Documenting the rf2 replay file (.vcr) format

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by lordp, Sep 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. lordp

lordp Registered

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been documenting the rFactor2 replay file after being curious and finding Gerald Jacobson's wiki page. I've figured out a fair bit of extra stuff since, but I'm definitely running out of ideas, and figured asking here for help might be a good option.

What I've discovered so far, I've put on a github pages site here. I will update it if/when I figure out more, but if you want to contribute, the repository is here (create a fork, make your changes and send me a pull request).

SRGP and Seven Smiles like this.
  2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

For us mere mortals who only know that a piece of string is this long......................... +/-.
    and an integer sounds like something that would upset, (sorry, offend is their catchcry) all the people who are offended if they aren't offended, what is the purpose of this body of work?

3. lordp

lordp Registered

It's mostly to sate my curiosity, but I'm also hoping that this helps others or gives them ideas for future applications. Gerald Jacobson's rf2ReplayOffice is one in particular that I'm interested in improving, but he seems to have disappeared.

ADSTA likes this.
  4. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

I have always thought that a good app would be a replay to Motec converter... I will take a look later tonight and see if I can help you

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You would only get very rough and basic telemetry from a replay, I can see how it would have some use as it can be easier/better to compare on a graph rather than merging replays (though this is also very useful in its way).

6. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

Yeah, that's what I would use it for, even if the sampling rate is not that high, I think it can be used to generate some good comparisons in terms of driver input and speed/position vs time.

7. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I've been trying out your Python file today and making some small enhancements. I forked the repository, nothing to pull back yet.

8. Vinicius Ranieri

Vinicius Ranieri Registered

Does anyone got more information? I did a program to analyze the offtrack events similar to replay office, I would like to add the DRS use but I could't figure it out