Drive to the limit, look at telemetry data of Alien Sim Racer and real Pro driver

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Joe

Joe Registered

most wheels offer: damping, and Initia effects. i know they are fake, may not enen worth... but fact is they do offer. So a wheel will have three variables to simulate those two effects: 1) FFB from game, 2) wheel position from user, 3) wheel anglar speed and acc from user.

i like to know how those two effects have been implemented? (not related to in-game physics). thanks.

2. Joe

Joe Registered

i am asking how the wheel vendors to come up those two effects. if someone knows please reply. i knew how other two effects work, but not Damping and initia effects.

3. Joe

Joe Registered

thanks for the link. I see now that the HW solution using DD motor actually subject to their patents claims.
    But this finding still does not answer my question. there are 4 effects in FFB we are talking about. the Friction effect is a small constant force, the Spring effect is a small force proportional to the rotational angle. As I asked, what about the Damping effect and Inertia effect?

4. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I think I can answer regarding damping. If its the same one I am thinking of it's explained in the controller JSON. It lowers the update rate as some wheel drivers and wheel mechanisms such as the plastic gears in non belt driven wheels dont handle very well the high update rate of the undamped RF2 feedback. Its that rattling over kerbs, but with damping you dont get the high frequency feedback that signals your loss of grip.

5. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Definitely, it was very obvious track-side even in post turbo era cars. I distinctly remember him doing it in the Adelaide hairpin (last corner in Adelaide) in 1989. I always thought it was a style he learned due to driving a turbo car and maybe it was a technique that he had through slow corners. I was surprised to see him do it at the Parabolica at Monza a few years later which is obviously a lot quicker and a completely different profile.

6. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Who writes the tire/physics for rf2?

7. Minibull

Minibull Member

Uh...the software engineers in ISI? Or the car physics engineer guys at ISI? XD

8. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Well duh. One guy on the engine lefter over a year ago, have we ever got any input from the devs in these sort of threads/questions/rebuttals?

9. Minibull

Minibull Member

Haha, I wouldn't think so recently. Probably a wise move as they would be flooded with all sorts of messages ranging in tone...if you get what I mean