Driving Aids - TC,ABS etc

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by argo0, Mar 30, 2012.

1. argo0

argo0 Registered

Hi
    I never usually use driving aids unless specified in a mod readme, such as TC in CTDP06 for rfactor 1. However, racing the Meganes, it was brought to my attention that the REAL Meganes use TC and ABS when racing. I've also read

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...sg=AFQjCNEyXTK--Or-T-S5O8tEsm79O9Fjog&cad=rja

which seems to indicate that the Nissan GT-R GT1 2011 has no TC or ABS, but does have a Stability Control system. So I tried it, but the LCD display informed me that turning Stability Control on also turns ABS on.

So, any advice about which aids to use on which cars? And why does turning Stability Control on low also turn on ABS? I'm just trying to simulate the real thing as accurately as possible and, as usual, more questions have arisen.

2. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

To my thinking, Stability Control, would also include ABS, since brake lock up would severely hinder any type of stability

3. argo0

argo0 Registered

Thanks for reply Jim. Makes sense,and I suspected as much. Dunno what to make about the article I linked to though. Says it has no TC or ABS but does feature a Stability system of sorts.
    Incidentally, with all the effort the developers and modders put in to try and simulate, I've never understood why there isnt clear information in the tech details of the showroom or something to tell us whether or not a certain car used these assists or not. I think its very important and is a glaring omission.
    That said, I love driving the Nissan GTR with no assists aswell as with Stability control. Also, it occurs to me-what does Stability control do in rfactor? Surely it doesn't merely turn the ABS on!

4. Chopslide

Chopslide Registered

Im interested....... did you find your lap times better with s control? this has been a very interesting topic to me as I like gt cars and it seems that most of them use some sort of tc/ stability control abs or combos of all the above... but there seems to be a lack of info like you say about the subject as it applies to rf. I always drive with all aids off but dont know if that is true to the car/series or not.
    reading about the gtr when it came into production it seemed that a fair amount of the amazing performance and ability to post numbers close to the porshe that it was designed to compete with came from sophisticated stability/performance control systems
    I am sure that this thread will get some good replys.....

5. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

I am pretty sure that anyone who has talked/chatted with me knows I am one who like realism. I want to be able to see what "aids" are available in what server... as I really dislike not being in "control" of my vehicle.
    My wife's MINI Cooper S has that "dynamic stability control", it also has a switch that I can turn it off with... which is used on a regular basis.

6. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I guess this would be a wish list item, I'd like to see the garage details (Tuning Screen I guess it's called now- it is a resource that's ignored so I don't even know what it's called!) fleshed out. In that area, there could be a history of the car, what kind of diff it has, what aids the real car uses etc. Lots of times we are given BHP/Torque etc but that info doesn't give a car LIFE. Use that area to generate a little passion in the car and tell us what we are driving.

7. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Stability is basically ABS. At leased on my real car.

It works by working each brake individually rather than together. So if your car snaps to the left the right side brakes will work to help correct the car. It also reduces engine power until control is regained.

8. argo0

argo0 Registered

By the way, it was the GTR wikipedia page that suggested it had Stability control not the excellent article I linked to. Sorry to mis inform!
    Well, I think I'll try again with Stability control on low later. I've done one on line race with it on. It did help and seemed to work as suggested in this thread whilst in no way feeling like it was on rails. It doesn't turn slow drivers into fast drivers and if it accurately simulates the Nissans stability system then it should be used if you're looking for the most accurate simulation. I can certainly race quickly and competitively without it.
    Thanks for the feedback so far. Hopefully, more community members will contribute including developers and modders. How do they approach this issue? And us realism whores? Surely we want to use what the real car uses. At the moment, as you've seen, my 'research' is a little too much like guess work. Which is at odds with a detail obsessed community.

9. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

From the rFactor1 Manual
    Active suspension?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2015