Does rFactor 2 replace rFactor Pro aswell?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, May 6, 2014.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Usually how different a product seems from rf1 depends whether the executable or the whole engine is licensed. If they license the exe, they are just putting 2014 quality content in and rebranding rf1.

If they ask for specific components, they can. Whole engine, they can.

Can't comment specifically on simbins level of options. :)

Sent using Tapatalk

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Got it, I'm guessing that Simbin licensed the entire engine (hence they modified it) whereas others like the Turismo Careterra guys, Reiza, 2Pez, the ARCA Simracing guys (The SimFactory?), etc. just licensed the exe. This is all just guessing/speculation on my part.

3. Joe

Joe Registered

Is any company going to license rF2 for their develop own game? or your rF2 new tire model?

thanks,

Joe

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Good question Joe.

5. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

When i first saw the structure of rF2 and that content could be encrypted, I wondered if this was the end of ISI licensing their game engine. It's of course obvious that it is moddable being as rF has always been a virtual OS for simracing, but it also seems to me that rF2 was designed from the outset to allow a game developers/vendors to create and market protected and branded add on games for rF2. There would be no need for developers to license the engine, after all, for every sale of an add on game, there is a customer for ISI's rFactor2. If the vision was to make ISI rFactor2 the Microsoft Windows of simracing, it would surprise me not one bit.

6. 88mphTim

We're not offering it yet.

7. Joe

Joe Registered

Tim:

Thanks for reply. Number of games or Cars do not mean too much to me. After all, we all have limit time in our life and can drive only limit cars. I only spend my time on the best sim cars. You guys did absolutely great job! rF2 cars are the best of all, IMHO:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrLl2tANvVg

Here is suggestion I have: licensing-out is one way, but why not promote your "rF2 Pro" to general market with yearly release schedule? I personally do not mind pay $30 a year for your "rF2 Pro" line which contains more and great mods and new cars. The extra fund to provide a possibility of hiring one or two more engineers to do the job. Just a thought.

8. 88mphTim

Probable you don't really understand what rF Pro is(n't). You wouldn't be able to do things with it you probably are assuming. Unless you have a team of software engineers and such at your house. I've already stated the licensing limitations, which applies to everything.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

When I was at Brands for the BTCC first round there was a chap with 5 (I think) PCs setup with what he said was rFactorPro, we briefly chatted about RF2 before I ran away for a beer! Was gonna go back for a race and chat to him more but the bar was more tempting as the barmaids were FIT!

10. 88mphTim

Yeah, that would have been a lie. If you would like to pass his info to me next time, I'd be happy to explain it to him. :)

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ironically might be going to the blancpain race there soon so if he's there again I'll take a closer look!

12. 88mphTim

Possible he was lied to. I've had cockpit builders selling with rF1 bundled, telling people it's Pro.

13. Joe

Joe Registered

I think we miss-understood here. I did not mean the "rF1 Pro", the term of "rF2 Pro" I used is confused. Lets say "rF2 gold". Frankly, you sold rF2 is too cheap IMO, $40 for life updates. rF2 is too good to sell at the price for life.
    Of course you may license out to other venders, and open up for other modders. But for end-user, like me, this is purely zero-summation games. In order to get more rF2 like-car, I either spend $ on other vender's game (used your engine, etc.) or mess around with 3rd party's mods (which I do not like to do --- waste my time and money). Rather, why cannot you sell your "rF2 gold" product. The fund you collect to develop the "rF2 Gold". All I said is that you miss a product between rF2 and rF Pro.
    You priced your rF2 product at level of Forza5 or GT6, though.
    what is the "rF2 Gold"? Simple, more cars and better cars, but charge yearly fee! If you do not charge for, then you will not get more & better cars for sure. Then I am NOT happy! College 101 capital market class!

14. 88mphTim

I can understand that reasoning. However, a lot of people will pay more than $43.99 for rF2, if they want to race online. $43.99 would only allow that for 1 year. Second year onwards would require $12 per year to race online.

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I cannot wait for when the rF2 engine becomes more updated, polished and overall complete and other companies start licensing the engine/exe for their own full games. Damnnnnn. Look at all the Simbin games, Reiza, etc. etc. Just imagine what can be done when others start basing their sims/games on a future, updated version of the rF2 engine.

16. 88mphTim

Imagine life since 2004 without them all, or rF1.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

OMG I don't even want to imagine that lol. The ISI engine is my fave in terms of pure gameplay/vehicle dynamics/physics, and as of rF2, FFB as well.

The first time I played the rFactor 1 Skip Barber cars just after I came home from being away for almost a year while racing "school" F2000s, I was blown away by the vehicle behaviour. This amazingly positive and seemingly accurate impression to what I had just finished spending about a year doing in real-life, is pretty much what sealed the deal for me forever when it came to ISI and simulations.

18. noroardanto

noroardanto Registered

Only professional race teams and F1 teams can use rF Pro so you will probably need a significantly more than $30 a year :) if not millions of it

19. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

You need to be a manufacturer

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I don't think this is required.