Driver nvlddmkm error with nvidia GTX 970

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Davide, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Davide

Davide Registered

Hello to all,

This is my first post here, my name is Davide, I am quite new with rFactor 2.

Few weeks back i assembled a new PC to run properly with this simulator.
    Since the beginning I have a random issue, the video freez for few seconds while the game is still running ( you can heard the sounds of the car running ), then ,or the game close automatically to the desktop giving a "rFactor 2 error" ,or you have to ctrl+alt+canc to close the application.
    Lokking in windows error log, it seems the error is due to the GTX 970, there is the driver nvlddmkm that stops to run.

I have other friends which have the same error using the same hardware.

The OS is windows 8.1 up to date, and with other game, even more powerfull in graphics request, I have no problem.

I would like to know if other rFactor users have the same isuue and if someone knows a solution, It is very frustrating, because I cannot run a in a championship with this issue.

May be also the ISI guys are looking for a solution in the next release.

Thank you very much to all and have a great day.

Davide

2. crz

crz Registered

Hmm I had an issue with these symptoms years ago with a laptop (also nvidia card in it). It started to show sometimes with rFactor but it became more frequently over time and then suddenly also with other games until it was unusable.

There was very little information about it on the internet on how to possibly fix it but there were quite a few people having the same issue with various nvidia cards. In my case it was persisting even after a complete OS reinstall and trying many different drivers so it seemed hardware related.

Try your luck and search for "nvidia nvlddmkm.sys crash" on google, you will see you're not alone. It can have various reasons, the message just says that your driver has crashed. There are also some possible fixes.

In my case the graphics card wasn't responding to the driver within a specified timeout which made the driver crash. You can disable the timeout in the registry so the driver doesn't crash but then your image will still freeze. The only cure I found was lowering the GPU and memory clock via nvidia inspector but mine was an old card and I had no warranty left so I was fine with that. Since your card is new I would test some possible fixes and if you end up like me, try to contact nvidia (or whoever will do the RMA) and get a new card. Many reported after they sent in their cards and got a new one, the issue was gone.

Good luck, this can be very frustrating

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
  3. Roby1977

Roby1977 Registered

Hi, my nane is Roberto, I can confirm what Davide just wrote. I have the same card and the same issue too. Like Davide already wrote this issue cames only using RF2, I'm playing Far Cry 4 with high level settings and never seen an issue, never.
    Change card type (with same chipset) it does not help unless you go for Ati card.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
  4. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

See gtx 970 thread I've just posted.

5. Roby1977

Roby1977 Registered

Thanks Davy. we all hope that this new driver release can can fix the issue. Abuot the possible recall of the cards I don't know, we'll see. In my opinion the card is ok because I did not have any issue with other games and applications. Let's try the driver fix.