'Display driver stopped responding' crashes

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Guineapiggy, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

The following fix has made rF modding far less of a headache for me so I thought I'd share. Some have been getting this in certain 3D and 2D apps - not the game but when in '2D mode' when running modelling apps, photoshop's later versions and the likes. The solutions suggested are many and varied but I managed to fix my issues in the following manner, though note that you do so at your own risk. Registry editing done wrong can be disastrous.

It seems the video driver recovery software built in to Windows was just being over-zealous with regards to when it decided the VPU had failed. I knew it wasn't a hardware issue because it didn't happen in intensive fullscreen 3D applications and because the voltage/temperature/general stability/PSU etc. were fine. This may not be the case for you.

2. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I would be careful with tips from guy who doesn't know what is value is and why it doesn't matter in that case.
    But in overall the clue is correct, excepting that it will affect 3d full screen mode also.

3. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Never said it wouldn't, and hey, he never said he didn't understand, he just said he didn't know if changing from HEX to DEC would make a difference.

4. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Here's a simple DEC and HEX table:

DEC numbers: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
    HEX numbers: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F

So, as long as the number is below 9, then you may use HEX or DEC, since there's no difference.

5. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Sounds interesting. I will try this out.

6. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

I never got them till I installed stupid AMD_Catalyst_11.12 version, previously I was using 11.10 and didn't have no problems with crashing, not it's left and right in 3dsMax.

7. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Have you tried ATI driver version 12.1? I'm using it and so far I never get display driver crash like this.

8. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

No thanks for letting me know there is another one out there..lol, actually I got the 12.2 preview drivers.

9. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

It's typically related to either unstable clock speeds, (too low/high) or as mentioned above, some overreactive software checks. On occasion however it is a sign of voltage issues and hardware damage. The problem with the TDR errors is that they have 1001 causes, and whilst mine was simply this there may be another explanation to yours. If this doesn't work look around, see what you can find.

Tell that to the guy who posted this, I just present the post I found. It worked for several others before me and hopefully it'll fix some people's problems here.

Still, if you're getting it in 3DS and similar apps only that's related to what's known as the '2D clock'. The 2D clock is something that the GPU ramps down to when it's doing non-intensive fullscreen 3D work. By default many GPUs throttle down in 2D mode and even reduce the voltage to the GPU slightly. Many manufacturers have been shipping HD5 series ATI cards especially with a 2D speed that's too low to sustain its self and raising the 2D clock has helped them. Oddly for me it was just something about the way a handful of '2D mode' apps including certain editing software and even the Catalyst Control Center, (yeah, that was a real sod in trying to diagnose the problem) interacted with my GPU that made TDR think it was about to crash, which it wasn't.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2012
  10. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I'am impressed. I had this game running for several hours today. All settings to the max + HDR, my GTX275 overclocked by 10% and not a single drivercrash. The best part of it, with max settings i have no stuttering at all. Thank you very much for sharing this.

11. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Glad I could share the relief I felt. Also, up the Irons!

12. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Up the Irons!