Does RFACTOR model flat-spots?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by dosequis56, Mar 28, 2023.

1. dosequis56

dosequis56 Registered

I ran a 12 lapper with 2x tire wear in an F1 car at Spa. On lap 9. my FFB wheel started shaking the entire table. I pitted to change tires. When I ran replay analyzer on the race, my tires had 70% life left and had good wear balance front-to-back. Definitely had some lock ups to not run into AI cars into some corners. So I was wondering if rfactor will allow a tire to be flat spotted.

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Yes.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just to expand a little on the above answer: it models tyre wear around the whole tyre. So if you lock up you'll wear that part of the tyre more, and if it's quite a long lockup at enough load you'll wear enough rubber down to create a flat spot. This will come through the suspension and steering geometry to your wheel's FFB, both from the variation in effective tyre radius as the flatspot passes and the unbalanced nature of the wheel (weight) as it spins.

I explain the detail to separate it from a simple "you've locked up, now you have a flatspot" approach a game could take instead. (let's say if you still had a rubber blob rF1 tyre model, where the tyre as a whole has a wear percentage, you'd need to 'detect' and fake flatspots in that way). In rF2 the current condition of the tyre is much more detailed, and allows for natural effects like flatspot vibrations)

davehenrie, Ricardo Diz and mixer61 like this.
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Also there is an offline work around to cure the problem. But the best solution is to adjust your brake pedal pressure and employ fewer panic braking events.

5. dosequis56

dosequis56 Registered

Thanks for the info. I suspect the flat spot is exaggerated by tire wear x2 which I was using to compare my tire wear to AI tire wear. So it is likely the case that sliding a tire has to be avoided more with x2 tire wear. I think it is good that rfactor supports this, very cool.

6. dosequis56

dosequis56 Registered

Just curious, what is the workaround?

7. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Turning off tirewear in the menu.

8. redapg

redapg Registered

@dosequis56 I also often suffer from Steering Wheel Shake, caused by Flat Spots, because i have 0 Sense of when the Tires start to lock up.
    What helps me, is to set the smoothing of the FFB to ~15.

9. sg333

sg333 Registered

Does turning off tire wear affect the players tires, AI tires, or both?

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Should do both, same as turning off fuel use (or accelerating it etc) should do the same both for the player and for AI.

sg333 likes this.