Seems to work the same on the kart as it does on every other car for me....

8. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I guess I mean push on mid corner under throttle rather than understeer. The kart seems to be the opposite to all the other vehicles in that respect to me. I'll admit to finding the setups all a bit confusing. To me the default skippy setup seems a bit unstable and harder to control compared to say 0.00 on the rear and -0.5 on the front. To make the kart feel predictable like that I find I want toe in on the front.

What has confused me most is the Megane really. because it has the addition of the mm figure and that works the opposite to the plus and minus button. It all makes sense when I look really hard. I guess.

9. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes the standard setup is strange and I haven't driven this car for some time but I'm surprised, it makes fun. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014
  10. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

With attitude like this you can just go and play Assetto Corsa and stay there, you don`t have a clue what simracing is about.
    Skip Barber F2000 is one of the best mods ever made, it is simple to drive and it learns you a lot how to drive with the racing car.

Everyone who claims that Assetto Corsa is better to simulate real racing car, you also tell me that you are just a video gamer not a simracer.

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

This video is a great example of the real thing for reference purposes. Especially because we can get the same track, too!

12. datanode

datanode Registered

I agree with Ari on this. It is really easy to feel weight xfer, it is also awesome to feel the tyres come in after some considerate prep work.

Sure it can be frustrating, but maybe this isn't for you? If you like to drive balls out fast for a perfect lap and restart every time you drive of the track then I don't know what you expect from this, a simulator?

Be patient give it time and the laps will come. Read the books and understand what they are on about, it will also help.

Lastly, try not to make ac comparisons. I have ac and use it on a rare occasion to see what the others are talking about or to just have a go. But it isn't the same breed as rfactor2. They are for different uses / audiences.

I love being able to manage tyres and be rewarded for it or push the last few tenths out of a few laps because I saved the tyres for it, only rfactor2 lets me do this.

This is me saying this where I am currently struggling for pace in rf2 at the moment and have never been that slow on a real track either. I have also been faster in rfactor2.

But this is just my setup and my lack of practice and gives me something to aim for.

Sim racing requires some correlation which I think I am lacking currently, again practice.

That said, I can drive and still get rewarded :)

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

AC is a great feeling semi-sim. If the FFB wasn't so positive feeling it wouldn't be anything special. People think it's so great because they don't know how to differentiate between FFB and physics. AC is a semi-Sim.

Me and my "rookie" friend were playing it last night. You don't't even understand how many "simcade" moments I was forced to witness while he played, and endure myself as well.

Just because the FFB "feel" is nice and controllable, just because the FFB has been programed well to feel some tyre slip and weightiness, doesn't neccessarily mean the car is behaving like a sim.

I was honestly blown away at how disapointed I was in AC last night. I spent all night just saying to myself things like the following:

- "OMG look at what the car did there, how in the world can so many claim this game to be a true-sim, I mean did you see that?"

- "OMG are you kidding me? How can my friend, who knows nothing about throttle control or any techniques, make the car stick there. He was flooring the car and doing all sorts of wacky movements while the car was heavily loaded in a high speed sweeper where it was on the limits and should be in a fairly sensitive state, and yet the car is just taking all of my friends' wacky and terrible control inputs like some console racer"

- "What the heck? My friend corrects the car so late, his reactions are terrible, not to mention when he finally does correct he corrects sooo slowly as if he's scared to turn the wheel, yet the car still magically keeps re-gripping and re-stabilizing itself even after his terrible car-control inputs? What in the world???"

- "He was loaded up and then all over the grass, the car just does a gentle quarter spin (if even) then it just magically stops spinning and regains all composure with hardly any input, any corrections needed from the driver, this happens on the track a lot too. What in the world?"

- "He is driving way over the car's limit and his doing the absolute worst throttle/pedal/steering combinations one can do regarding car control, yet the car just takes it, no corrections are even needed, just drive like someone who doesnt know a thing about cars, take the car up to and beyond it's limits and the car just takes it all, regardless of how terrible your steering/braking/throttle inputs are, seriously what the heck is wrong with this game, I'm trying to love it but this is beyond just harder-isn't-more-realistic, this is straight-up arcadey at times"

The game is fun, good graphics, good 3D, and a general nice and solid FFB feel which gives a good sense of confidence and control (which sadly gives the impression to others of great physics/vehicle behaviour), but I'm sorry the game is not "true-sim", the vehicles/physics have an element of "videogame-iness" added to them, UNLIKE Netkar Pro; Netkar Pro was a "true-sim" like rFactor 2, like iRacing, like Game Stock Car, like Live for Speed.

I'm not saying those other sims are perfect, on the contrary; All sims have flaws and issues in their physics; HOWEVER, there is a difference between flaws, because it's impossible to make a perfect sim, and just straight-up arcadiness. 2 completely different things.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
  14. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Looking for some help to get the best view from the cockpit when driving this car. I find when looking left or right the side panel interfere.

Looking at real images this does not seem to be the case. The obvious is seat moving yes but just trying to get match what the real seat position is does not seem to come out.

My measured FOV should be 30. I have used from 30 to 50 with no apparent difference.

Can other look at the screen shots and maybe compare to what you use. Mostly trouble seeing other cars is what I am trying to improve.

View attachment 12768

View attachment 12769

View attachment 12770

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

FOV will not change the actual seating position, it is only changing the FOV. The camera is still spawning from the exact same point, therefore FOV is not what you want to change if you think you are too far back. If you think the camera spawning point, AKA the "eyes", is originating from too far back then just simply move the seat forward. You can adjust the seat forward, backwards, up and down. It sounds like you would like to move the seat forward.

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Yes, Tim, two basic setups for each car should always be included: a racer set-up and a beginner set-up. Aside from the obvious benefit, it also lets people compare the two and see the differences and start planning what they might adjust as they become consistent with the beginner set-up. It provides a "road map" of where you likely want to go with the set-up as you gain skill and consistency.

17. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I totally agree with having multiple setups. I think we should have at least 2 per car. One race setup, and one stable (but slower) setup. I had thought about this sometime ago, with some other idea, and posted it in the wishlist section. And I think that change suggested in the wishlist is needed to have mutliple setups per car included in an install, otherwise I think it would become messy ;)

18. Comante

Comante Registered

Yes, to help even more, it would be amazing if there will be some notes about WHY this or that parameter is different. Setups could come as a learning tool. For example : basic setup "a softer rear roll bar is employed to make the car a bit understeering and less nervous", while the racing setup could say "stiffer rear roll bar let the pilot that advantage of weight transfer to improve turn in". (those are just to give an idea).

19. Led566

Led566 Registered

"OMG - I'm definitely better than Gilles itself (and Ken Block too!) because I've just drifted the 312T all the way up in San Donato turn!"

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

New FR35 should be the first car with an easier setup.