Disastrous performance of the Safety Car in Indianapolis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JParra, Feb 24, 2022.

1. JParra

JParra Registered

Hello everyone. I would like to tell you about the bad experience with the Safety Car (Pace Car) last night in Indianapolis, but first I should give you some background.
    We are usually a community of touring cars or GTs, with a competition with more powerful cars in a more strictly simulation competition, which we alternate with a simpler one, where the difficulty is less, the setup is restricted and we adapt some things of the car like these.

Well, in this second more "enjoyable" competition we always do two rounds of about 20 minutes, with the grid inverted in the second race, of the top 10 classified in the first.

Also, it is usual to start the 10-race competition with a race on an oval to start getting to know the car as we change it every competition.

In this case the chosen car is the Tatuus FT-50 and Indianapolis.

Coming to the issue I'm writing about, we decided that instead of doing two 20-minute races at Indianapolis, it would be better to do one 45-minute race, but neutralizing it every 15 minutes, similar to how it's done in NASCAR.

I did the tests and talked to some of you in this thread, and in the end I decided to create a batch with the command (/throwyellow 2) and run it through autochat every 15 minutes with a button on the steering wheel.

So far everything is perfect, tests with AI included, but last night in the race with 20 drivers, the Safety Car had an accident at the start, the positions did not "freeze" when passing the finish line and in general the two neutralizations were a disaster.

Even so, people loved the format, since 3 "mini races" were held in one, without stopping the process and it is very likely that after the summer, in the next competition, the format will be repeated.

I'm sorry for all the long explanation, but I wanted to make it clear that although it didn't work as it should and I would like it to be possible to do what we imagined, it is not an urgency for our competition and if making it work involves a lot of work or advanced configurations, we will surely try another format .

What we would like to know is that we have to take into account for the next time, which parameters to configure in which files and to know if we can make the safety car work as we want.

For example, these are the parameters of the player.json on the server.

"MULTI BlueFlags":1,
    "MULTI Flag Rules":3,
    "MULTI Formation Lap":2,
    "MULTI Safety Car Collidable":false,

Thank you very much for reading this great text and greetings.

DJCruicky likes this.
  2. JParra

JParra Registered

Any ideas or suggestions or links that I can follow to better inform myself about all this for the future?

Thanks.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

because the safety car procedures are soooo messed up, most OFFLINE users just disable the flags & hence the safety car. Online? I don't know. Perhaps just have a virtual safety car where you announce the Yellow Flag and everyone slows down, led by whomever is the leader.

4. JParra

JParra Registered

That a "simulator" like rFactor 2 does not "simulate" well the rules of NASCAR, one of the most prestigious motor competitions in the world, already seemed strange to me.

But the fact that it is not capable of managing a Safety Car fairly well seems unacceptable to me, really.

5. Spyro

Spyro Registered

JParra likes this.
  6. JParra

JParra Registered

Thank you very much, I was hoping that rF2 itself would take into account these basic things of racing simulation without relying on third parties, but I will definitely try that plugin for the next race with these features.