Do AI Use Different Boost Settings to Save Fuel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ho3n3r, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

I want to do offline practice races, but the mod I am gonna use has a limited fuel tank(133 litres). Now, at full boost, the usage will exceed 133 litres at 100% distance by far. The point of the boost settings, is to emulate fuel saving as in some real racing formulas.

But would AI do this, or would they just run out of fuel by using the same boost setting all the time? I don't want to use a boost setting that will last the whole race, because then it won't imitate actual league racing - it would be a bunch of cars going the same speed all race, as opposed to me going faster and slower as I change boost setting.

So, does anyone know if this is happening?

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

AI doesn´t change anything by default.
    Only thing you can do is assign another setup to them, with a boost setting (fixed) that comes most close to yours.

3. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Thanks. As stated above, I would really like NOT to do that. So I guess the AI lack a bit of the I part.

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

You can say that if you want, yes.
    But changing this would mean that there has to be a code/calculation that generates the "best" setup for every AI on every track.
    What is horribly complicated, difficult and CPU-demanding and thatfor is something we wont see in any sim for the next decades (I guess).

Maybe if developers open just a few fundamental settings for AI, like wing-settings and gears then it´s possible. But I doubt.

5. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Yeah, it really comes down to that with an open sim this complicated it's just not possible. The game would somehow have to analyse all of the track's characteristics, correctly interpret what these would do to each car in every aspect for every setting, balance these and even be able to adjust these settings on the fly. There's no racing game that does this, any game you've played that has such features has setups hand-picked and hard coded for each track.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Lower race distance or add a pit stop ?

Problem I have taking Ai races serious in most sims is their Qual vs Race pace.

They do it much like real world I guess but the problem with that is that a decent sim pilot can do qual laps any session.

Sort of defeats the whole purpose., if you set Ai so you qualify up the grid you will inevitably leave them behind in the race.

Also the random performance of Ai pit stops spoils can spoil a race in a heartbeat

For me the best Ai races are sprints, start at the back and chase.
    Tune Ai so they too fast in practice and let them come back to you in Race.

;)

7. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

The point is to practice the race length I'd be doing in the league, but thanks. And no refuelling. Also, no quali, I usually start at the back of the grid, to mimic the race conditions I'll be having.