Does SLI work for you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oHOWEo, Jul 3, 2015.

1. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

I saw a note on SLI improvements in the latest build, just wondering what how your experiences worked out.

My 970 SLI hovers around 85fps but drops often and for quite a while to 35fps.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yes, single GPU comparison would be great.

I also wonder if the original style multiview system and the new style affect SLI scaling (or framerates in general) differently...

SLI was previously crippled very badly by the higher the two reflection settings were set. SLI results with both reflection settings at full (in-fact, everything at full) are definitely welcome :)

3. delapecs

delapecs Registered

i3770k + SLI GTX 770 4 Gb OC + Nvidia 353.06 here:
    In previously version I can play with all on HIGH, excepts Shadows OFF and Road Reflection OFF and Environment reflection LOW @180fps.
    With new version I can play with all FULL with Shadows High and Blur on Optimal at 180 fps !! with both GPU at 80% power aprox. (enough room for stress). The graphics frame time is 5.5ms, fairly estable.
    Great experience on a Benq lightboost monitor. This is my first SLI experience, and before the new update i think that I screwed buying a second graphics card, but not now. You can move the graphics quality one notch and you see a little less performance but in a estable and controlable way.
    Sorry for my english:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2015
  4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Any single GPU comparisons?

5. Flex

Flex Registered

SLI is broken for me on 982,fps -50% in comparison with the former build.

6. dsuspense

dsuspense Registered

Nvidia 353.06 drivers, nVidia GT 650M SLI, about 65-130 FPS with SLI, used Monaco as my test track since its the most taxing on my system...
    If I used single card I get 60-80 FPS.

However on Atlanta and Silverstone, I am not getting any improvement with SLI, both hover around 50 FPS no matter whether I use single card or SLI configuration.

Other tracks I am getting good FPS, like Sebring I am getting 75-120 FPS with SLI.

Can't believe Atlanta and Silverstone are that taxing on the graphics cards.
    Very strange.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2015
  7. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Honestly I don't know what else can I think about rF2 GFX. In some tracks SLI works fine (Sebring), in others I get a stutter fest when I'm among other cars (Mills). In other hand, graphics when raining are extremely GPU demanding in the 982b, I get horrible 40 FPS in a specific corner on Mills (SLI or not), making undriveable. In this same track, with no rain, the FPS is indicating 100+ but it's not fluid at all. The thing is, I can drive 40 FPS in pCars (for example), but I can't drive 40 FPS in rF2.

I have a quite expensive setup (2 x 980 GTX) and I cannot drive in all race scenarios. Of course some guys and their "benchmarks" will tell you 1000 FPS with a 280 GTX but I really don't care, race alone in the track, without clouds and rain means nothing. And I'm not very excited to fire more a bunch of money in a 980 Ti because I know it'll be not enough. Never it's enough, it doesn't matter the amount of money I put in it.

So that's it, really downhearted with rF2 graphics and performance when I try race with several AIs or try different weather conditions.

8. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

[​IMG]

Just tell me how in Earth two 980 GTX can render these frugal graphics at miserable 31 FPS? (disabling or enabling SLI does nothing).

9. rsmith

rsmith Registered

Same issues; 2x980 GTX's, 3 ASUS ROG-Swifts, 5930 on an ASUS Rampage V, 32G of ram. Before version 982 I would get around 30 (or lower) fps on most courses under SLI. iRacing, Assetto and PCars show a consistent 60 or higher. BTW I can't even get version 982 to run any tracks without a terminal black screen and an ultimate reboot.

Could be my newbie usage, using nVidia Surround to combine the monitors when I want to race, sounds like there are other ways to implement 3 monitors. Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated.

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Why whinge about it for 4 years hoping it gets better.

Adjust your life buy the best single GPU and be done with it.

GTX980 31 fps ? lol you got to be tripping lower your settings man.

ffs I can run that track easy with a bloody GTX670 lol ;)

11. Flex

Flex Registered

12. stonec

stonec Registered

Have you tried different SLI bits? Probably needless to mention, but you can surely get playable FPS on that GPU without compromising graphics much by lowering some settings. Both reflections to Low will spare you some FPS without any degrade in reflection quality (only affects reflection update rate). Same with shadow blur etc, there are plenty of lower settings without notable decrease in quality.

