Double shift issue

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by bwana, Aug 4, 2013.

1. bwana

bwana Registered

have a double shift issue with last few builds, both up and down shift, have changed plr file double shift detection (or what ever it is ) and tried from 0 through 5 no difference in any setting. wheel is a hyperstimulator .blows engine in some mods on double down shift. cant race seriuosly with this bugn , it doesnt occur in rf1 or any other race sim have I tried..

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Map keyboard keys to ShiftUp and ShiftDown functions and see if it also double shifts. If not then you get the answer - something's not right with your wheel.

3. bwana

bwana Registered

Thats not really going to help, race rf1 weekly and drive daily and never a issue currently, thanks for reply though

4. bwana

bwana Registered

to be sure just tried with stick shift and same issue as paddles

5. Marek Lesniak

Then that's weird. It should not self shift just like that. Maybe you accidentally have enabled some aids?

Just for the record, please do the same test but with unplugged wheel/shifter/pedals (whatever controllers you have) and check up and downshifts just on the keyboard.

6. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

bwana- LesiU is saying to try using the keyboard without the wheel or any peripheral plugged in so to isolate the problem as either a GAME problem or a CONTROLLER problem. This is not a specifically known rFactor2 game issue, which leads us to believe that the issue is with your setup.

So disconnect the peripherals, use keyboard and see if the problem persists.

7. bwana

bwana Registered

Thanks guys , Im getting where your coming from but if RF1 and GTL works fine with my controller and RF2 doesn't then I can only conclude that RF2 is the issue?? will try with keyboard only when I get home from work.. A reason that its not seen as a specifically rf2 issue may be due to the relative rarity of the controller ( hyperstimulator ) compared to other devices?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's just about eliminating a variable.

If the "Repeat Shifts" option doesn't help, and the aids aren't an issue (I don't think they should be, because there is a default half-second delay between a manual shift and an automatic one, or vice-versa), something obviously isn't right. At the same time if this were just an rF2 bug it would surely be happening to other people, but I think no one else has reported it (nothing that hasn't been fixed by Repeat Shifts, anyway, suggesting a controller issue).

Whether or not it happens with keyboard will help point you in the right direction for where to look next. Something obviously isn't right, and likely it's associated with rF2 but it's a matter of finding out what.

9. bwana

bwana Registered

Think your right Lazza but im not the only one, there was another poster that had same issue but didn't have the same wheel. Cant find that post now dang it.Thanks for the input

10. bwana

bwana Registered

[
    Next thing to try I guess

11. Marek Lesniak

If the above will be the solution for you, then you have a problem with your controller (its switches/buttons you use for shifting, to be precise). But...let's try with the keyboard first :)

12. datanode

datanode Registered

I have had this issue and assumed it was my wheel. I have a fanatec gt3 rs v2.

Replaced the pcb and thought the problem has gone. It seemed to, but has happened a couple of times still since. But not as often.

So I still blamed a faulty button. But find it curious that it has happened a couple of times since and someone else could be seeing the same thing. Happened since 240 build for me, but who knows if this is helpful or not.

Effectively I believe my problem was mostly wheel hardware as expected.

I just wonder if there is something slightly up with this though.

13. bwana

bwana Registered

Id imagine the programme detecting controler comands would be similiar in RF1 and RF2?? and I have never had the issue with RF1 which leads me to think that its an RF2 issue?? makes sence to me.. when I get time will try all examples mentioned above . Thanks

14. bwana

bwana Registered

Deleting and recreating a new player ini file has fixed the issue...

Thanks for all your input , had the same issue with spotter as well ,would never work in game until I deleted ini file , re started game and then edited newly created ini file now working..

15. datanode

datanode Registered

That is interesting,

I was going to say this morning I wonder if a parameter has changed that affects this issue.

I presume you didn't just rename it let it recreate it and diff the files to see if there is anything new or wildly different?

Glad you sorted it! I think with me it was a tolerance issue, yes my button my have been detecting double press, but only in rf2 as it was more sensitive to it.

Now I have a brand new button it is better but every now and then still an issue. What you have done in fixing this seems to suggest a genuine change around the shifting parameters or new parameters ?

16. bwana

bwana Registered

Im no pc guru., I simply did as the quoted post above suggested , deleted ini and the game replaced upon restart. Then set then changed this line ' Repeat Shifts="3" // 0 = no repeat shift detection, 1 = detect and eliminate accidental repeat shifts within 100ms, 2 = 150ms, 3 = 200ms, 4 = 250ms, 5 = prevent shifting again' I startde with 1 but had to go to setting 3 for it to work which i guess indicates a controler sensitivity issue , Having said that my issue may have been twofold.

17. Marek Lesniak

That's why me and Lazza asked to do tests just with the keyboard (and no other controllers connected).. but Lazza has already explained the reason standing behind such test :)

18. bwana

bwana Registered

I was going to do as you and Lazza suggested LesiU but to me the ini file made more sence due to rf1 working fine.there is obviously different toleances for controler actions detected by rf2 and thats why they have the 'repeat shift' options .

19. Marek Lesniak

Yes, but as you remember, you said the problem is with rF 2 because "in all other sims is OK".
    Well, the true problem might be with your controller and we want to check that out. Because if it is indeed something with your controller, maybe it will be better to try solve it now (swap malfunctioning buttons to some new ones), before you won't be able to change gears at all... but it's up to you now.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

rF1 has the same options. I had to switch it on when I got my G25 (I think), because for whatever reason it was occasionally generating multiple presses where the old MOMO wasn't. I'm not sure if my G27 is the same (quite likely I've stuck with the same .PLR for pretty much the whole time in rF1, and haven't done all that much driving in rF2).

I think it's true to say rF/2 has a lower built-in tolerance. A lot of other games just have such a setting there already, so it's never an issue.

Considering the G25 I speak of was brand new, and exhibited that issue immediately, and continued to work fine for years, I personally wouldn't have any concerns about the controller itself although you never know. Seems strange that your issue persisted even with a sequential (?) shifter though, for me it was a particular paddle that tended to 'bounce' and cause multiple presses. Something must have been pretty screwy with your PLR.

Did you ever assign gearshifts to keys and try that?