Do modders ever test their own mods?

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by Nielsen, Jun 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

I have just installed the Lotus 98T car/mod.
    And Im glad I was introduced to rFactor 2´s tire model through the FR3.5 mod.
    Because while the FR3.5 feels very predictable and "realistic" the same cannot be said about the L98T car.
    But if we now play the game that the difference in the 2 cars behaviour is some kind of reflection of the difference of the 2 cars in RL then there is an annoing bug in the setup menu of the L98T car.
    But what is worse there is a complete disqualifying bug in the tire behaviour of the car.

First the setup bug.
    Its possible to use 2 tire compounds. Soft and Super Soft.
    But if you select Super Soft then rF2 crashes.

Ok I can live with that.
    But if you test the car on as example the Monaco2013 track then the car runs acceptable on the outlap + 11 laps.
    But suddenly on lap 12 all reargrip disappear.
    Completely:rolleyes:

It doesnt matter if you use min or max tire pressure(130 or 180 kpa)
    And since I cannot find any threads about this then my conclusion is that neither the modders themselves or anybody else have driven the rFactor 2 Lotus 98T car more than about 5-10 laps.

Note: If you want to test it out then grab this super soft setup and start the car.:cool:
    And when you have restarted rFactor then change the compound to Soft and try to run more than 11 laps to check what happens on lap 12.
    It feels like some kind of switch is activated. Now you can drive - now you cant:confused:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29587629/2524-00-2200-45-354-17-12-1243ss.svm

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

While the second half of your post was constructive. You should probably reel in your attitude the first part. The mood makers work hard to provide you these mods FOR FREE. Remember that when you "call out" these mod devs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

3. TheGrunt

TheGrunt Registered

This. Trashing mod makers, who give us something for free is just obnoxious IMO. Constructive criticism and feedback is always OK, but OP should definitely check his attitude.

Second, what or who's mod is this? I know that there are several hastily ported rF1 mods (usually without original modder's permission or any real effort) or similar quality rips from other simulators, which both usually aren't up to the normal rF2 standards. If you did so, sorry, it most likely is difficult to reach the "modder". If no, you should specify the modder/group who created the mod and give feedback. In a civil manner, of course.

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

There is a 99T made by ASRFormula.com ? It's a WIP at the moment, I can't remember how far from 1.0.

5. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

I think the better approach to this would be to contact a mod maker privately. I mean who really likes to be pulled up on stage to have your faults pointed out to the crowd?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think the answer is: Yes.

Next!

7. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Yes I admit it was terrible of me to create that sarcastic meant headline.
    And it was even more terrible of me to conclude that the modder of this car could not have tested the car for more than 5-10 laps.
    Because else he/they would have experienced that the car goes completely bullocks on lap 12 (on Monaco2013).
    Terrible terrible of me.

But readers who are accustomed to read a text with a bit more depth than 100% positive chattering will know that if you use a rhetoric question as a start then it is not ment to be perceived 100% literally.
    Like when a journalist ask: Do presidential candidates allways have to be bullying others? And then use Donald Trump and a certain episode as an example.
    Then its only readers who cannot understand normal enterpretation of such kind of questions who angrily intervene with: You are not allowed to say that all presidential candidates allways are bullying others. Shame on you.:rolleyes:

By the way. I downloaded this presumably untested car from the following link.
    And because the file are named Lotus-98T_v100.rfcmp I did conclude that the car is in some kind of finished v.1.00 status.
    Have a nice day:eek:

http://radex.hu/public/alex/rf2banner/rfactor2files.php?melyik=cars-reader.php

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The entire thread is pointless because the state of a mod is up to the modder; what is the best outcome from posting about this here? What are you looking to achieve?

The only potential outcome I can see is people confirming your findings, and then someone finds the modder and asks if there'll be an update to address the issues. Maybe start there instead.

*You could say my answer was rhetorical, if you'll excuse the use of that word in that manner.

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

A little clue... If someone puts "unknown" under the author, it may mean the mod has just be deployed into the wild and no one wants credit or wants contacted about it. It also may have some "illegal" origins.