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+100

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

First of all, I'd seriously try to raise settings in all your sims so that your minimum fps (other than the start) is never less than 90.

If not using G-Sync (for absolute lowest input lag although G-Sync's hit on input lag is very small and respectable indeed), I'd aim for a monitor refresh rate of either 100, 120, or 144 Hz (whichever framerate your system can consistently run no less than, higher is better), and have your max framerate limited to that same number (set the max framerate limit in your RF2 player.json file, not another program) and VSync off.

If using G-Sync then set your monitor's to their max refresh rate (probably 144 Hz in your case) and set RF2's max framerate (again, in your player.json file, not another program) to around 135 or 138 or something. Regular VSync (tons of input lag) will become enabled during GSync usage once you get to 144 fps or close to it (not sure exactly) so you definitely want to avoid that and therefore set RF2's max framerate to 137 or so.

Set pre-rendered frames to 1 in the Nvidia control panel's game specific profile (although this may not take affect with SLI but I still advise to set it just in case).

Set shadows from full to high.

Set shadow blur from quality or optimal to fast.

Set circuit detail from full to high.

Set AF from 16x to 8x.

Set both reflection settings from high to low.

You should hardly notice any image quality decrease with those settings.

You must go into your rFactor 2 config file and set "subviewparams" to 0. That should fix your black screen. When it's set to "0", you choose your FOV (like in single screen mode). When it's set to "1", you enter in the measurements of your screens into the config file (it'll be added in the game's UI in a future update).

With a setup like that, sell those 980s and get dual 980Tis or at-least a single 980Ti ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
  15. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Nope - I wouldn't classify 10FPS improvement on 150FPS "working".

I just sold both cards and got a 970 instead, much less hassle and waiting for it to be SLI opsimised one day. Some people told me I'm lucky that I got an FPS increase as they had reduced performance compared to single GPU.

16. dsuspense

dsuspense Registered

AFR2 works well for me in Game Stock Car Extreme.
    Will try in rF2 again.

Tried and I get better results with the default SLI mode as opposed to AFR2.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
  17. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Hi Durge, maybe you want to do a quick benchmark for me.

Track: Mills Metropark D Loop
    Cars: whatever, let's say, 30 GT3 Camaros.
    Weather: Overcast & Raining (95% Chance should do)
    Start from the back of the grid

All maxed except Opponents (high).

If your lower FPS in the first one or two laps be +31 FPS (as the picture I uploaded) I'll be convinced there's something very wrong with my hardware.

Other who want run this test would be my guest, appreciated.

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Remember, number of PCI-e lanes available can make a significant differences in overall performance in rf2. Therefore may or may not give you the impression SLI is not working or not working well when in fact it's your cpu+mobo combo that is crippling your gpu's performances in rf2.

19. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Resolution? I'll try it too with my 780 Ti.

I'm 200% sure that a 980 Ti is a best deal than yours 980 SLI. The Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6 GB for example WITHOUT overclock its 49% faster than one GTX 980.

People must understand that Dual GPU its only good to benchmarks... Even if you increase 50/60% the average fps your minimum fps will increase only 20/30% in a good scenary and it only work well in some games... Usually the ones used in reviews...

In your case I would sell the two 980 and buy the top 980 Ti available on the market... that would be the wise choice ;)

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Na man, SLI/Crossfire works great in many games.

SLI works great for me in RF2, SCE, RF1, FT, etc. - in Nvidia 3D Vision mode that is ;)

I screwed myself over and sold my 780 Tis, now I'm stuck with the slower 970. Anyways, I should be getting a second 970 (ASUS Strix OC) in a day or so to accompany my Gigabyte G1. I'll run benchmarks if people want. I have an X99 system capable of the full 32x (16x each) PCI-E 3.0 lanes the GPUs are capable of, plus triple screens (1080p), plus 3D, so I'll do tests for everyone. Rsmith also has enough PCI-E lanes and triples (1440p), maybe he can do some tests as-well.