Dr Racing's Blog - Part 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by C3PO, Aug 28, 2015.

1. C3PO

C3PO Registered

2. C3PO

C3PO Registered

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Just goes to show, once again, how superior the isiMotor really is.
    Great stuff, good read.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Doesnt mean anything...

The behaviour of the vehicles when played near, at, and over their limits is still quite wrong in quite a few cases, even more-so when using RF1 as the base physics engine.

I really hope the author of that article isn't trying to imply that close comparisons of laptimes, corner speeds, RPMs, etc. automatically means a realistic behaving vehicle dynamics model.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2015
  5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Maybe take a look at his credentials before making such statements..?

6. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I think it's little difficult to judge the realism of car's behavior, because the experience of driving in sim is very different compared to real life.

I mean that even if car's physics in sim was perfectly realistic, the experience of driving would still be very different.

7. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

There is nothing wrong with the base physics as that uses rigid body dynamics and is relatively a very simple and solved problem compared to real-time tire models and very similar between rF1 and rF2 apart from the chassis flex.

Also according to his older articles he uses other vital performance metrics too.
    https://drracing.wordpress.com/2014/01/03/how-close-is-close-enough/
    https://drracing.wordpress.com/2015/07/20/the-joy-of-yaw-moment-diagrams/

Other teams also use stock rFactors for real race car development and driver training. See Here and Here and Here.

And here Max Verstappen's former F3 team using stock rFactor.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2015
  8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Associate0r, I know teams use it, I'd use it myself if I was in their position as well but please don't make it sound like a perfect god-given vehicle behaviour physics platform. And please don't make it sound like fully replicating vehicle dynamics is easy as pie other than the tyre model. There were 3 updates just in the most recent RF2 update alone regarding the core physics engine (1 had something to do with caster and suspension stuff if I recall correctly) so please don't dumb-down the complexity and amount of simulations and variables required for the "perfect" physics engine outside of tyres.

There are areas that Live for Speed and areas that Netkar Pro still do better than RF2 to this day, and quite frankly obliterate anything being run by the RF1 base.

If you've ever watched a racecar in your life (TV, real-life, videos, etc.) you should easily be able to notice some standout things regarding on-limit and over-the-limit behaviour that are fundamentally better under other physics engines.

Traces of corner speeds, g forces, damper movement, etc. don't mean much other than hose individual aspects are outputting numbers close to reality.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2015
  9. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

It is best vehicle dynamics platform available to consumers.

LFS and Netkar Pro have many fundamental physics flaws and aren't in the same league as rF1 let alone rF2. Don't confuse driving easy on the limit with realism, you have to measure it.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Lol it's not about driving easy on the limit, and I never said NKP and LFS are perfect - I prefer ISI engine as a whole over anything - but there are still areas where NKP and LFS beat RF2 and annihilate RF1.