Do you like the new rfmod / rfcmp / vmod system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GrimDad, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Do you like the new rfmod / rfcmp / vmod system

1. Yes it is much better

43 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. No I prefer the old rf1 way

56 vote(s)
    46.3%
  3. Don't care either works for me

22 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Not a thread to moan about or defend this topic just simple vote to see the result.

2. osella

osella Registered

This thread will need a few shameless bumps though, else many voters will miss it.

*bump*

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

47%

YOU LOSE

:p ........jk jk

4. osella

osella Registered

Actually, "dont care" can be counted together with positive votes.. so it's 12:6, damn ;)

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

6. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

While I like the .rfmod and .rfcmp parts of the new system, I can't stand the vmod concept. It feels like a recipe for disaster if it makes it into the first public release. (=No clear voting option in my case)

1 person likes this.
  7. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Yeah, let me know how that works out for you LOL

8. tjc

tjc Registered

I lol`d... :D

9. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I would like another alternative, just no. It must be a better solution.

10. ethone

ethone Registered

I answer... neither of the three, since you proposed a false dichotomy between what we got and rF1. A better system than either of them is also a possibility, but not reflected in your poll.

11. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I think the same. After some time I got to grips with it (?) but I see many newcomers having the same old questions.
    I hope there was a simpler solution, right now its getting near to impossible some times, mods keep asking for tracks that are far ago replaced.

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

My point nikos people need to keep their mods up to date.
    Or if they rather load everything that is their right.
    Sooner or later everyone will choose what they like and where they want to race.
    I see it as a non issue for users.

BUT ...I would rather have a poll for modders only as honestly theirs is the only opinion matters to me. ;)

Not being disrespectful to users..........

13. PMC

PMC Registered

'cough cough' admin need to understand it also :rolleyes:

14. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Since almost 58% like it or don't care, seem they got it mostly right.

15. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Unfortunately this poll and many others in general tend to appeal to the "hater" in all of us. What I mean is that the question could also be posed as: "Do you like the new rfmod / rfcmp / vmod system? - or do you prefer the imaginary "better" way that you have made up in your head, that is not subject to any type of reality or testing, even though you have no specific experience designing, coding and building such a system?" Using this mentality, most are likely to select "I like the old way", or simply make a terse post regarding no 4th option describing their exact idea.

I felt very much alone in supporting ISI on their current system in the very early days of this forum - in fact there was so much vitriol that I was personally attacked by quite a few and blocked for having that position. Questioning whether the people posting actually knew where this whole system was going, and what was planned (since they were not ISI themselves) just made them madder. Many haters claimed it would be the death of rFactor2 and modding in general - as opposed to a more moderate position. Turns out I was right - it isn't the end of the world, and the reasons for their particular choice have become more apparent as time has worn on. I think it will become even simpler and more straightforward nearer to gold release, once content matures and everyone has become used to adopting the new system. Whichever way, hating on it achieves nothing. Learning it at least allows you to optimise the way you interact with it. If you really are such an elite opinion on all things coding and network related, then obviously you can create your own tools and batches to automate and smooth out your interactions with it.

Because that is what any actual coder worth their salt actually does.

EDIT: Is it just me, or does it seem like the latest update is way behind? For some reason I had the opinion that there would be two updates in quick succession. I really am growing tired of waiting months for what are basically mini-updates. I have been a rF2 beta tester for almost 12 months, and the actual game itself has not really progressed very much (discounting content, that is).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
  16. PMC

PMC Registered

Yes it seems all the issues that people are talking of are hyperthetical or ignorance,,ignorence is bliss

17. ORA-Quasi

ORA-Quasi Registered

I've voted 'YES', but only so far as I like the implementation of mods and tracks in such a way. I am 100% against the limiting of tracks to certain cars...whether or not VMODS are possible is beside the point.

18. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Shameless bump ;)

Thank you all for voting so far & your comments.

Apologies to those who expressed the lack of options....sorry!

19. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

bump.....Sorry Tim :rolleyes:

20. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I don't care for it much on the server side as far as creating races. It should be a system where you create a race on the server side and that creates a mod. The mod (small version) everyone downloads to get in the race. If someone is missing content then when they download the mod the mod should hook into the server for content missing and then have that client download what they need. Gets rid of alot of headaches that way if you ask me.