Dirt accumulation / weathering of cars over the course of a session

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by BanjoMaster, Jan 20, 2012.

1. BanjoMaster

BanjoMaster Registered

As always, apologies if this has already been asked (it's possibly too obvious a request not to have been), but with the frenzy of threads on here since the beta launch, finding anything is a bit hit-or-miss. If it is, please feel free to delete this thread.

Is it possible to have a layer in a model’s paint file that fades in over time i.e. to replicate the weathering of cars in endurance racing? There was one particular image of a Peugeot 905 in the final hours of Le Mans that I was looking for on Google to illustrate my point; the flanks of the car are almost entirely black with breakdust and the rest of the car is filthy too. It would be such a cool atmospheric effect to be able to apply to the cars, especially if the track is going to look similarly worn with grooves and marbles etc.

2. toebee

toebee Registered

I think it may be possible, but not yet implemented. There is a shader for a windshield that has a layer for the build up of dirt as well as damage. I haven't tested them yet.

3. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

damage layer might be able to do something with this.... instance in the hdv may as well. switching out parts.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

There is supposed to be something along these lines, but I don't know the finer details.