10. guod

guod Registered

Now that makes this thread unique - the Lotus 98T and Trump in the same discussion about rF2 modding. :) Not being snotty just trying add a bit of levity.

Testing... every time a file is touched it can affect something already corrected elsewhere... or break it. Then figure in during testing on Monday you check something and it works. Then you test something else and it is broken, and it breaks what worked on Monday. But you already checked that throughly and what got fixed on Tuesday shouldn't have any impact on what you tested that worked well on Monday. Then in the meantime a new Build releases which breaks what you did last Friday. :)

More I see of modding this stuff the more I'm amazed it works at all.

Sctuff happens.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just to be totally transparent here: a mod having a version of 1.00 doesn't mean it's finished, and doesn't even mean it's released. I'm not familiar with the site given, but it looks to just be a collection of 'found' mods, which could have been sourced from anywhere. I half expected to find my own league's mod on there (because one was taken and run by a 'new member' who then disappeared; only knew about it because they wanted to make use of a custom plugin and that plugin checked some details of the current mod before working - so they had to keep using our name, which was amusing).

The tyre behaviour sounds like the wear rate is badly exaggerated, I think rF2 doesn't do tyre blowouts when wear reaches 100% so instead they probably just give up grip completely. That combined with one compound not working at all very much suggests an unfinished mod (possibly even just a test mod, by someone having an early go at modding) which probably shouldn't be listed anywhere. If we assume the person making it didn't intend for it to be released, then you should be asking the person who put it up for download why they didn't test it before listing it. And then the legalities of putting it up (without knowing the original source of the modded content etc) could be questioned as well.

Anyway, if you don't even know who made a mod, you shouldn't have any expectations on how complete it will be. But: even if you see a mod released, at the source, if you find major problems with it posting a thread here complaining about it still wouldn't be the right thing to do. Let the modder know, see if they fix it, and if they don't then either put up with the problems or stop using it. If it's a (rare) paid mod then you would have more reason to complain, but even then you can only do that if the condition of the mod doesn't match the promises made prior to the purchase.

12. machine

machine Registered

I build ovals. I drive hundreds of laps on my tracks before they are released. I try to test as much as I can. But I can't test everything, and sometimes there are bugs. That's why games have beta testers. To find the bugs missed by the creators. So give FEEDBACK to those who create.

13. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

I use many times my 9 years old son as a beta tester (in addition of team and myself). He has great ability to find incredible collision bugs, which I never though could even exist... :D

14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

While not a real modder, I did participate in a few large projects for other sims. Getting accurate TIMELY feedback can be a very trying experience. I can drive the car for hours and never approach the limits of the tire, but a fast simmer can reach that point immediately. I spent several months trying to just get people to test how long a soft tire would last vs a medium vs a hard. I only got a couple of consistent testers and none ever truly gave me what I was asking for. So the fact YOU can drive the rear tires off, doesn't mean the modder ever saw that.
    Now you could volunteer your driving services to test for the modder, perhaps you will help improve the product.

15. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

I understand what you are saying - but you dont have to be an expert to be able to drive 12 laps to test it out.
    And conserning the tire type bug - then...

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

As usual I think things are being taken out of context here; the mod sounds like a 5 minute job someone did, maybe their first time playing with files, they put it together and it worked, they did a few laps and it seemed alright, and then... well who knows if they released it or what.

The first post here was probably more work than the mod.

17. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Why are you guys bothering with him ? He decided to bash modders no matter what you say.
    But at least, the modders he craps on are doing something useful for the community contrary to the OP who is shining by his uselessness. Unless whining and being an ass is useful in here :)

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Why are you making this general? He's not bashing 'modders', he's bashing a mod which sounds like it was never meant for release, and probably wasn't released. He's wrong for thinking it's somehow meant to be great for hours of play and at the same level as other mods, but people posting here defending modders aren't reading the thread properly. How's that useful?

19. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

"Do modders ever test their own mods?" - that IS very generalizing.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sure, but the entire post is about one mod.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.