driving the skippy

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by metalhead7, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Haha cool makes you want to take the skippy round mid ohio right away doesn't it? The last two corners on our mid ohio seem a lot tighter than the real one. The driver makes a lot of corrections yes but the car looks nowhere near as hard to handle as the default skippy setup. To get it to behave like that I have to tone those levels of toe right down. Not saying I can't handle it at any setup values especially since the steering torque minimum setting became a "thing", but its much more of a baby at lower values of toe than the default setup. I was trying to point the original poster metal in the direction of making sure he had good control settings before criticizing the handling of any vehicle in the game, once that is correct all of the cars have a really natural feel about them and are controllable, if you have bad settings you could easily misconstrue it as terrible car physics.

2. MapleHamwich

MapleHamwich Registered

The Skip Barber is a great car for beginners, but not for the reason they might expect. The car is designed to teach drivers how to understand and handle the dynamics behind driving a race car. In order to do that, the car is setup such that it will reward you when you drive it well and it will punish you when you drive it poorly. Just as the rFactor 2 car description says:

There is a technique behind driving the car, and you have to spend time learning and applying that technique. Happily, that technique also applies to almost every car you will drive later on in your sim racing career. To learn that technique, again, see the rFactor 2 car description page. Here is the direct quote if you're too lazy to go to the page yourself:

Also, as the rFactor 2 car description page says, seek out this book to learn more about proper race driving technique. A summarized (it is feature film length, still) version of the information in that book can be seen in a video of the same name, which can be found on youtube.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I've driven both the iRacing and ISI version, worked for both companies, and spun the real car when stabbing the throttle rather than being smooth. The car is very nervous if you make it that way, but I think in both sims (last time I tried iRacing, at least), the car is planted when under steadily increasing throttle. That's one of the judgements I felt able to make when we released our Skippy, and that was how much it related to my experiences of it elsewhere.

One of the important things to possibly remember is that we do model both the National and Regional config. Perhaps you are comparing the wrong one to the other. AFAIK iRacing only has one modeled.

4. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

With the default setup you definitely have to drive it to perfection or suffer the consequences. I was just wondering if that's how they give it to you as a first time driver of a real skip barber? Or would they give you a more understeering (safer) setup and build you up, it's still a bit nervous if you take the toe down but nowhere near as much as the default levels. So do they throw you in at the deep-end or do they build you up? I just imagine Lime Rock Park to be littered with bits of smashed Skippy if it's deep-end, which is what I would describe the ISI Skippy as in the default setup. And that's not a criticism I love the vehicle, easily one of my favouites.

5. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I'm sorry if my previous question wasn't clear... I see a lot of discussions about toe in/out for the Skippy. By default it's +1.5 rear and front which I assume means /----\. So does this mean just reducing it or even trying negative values?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
  6. metalhead7

metalhead7 Registered

yea. you guys were absolutely right. you must be onthe throttle in turns.it just takes some getting used to. but it definitely stabilizes the car and prevents spin when you are on throttle in turns. I remember a car in GT legends some years back that was like this. but isn't this a trait of front wheel drive cars?

7. metalhead7

metalhead7 Registered

yea Tim, there is no doubt that being on throttle in turns stabilizes it. this was very surprising to me, but now I feel so much more confident that i'll get it eventually. thanks

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Next task: under a minute on LRP Metalhead!

:)

9. rer8

rer8 Registered

I was reading somewhere recently and it occurred to me that adding pressure to the front tires would reduce grip... I have found that in the SB mod just a small increase in tire pressure will reduce the oversteer tendency. This car must be driven smoothly to be successful. Smooth application of all controls, throttle, brakes, and steering are a must.

10. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

It happens for different reasons entirely.

In FWD applying throttle stabilizes you, because front wheels start to pull. Everything is more stable when pulled, rather than pushed :)

In Skippy, it's about balance. When you decelerate front wheels are more loaded than rear wheels. This means front has more grip and is able to turn more aggressively, while rear end is not capable of keeping up - and you spin out.
    When accelerating - front wheels get less load than rears, this means they're not able to produce so much turning force and rear end has now more grip and is capable of following front easily - car is stable.

You get the fastest cornering when you have much grip at the front, because this makes car turn, but as long as you have enough grip at the rear to keep up with the front.

And additionally - you need to keep in mind that accelerating and braking requires grip as well. Then you have elevation changes, banking, curbs - all that stuff can temporarily change car balance or cause some oscillation, which will produce a series of balance changes :)

Cars like Skippy are all about trying to create the right balance for every situation and then taking advantage of produced grip to get better corner speed, entry and exit. It's part art, part science.
    And it takes practice :) It's just like riding a bicycle - may seem impossible the first time you try it, but then your body learns certain moves :)

11. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I sooo want to comment on that but i'm afraid Tim will slap me :)

12. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Hehe.

About that bicycle thing - I think it's one of difficulties in simracing. It's easier to keep car in balance in reality, because we have immediate feedback. And all kinds of it.
    In simulation we only have steering wheels, sound and display. Only FFB in steering wheel has a chance to produce almost immediate responses. Sound needs some buffering and visuals take some time to render and display. But even FFB can produce responses only after physics calculations have completed.

This small latency is something that makes it difficult sometimes. Imagine a radio controlled bicycle - would you be able to control it from your laptop, or would it fall over? It would definitely fall at first. But the real question is - would you be able to learn it? Perhaps, but it would be more difficult than actually riding that bicycle.

Fortunately for us, it's cars we're driving in simulation, so something you control entirely mechanically in real life as well.
    So it's not that bad, but I still a bit more difficult than reality. Then again, we don't have these g-forces, heat or vibrations getting in our way, so we don't deal with some problems real life drivers have to.

13. metalhead7

metalhead7 Registered

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Because everyone is, same for rf2 :)

fwiw, fast times are 0:58 if I recall correctly. of course that is probably fully rubbered and 'some' fuel level.
    with 'some' I mean I forgot whether the skippy behaves better on minimal fuel or better with some fuel. it differs per mod and some mods need a little ballast to become more effective.

15. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Because everyone is? LOL

16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Everyone apart from you then. well done for going under the minute on your very first attempts in rf2.

17. rer8

rer8 Registered

I could not agree more K Szczech.... I did error in my comment above but in at least one mod where no adjustments other than tire pressures are available it was for me a final and successful attempt to settle the car. Balance and knowing how the next weight shift is going to effect the performance of the car requires some thinking initially, and as you so appropriately recommended, Driving Faster, I too, think it may be indispensable. I ran across a setup flow chart from Thorney Motorsport, which has aided me from time to time as well. Thanks for keeping me straight. :)

18. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

Had a good giggle at metalheads rant cos I felt exactly the same as him when I first tried to drive the skippy. After reading the ISI notes and practising, it is now my favourite rfactor car to drive.

19. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Got me wrong there. I was posting at the same time as you in answer to Metalhead.

20. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Oh rats, I thought you was being pedantic :p

Ignore my little comment as well then pls :)