DIY Pedal Base Mod for Rseat N1 chassis to use HE Pedals

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by suryaprihadi, Jul 23, 2017.

1. suryaprihadi

suryaprihadi Registered

Guys,

This seemingly simple project took me like a month to complete ...LOL

So I want to share the details, just in case any of you might encounter the same need.

I got these HE pedals, damn it is so tall and its adjustment possibility if installed the normal way, is totally not comfortable for me. I got small feet, size 7 1/2... LOL.
    a7.1.JPG

So I googled and found this review by MockRacer, on how he installed it on his chassis.
    http://www.mockracer.com/2014/12/he-pro-pedal-impressions.html

But I have a problem, my chassis floor plate where a pedal base is at, is adjustable ( floor extender ) by 10cm forward/back. MockRacer chassis is simpler.

This is how the original pedal base looks like :
    a2.JPG
    a3.JPG

a4.JPG

As per SimPit review/assembly:
    a6.2.JPG

a6.3.JPG

Under the "floor extender" mechanism. So it slide the entire floor plate by 10cm and along with it the pedal base. This is a good feature, as the steering wheel position and distance to driver does not change. So long leg driver can take advantage of this. Only the seat adjustment is what make steering wheel distance and also pedal base distance changes. There is also some more minor adjustment available on the steering base, angle wise and distance wise.
    a6.1.JPG

So i was thinking, I cant lock a fix distance for my pedal base, if i were to mount the HE pedal like how MockRacer did. I got a friend who is 185cm tall who will enjoy this chassis too :)

First I work on what is the angle of comfort I need and the distance I need and what my shortest 15 years old daughter will need leg length wise as she is 10cm shorter than me. So I can't be selfish, must make sure the mod will yield a very adjustable new pedal base positioning, for various leg length and angle too.
    Damn, took me more than a week drawing sketches on what I think as most suitable adjustment mechanism.
    a7.2.JPG

So I got no choice, must make new pedal base as the HE pedals for me must be installed upside down, or perhaps you guys call it top/hanging mount ?
    a8.JPG
    Original function ( adjustment by 4 bolts spacing ) of floor is to be maintained.
    So I came up with this ugly design..... LOL. This freaking thing weight like 15kg or so...
    a9.JPG

Will continue.........

2. suryaprihadi

suryaprihadi Registered

Continue.........

This is how the DIY pedal base looks like.... crude indeed, but I need a very rigid one as the HE pedal is 50kg force. Good thing RSeat N1 50mm tubes for the chassis is VERY stiff.
    So any mod I do, must be better or minimum as good as Rseat , strength and stiffness wise.
    I don't like chassis to move/bend or shake during use. I chosen Rseat N1 because if its 50mm pipe and also it does look good.
    a10.JPG

Now I must think of how I will design an adjustment mechanism.
    As the floor ( DIY pedal base ) move forward, its angle towards any fix position adjustment mechanism will also change. Any friends or my kids difference preference of angle for their footing to pedal vs my setting, means the adjustment mechanism must be as easy as possible to adjust.

The stiffness I expected to get is what made me over built this DIY project, but it was worth it.
    b1.JPG

b2.JPG

b3.JPG

b4.JPG

Measuring something not permanently fixed and not having the actual object to measure was kinda tough...ha ha ha.
    b5.JPG
    b6.JPG

b7.JPG

Sometime drawing something and actual product use when the need for mounting bolts and nuts and other things, need imagination. So the work is very slow. Make the parts half-finsihed, test for its actual use and how I mount pedals, how the bolt/nuts can be placed, how my tool can work on it and so on.
    Since I ask a low-grade machine shop to do it, it takes a long time to complete this DIY project.
    There are things they cant fabricate accurately ... ha ha ha.

Finally it is done, still lacking of final finishing touch, but it works well as planned/designed.
    Not the best looking add-on, but it does its job very well.
    Very stiff. No rattle. No movement. Only single tool needed for adjustment.
    b8.JPG
    b9.JPG

3. suryaprihadi

suryaprihadi Registered

Side view....
    b10.JPG

End of DIY Pedal Base :)

Louis and Ari Antero like this.
  4. naveen

naveen Registered

hi surya. do you dimension for the rseat n1? am trying to build one. thank you.