DLC review - beginner - Reiza Pack

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by justposted, Nov 18, 2020.

1. justposted

justposted Registered

TL;DR What Reiza is offering here is a broad sweep across the sim racing spectrum. From slow cars and winding tracks to zippy prototypes at Imola It's a useful combination to add into rFactor, giving you the range of experiences that allow you to get the most out of those outstanding rFactor physics. Imola and the MetalMoro AJR are the stand-out items, for me.

Introduction
    Refer to my Nurburgring Endurance review for my intro and system specs. My GT3 Pack and Track Expansion Pack reviews and performance discussion may also be of interest.

This is my early impression of the Reiza Pack which was recently 50% off (hopefully will be again soon) and therefore this review might be of particular interest to potential buyers. I have about two hours on each track and an hour in each car at the moment, all against 30AI using whichever car I was driving and using default set-ups with FFB at 100% on my G920 (G29).

DLC Contents: 4 tracks (Imola, Virginia International Raceway/VIR, Guapore, Ibarra); 6 cars (Puma P052, Puma GTE, Formula Vee, MCR Sports 2000, MetalMoro MR18, MetalMoro AJR)
    Cost: about £18/$24USD (recently 50% off that in sale)

Graphics and performance
    Load times and VRAM are based on an 8GB graphics card. I had no performance issues with any of them. None of the tracks or cars appear to use the updated/PBR shaders, though there has been some indication that Reiza, "... will revisit the rF2 Bundle and bring it up to the latest specs as best as we can before the end of the year." (https://forum.reizastudios.com/thre...released-now-updated-to-v1-0-2-7.12627/page-7). The cars look fairly basic, with the Vee offering the best modelling to my eye.

Guapore, Ibarra
    Guapore: VRAM 60%, load time 0m30s, sunrise 6.00am, 3km
    Ibarra: 60%, 0m30s, 7.00am, 3.5km
    These can be taken together, as they offer similar things. Short tracks (one layout each) in interesting environments with wide sweeping corners and modest straights. Perfect for close quarters racing in slower cars ... such as those included in this pack. If these tracks were on rotation in a multiplayer server, they would make for some good fun casual racing.

VIR

70% VRAM, 0m40s, sunrise 6.30am, 7km
    Narrow winding track with a lot of elevation changes but not much by way of visual interest. There are 5 layouts, which broadly speaking take sections of the full layout. This is a difficult track to master and I found it hard to overtake on. A nice technical challenge though and it lends itself both to loose, slower cars like the Puma as well as nippy, planted ones like the AJR.

Imola
    70% VRAM, 0m40s, sunrise 6.30am, 5km
    If you are reading this then I'm going to assume you know what Imola is all about and it is maybe the main incentive for buying this pack. This version is excellent, with four variations (1972, 1988, 2001 and 2018) of which the 2018 is the one I am familiar with from other sims. The modelling is good, with plenty going on at trackside and the Italian flag kerbs and 'Imola' track logo on that slow corner. With an update to the latest shaders it would really shine, though it already looks pretty good, particularly at sunrise.

Puma P052 (240 km/h, 0-100 4s), Puma GTE (200, 6s)
    These are quirky, old fashioned cars. The P052 has no headlights. They reach surprisingly high speeds (and quickly, in the case of the P052), which their tyres and downforce are unable to match. Downshift early, turn whilst braking or take a high speed corner without slowing first and you'll be sliding off the track in no time. But slow things down and there is an interesting driving challenge to be had here. Start with the GTE to get the hang of things before moving to the more powerful model. If you can win a race at VIR in one of these then I take my hat off to you.

Formula Vee (180, 5s)
    Looking like a mechanical bug on wheels, the Vee is a slow technical drive (and doesn't have lights). Too much steering input, braking or shifting down before your revs have dropped sufficiently and you'll find yourself sliding sideways into the barriers. A good way to learn open wheel racing though, given the sedate pace and emphasis on good racing lines and braking control. The Vee feels more or less like an open wheel Puma, asking similar things of the driver though lacking the top speed.

MCR (230, 3s)
    This is perhaps the easiest car in the Pack to drive and is perfectly matched for the tracks that it comes bundled with. Picking up speed quickly but topping out early, you won't find yourself flying towards corners, but you can pull away from them nicely and the handling is remarkably forgiving given its low weight and rapid acceleration.

MetalMoro MR18 (3s 260), AJR (2.5s, 270),
    The AJR is the boss car of this pack. It drives like a modern F1 car, with impressive acceleration from standing and similarly convincing braking and grip in corners, though topping out at only 270km/h. The MR18 is a more touchy, less powerful vehicle that requires careful handling through high speed corners as well as when braking in and accelerating out - all of which can easily lead to a spin if misjudged.

My only reservation about the AJR is that for everything it offers, you may well find yourself lusting after the standalone Oreca 07 standalone DLC. That car has many of the same characteristics as the AJR but with a touch more acceleration and top speed with a nicer car model to look at, making it a perfect fit for Le Mans. The AJR is quicker on the brakes and is more stable to corner with though.

Conclusion
    What Reiza is offering here is a broad sweep across the sim racing spectrum. From slow cars and winding tracks to zippy prototypes on a Formula 1 course. It's a useful combination to add into rFactor, giving you the range of experiences that allow you to get the most out of those outstanding rFactor physics.
    2020-11-18 01_32_12-.png 2020-11-18 01_27_13-.png 2020-11-18 01_24_01-.png 2020-11-18 01_17_22-.png

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020