Direct Drive Wheel - wont function correctly

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Brad C, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Brad C

Brad C Registered

Hi All,

I am new to rfactor2 but coming across for iracing which I have been running for a few years. I have an OSW Argon wheel which I use MMosFFB on my PC and have it all setup and working perfect in iracing.

I am trying to get rfactor2 to work with the same wheel but it's doing strange things. It detects the wheel ok and allows me set it up in the settings in rfactor but in-game it's violent to use and doesn't work - see video to see what I mean. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yeaYR0FrCypqotwHoVr0bec8tQc6qNKa

I expected it would work like it does in iracing, is there something I need to change in settings to get it working normally in rfactor2?

Thanks,
    Brad.

Attached Files:

2. lagg

lagg Registered

I've an OSW Argon - Small Mige too and i use it without problems.
    I have the Max force=50% and the overall filter=0
    Have you driven in track?
    Have you seen if the force works in the opposite way?
    If it's the case edit the "...\rFactor 2\UserData\player\Controller.JSON" or your controller.json and change the sign of the "Steering effects strength" parameter

3. Brad C

Brad C Registered

I tried the max force settings etc, didn't make any difference.

I then adjusted the Controller.JSON from "Steering effects strength" from 10000 down to 100, then down to 10. This stopped the wheel moving violently with huge force to the left and made it much lighter to move. But the steering wheel in the game moves super fast, what I mean is if I now move the actual steering wheel about 1 or 2 degrees, it spins the wheels a full rotation in the game. So it's like it's treating the wheel like a button on a keyboard, on or off, instead of a wheel which has varied movement. That, or, the % is just way out so movement on the actual wheel doesn't match movement of the wheel in the game.

Any ideas??

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I've never used DD wheel, but to me the slider beneath the wheel calibration graph is wrong. The sensitivity slider is comparable to the linearity setting in iRacing. But it works slightly different. A smooth full linear response should have the slider centered. Any setting to the left of center decreases the steering response. At 20% you have to crank the wheel quite a lot to get that initial movement.
    The reverse of moving the slider to the left, which dulls the initial response. Is moving the slider to the right which make the steering react much quicker. The further to the right, the twitchier you steering will become. So try to find a setting as close to the center that suits you
    Next the smoothing is easy to high. That is generally for lower powered wheels that get overwhelmed by the torque requests rF2 sends to the wheel's base. 1 or 0 should be suitable for most upper crust wheels.

5. Brad C

Brad C Registered

I get that for sure, but my wheel is not working at all, so those settings are more of a finer tweak... Right now my wheel does a full rotation when you move it 1mm either way. Its crazy.

I need someone who has a DD wheel in here to advise what settings I need to adjust.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Such fast movement will impact on FFB, so the rotation is your first fix. Then see what's left. Sorry I can't help more.

*as a temporary measure you could try setting up software rotation lock. But your wheel presumably has some settings that would perhaps be better. Someone with similar will need to advise.

**one more thing: someone posted once that their DD wheel rotated itself to death (ripped the wires off) in rF2 because it wasn't properly supported. Not sure how easy it would be to have that happen, but bear it in mind.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  7. Kevin van Dooren

Kevin van Dooren Registered

This reply probably already includes one of the answers to your problem, you need to change the sign of the steering effect strength parameter. As an example, its probably at 10000, and you should change it to -10000. Your FFB seems to be reversed, so instead of some alligning torque towards the center, this torque is now in opposite direction and makes your wheel go crazy.

Your next issue is rotation. This is explained in one of the roadmaps on how to set it up for directdrive wheels such as the osw argon: https://www.studio-397.com/2018/11/roadmap-update-november-2018/

Some final tips from a simucube 1 user....
    I would put back the sensitivity to 100%, to make it linear.
    I'm not completely sure if there is a smoothing option available in argon, or if you already use it or not.
    In case you do use a build-in argon smoothing, I would put the ffb smoothing ingame to 0 and adjust the argon setting to taste :)

lagg likes this.