Driving in rf2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pay2021, Mar 21, 2013.

1. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

To be clear:

Im a pretty decent driver IRL and virtual, even won some virtual races, so much get used with rf1 and now rf2 but i notice some posts about the control of the car in rf2 that make ask if is that way.

Just some:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/10701-Driving

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/11200-What-about-real-helps

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/11199-Can-t-be-bothered-with-skippys

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/10894-ICE

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/10778-Driving-aids

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/10702-Throttling-in-the-turns-with-a-Formula-racing-car

We just move on? or is something to take note or they are just random issues?

2. Golanv

Golanv Registered

All's well, move on.

3. ifrans

ifrans Registered

I think the cars are simulated fine with small issuese perhaps, I don't notice them. I think in real life it's hard to drive a Marussia or other race cars, but because the drivers are very competent you don't notice it that much. The only problem we have we don't feel G-force, so that makes it a bit harder for us to feel the car. Rfactor 2 is simulating a step further, so we need to adapt our qualities to a higher level than we were used to with other sims. On the servers you can see people mastering the marussia just fine, i'm not at that level but I hope to get there.
    imho.

4. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Don't know about the Marussia - but I've raced a 450bhp GT4 Vantage and the feel of the Corvette / GT-R feels v v close at the wheel, excluding power differences.

5. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Not to question your experience but for me, the difference between the GTR & Corvette is like night and day. I love the GTR but I can't stand the way the C6 drives. Granted, I've only tried the default setup with minor tweaks but it's terrible under braking, it wants to swap ends every braking zone. Almost feels like an rf1 car where everything seemed to drive like this. It almost feels like a Porsche at times :D
    Snappy uncatchable oversteer and massive oversteer under braking and turning to make the car rotate around the front axle rather than with it :p

6. Panigale

Panigale Banned

The OOB settings on the C6R are great except for the Dif. To resolve that brake issue you need to increase Dif Coast to around 55%. I also reduced Dif Power to 25%. I used to track my old 951 and I could brake plenty hard without issues. Rear would get a bit loose but that was about it. The C6R as it is delivered on brakes is I think unusable. Easy fix though and it is my fav car in rF2. Putting down mid 50s at LRP.

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Lack of practice. Pretty much everyone should be able to do OK in a sim. The extra bit comes from natural talent and equipment.

But the biggest factor, lack of practice. Real racing drivers, do what they do for a living. They have muscle memory tuned to particular cars, and they have driven them most of their lives. How people expect to hop into a realistic simulation of those cars, and instantly be on real driver pace, I have no idea.

And no, 'difficulty' isn't realism, realism is realism. But people have got to be realistic of their ability, and recognize what they are actually doing. Seems few do.

8. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Totally agree, but see, one of my close friends is a race driver, his father was (and his father has a Morgan!! and a Stingray OMG), he use to race rally and now he race at Karts, his father teach to drive since a very young age, and he has that natural ability that have some a few racers, that gift, he is very fast and he insist that a race car is not that unforgettable like in some sims and i start to thinking that way.

I dont know, maybe is the lack of Gs, that says a lot from a drive lecture.

9. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Do you mean unforgivable?

10. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Hi pay2021, I think you mean to say, unforgiving. Being a RL track day fan myself I would say rF2 is the most realistic sim I've ever played but I do think "Green" is a bit too green and that causes any green track and/or off-the-racing-line driving to be too slick. I do see F1 drivers make pass attempts going into a turn that require a different line, that just can't be done with much success on rF2. I'm sure it will be addressed...what we have now is excellent and only getting better!

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

In a game you want to basically cover all possibilities. So 'green' isn't "we've just turned up at the track and are starting our weekend" but more along the lines of "the tarmac's just been laid down". If you make 'green' the same as an often-used race track you lose the ability to simulate a greener track, even if that's something you wouldn't normally use.

So it's important to load a realroad of some sort at the moment (probably generated manually, maybe with an AI doing the normal line and a player driving off line), and hopefully there'll eventually be a server-side option to give the entire track something more than green grip from the start if that's what you want.

The other aspect to this is where does rain bring it back to, and how quickly - but the whole rubber-up / rain-clean effect is still accelerated so that's probably not worth worrying about right now.

12. liebestod

liebestod Registered

The biggest problem is that rf2 barely feeds any g-force into the FFB. You're relying almost entirely on audible and visual cues for a sense of g-force. It's realistic that you would mostly feel the front wheels in the FFB, but it doesn't help to convey anything you'd actually feel in real life.

Kind of similar to the RealHeadMotion plugin being wayyyy better than the default setup, an FFB system that makes the wheel heavier not just in regards to grip, but also in terms of the g-forces on the driver is a lot better. Hope either ISI changes it or someone makes a plugin. We rely on the FFB for more than just front wheels feel because in a sim we are so disconnected from the car.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

FFB currently can't be set via a plugin. Not through the game itself at least.

14. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Yes! sorry for my english :)

I make in all tracks a real road save, put 20 IA and rubber the track, in this solo aspect rf2 blast any sim, i cant see other can compete with that, by far. As you say i try myself this last F1 race in Melbourne and can make a 1:31 lap with the car pretty stock.

@ liebestod
    Ill must try that real head motion plugin, thinking, this can be the only way we can "feel" the Gs. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013
  15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Every car is forgiving. Just don't piss it off enough to where it has to forgive you. :) Any real racing driver needs time in sims, for their brain to connection the physical world with the virtual one. IMHO it's easier to go from sim to real, than from real to sim. These days most racing drivers have grown up with both.